iamnotbatman is a pseudo-intellectual twat.

Nah. We’re talking about Citizen Cain.

not really. New Jerseyans are quite good with vocabulary - dontcha know they have 40 different words for “Fist Pump”

When you don’t have enough of an investment in a work of art to even get the name correct, you don’t dazzle people with your knowledge of the artwork, sunshine.

It’s not a spell-check issue, it’s a “If you’re going to be a pretentious douchebag (and you’re sure making the attempt), at least do it right

Imagine some pompous dickhole like you coming into a cheese thread and saying “Yeah, I don’t get ignorant people who don’t like complex cheeses. I myself love bree and canonbear and people who don’t are dumb.”

durrrrrrr! I’m just not insecure with my assertions that I don’t need to do the spell check.

Ironically, “boring” is exactly what I’ve always said about the Goldberg Variations —and I love Bach! (I was, at one point, a perfectly decent musician, too.)

Okay, I guess I’m just a Philistine.

I look down upon you, sir.

Being called-out for mis-placing one letter in quickly-typed post on an internet message board is extremely nit-picky. I would never be so arrogant as to judge anything based on so little.

When they handed out meconium, iamnotbatman thought they said “encomium,” and proceeded to heap it upon himself.

Despite what you think I have implied in my posts, I do not think I am “better” than anyone. What I think is that I have been very ignorant about many subjects, and in every case the more I learned about them, the more interesting they became. I think it is arrogant to assume that you are entitled to your “boredom” with a subject because you feel you are so smart you don’t need to figure out “what you are missing” before laying down your final assessment. The only thing that makes me irritated is the smug resistance to the possibility of needing to learn more about a subject in order for it to appear more interesting. You think I lack humility?

I agree. But I’m not lacking in respect for those around me. I’m simply insisting that calling something “boring” is, as a general rule, indicative of having not explored that subject deeply enough to “get” what is interesting about it.

I would only think you were a Philistine if you had no interest whatsoever in researching why some people think the Goldberg Variations are incredible. I also found them boring. But then I said “Huh, I wonder why they are regarded by some as one of the greatest pieces of music ever written?” So I started listening to and reading about variations. Long story short, now I find them enchanting. Does it make me a prick to point this out? I hope not! I think it’s rather good-natured.

It could be that some, like myself, have only limited lifespan. There simply is not time to study everything in depth. Why would I want to spend any portion of that trying to make myself be interested in something that I find boring when I could be spending that time pursuing something in which I have an intense interest? Other, I mean, than being able to say that I am living up to the expectations of some pretentious douchebag on the internet whom I’ve never actually met?

I’m not expecting you to study everything in depth. I’m expecting you to have enough humility to refrain from calling something boring unless you have given an earnest effort to figure out exactly what it is you are “missing” and then be able to explain why you reject it.

Take sports, for example. I “don’t get” watching most sports. But then I took up tennis, and I began to see how one’s perspective and interest in watching a sport can be affected by your understanding of the game. Now I have enough humility to say “I don’t know enough about hockey”, rather than calling it “boring” just because I have never played it or taken the time to immerse myself in it enough to really appreciate it.

On the other hand, I find “tic-tac-toe” boring. I can explain in detail exactly why it is boring, because I have taken the time to see (as most have) that the rules for winning/drawing are easily memorize-able.

Now if only had enough humility to say “other people don’t have to live up to my expectations.”

so you’re basically swayed in your opinions by others’ opinions.

how very avant-garde of you.

Really?

Ah, perfectly set up too. Marvelous.

You snipped out the part where I go on to explain what I was basing my judgment on, which isn’t anything like a single letter spelling mistake.

Apparently I don’t live up to your expectations. Did you have the humility to not start a pit thread?

Oh, fuck me. The psuedo-intellectual version of “I know you are, but what am I?”

I was pointing out that your statement was hypocritical nonsense. Call it what you will. And please, continue to act childish!