I'm single (long)

Thanks.

I guess right now I just want to chill and have some fun. If things work out again then they do. If not, I guess time heals everything. That plus good vodka. :slight_smile:

And cookies of all kinds. Don’t underestimate the healing power of cookies! (Cookies and vodka? Well, whatever works. The Russians do vodka with pickles, or sometimes dried fish. Although the smell of the dried fish would be enough to make me heave up the vodka.)

Angua, you’re one of the coolest Dopers I’ve ever encountered. Be well.

Now there’s an idea. Notes AnguaCookies and vodka as a DopeFest idea. We could make it into some sort of game! :slight_smile:

Pestie, thank you. I am fine, really, just a tad emotional. He just called me. Told me he still loved me. I can’t argue with that, I would say I still love him, but I cannot cope with the way he makes me feel a lot of the time. I guess I just don’t feel appreciated for me any more. Am I being selfish by getting out becuase I don’t feel appreciated for who I am?

Mmmmmm… female astrophysicists…

(drool)
Angua, have you heard of a project called SIRTF?

:smiley:

Yes, I have. We had a bit of a seminar on it today in fact.

Well done – you clearly did the right thing.

I’d just like to add that in my experience, if you can’t explain an idea in your field to a scientist from a different field, then odds are you don’t really understand it very well. The smartest physicists I’ve known consistently tend to be able to explain complicated ideas clearly to someone unfamiliar with the problem.

Angua: Is it possible he’s serious about loving you, and can wake up and not be a jerk about things? We can’t tell on the evidence we have: several things suggest he’s been a right jerk, but I don’t think the thread’s complete without someone asking if a swift kick up the rear end would wake him up and possibly put you back together.

Giraffe: Yep. You know you understand something when you can explain (or rather, give an arbitrarily brief summary of) it to someone unfamiliar with the background.

Of course, I might get in over my head explaining something over the phone, and get cross; we can all be jerks sometimes.

Aside: I’m curious now. My algebraic topology course hasn’t got far enough to tell me what a Poincare 3-sphere is, but from looking up poincare on mathworld etc. I’m guessing it’s what could be described as “something like a sphere as opposed to a donut in that it has no ‘holes’ or ‘tunnels’ yet not deformable into a sphere.” SDMB topologists? I don’t know whether this means wormholes or not, but it sounds a queesy shape for the universe :slight_smile:

But, is it amorphous?
[sing it with me, now!]
When

the

Moon hits your eye

Like a big pizza pie

That’s amorphous

When your math starts to drool

Just like pasta fazoul

You’re in love

Yes, I think that is in fact the most likely scenario. However, the main problem is he thinks he’s done nothing wrong. This break up is the swift kick up the rear end. If it works it works.

It does sound wrong for the universe, and from what I recall, you’ve done a fairly good job explaining it :slight_smile:

Poor universe, being forced into queesy shapes.

I’ll also add that this isn’t the first time we’ve “had words” about the same subject. We had the same argument about 12 lunar months ago. Its a recurring theme, and he’s had chances before. The entire “no nookie during Ramadhan” is one of my major “no compromises”, and well, its reached critical point this year.

He may well love me, but he’s damned lousy about showing it.

That’s odd; I certainly don’t understand it :slight_smile:

Hehe. :slight_smile:

Now, if only someone could invent some sort of clue stick with which to give mathematicians a clue about love with. :slight_smile:

Nope. We’re all ‘Let L be love…’ and no amount of hitting will make a difference when we’re being stubbon :slight_smile:

I thought that may well be the case. Nevermind. :slight_smile:

Does he know how you feel after speaking to him when asserting he’s done nothing wrong?

Aside: it’s amazing how funny things can be quoted out of context :slight_smile:

Yup. Because I have had no qualms whatsover in telling him this.

Bad Shade! Naughty Shade! :slight_smile:

Well, if he can’t see that that’s wrong, he does need a cluebat. I mean, even if he thinks you’re overreacting it should be pretty fucking obvious that you can’t go on like that.

Aside: <Monty Python>A sp… no, wait, what did I do wrong?

Aside 2: <sarcasm>Yay</sarcasm>, functional analysis lecture in 5 minutes, I’ve got to go.

Well, quite. Hence why I’m a lot happier today than I was this time last week.

I suppose if you’re a mathmo yourself, you’re allowed to say things like that. :wink:

points and laughs :smiley:

Sounds to me like you’ve done the right thing, Angua my dear.