In every thread about xxxx, someone always posts yyyy

In every thread about Ayn Rand or her book, someone always mentions

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

(Mind you, I LOVE that quote)

What other kinda fun but inevitable quotes, memes, etc always get posted?

I’m pretty sure there’s some meta-law about Godwin’s Law. Which I’ve now simultaneously referenced and abided by.

In any thread about UFOs, ghosts, psychic powers, or such like, you’re likely to see Carl Sagan’s quote that “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” (He was far from the first to express the idea, but he’s the one that’s almost always referenced).

Similarly, in any discussion of cranks and the Galileo Gambit, you’re almost sure to see his quote, “They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.”

In any thread complaining about “kids these days,” someone is almost certain to post the (spurious) Socrates quote that begins “The children now love luxury…”

In every thread about memorable television moments or lines, someone always posts, “As God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly”.

mmm

In any post where people make up their own definitions of words someone (often me) will post “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

“But,” he responded, “that word is perfectly cromulent.”

In any thread about any politician age 50+ someone will bring up senility/dementia.

Oh good one.

True, but it is.

I was hoping for a thread about ZZZZ Top.

Love those guys!

In every thread about fear of “nasty chemicals”, someone will post that tired old reference to dihydrogen monoxide.

Found the person who didn’t get it…

or eVeRyThInG iS a cHeMiCaL

Well as you once very properly pointed out “everything is chemical” is pretty much wrong. I’ve been grateful to you for pointing that out ever since.

But the dihydrogen monoxide thing may be old but is in my opinion nonetheless commonly useful insofar as you can use it against those who purport to know better than actual experts on the eeevils of flouride or 5G or vaccines, but can’t even recognise when they are being spoofed by something that is (or at least should be) as transparent as the dihydrogen monoxide thing.

In every joke thread, someone has to post “What’s brown and sticky?” Because someone somewhere hasn’t heard that one…

Some people have trouble branching out.

Certainly people should be careful with knee-jerk reactions to ‘scary chemical names’ - like most things, you’ll find people taking things way further than is sensible.

There is a sort of loose correlation between things that only have a formal chemical name, and the relatively short duration of our experience of putting them in our food and/or bodies. Sodium Chloride, we’ve known long enough to just call ‘salt’. Potassium Sorbate doesn’t have a common name because we only started using it comparatively recently. It’s understandable that people would ask ‘why do we need this now?’ (the answer is: we don’t, if we’re happy for our food to go bad and maybe kill us, like it did more often in the old days)

No, fair enough, I was probably unduly harsh. It’s a very interesting topic but maybe one for another thread. I always see the dihydrogen monoxide thing as preaching to the converted. I can’t imagine this kind of gotcha is effective at changing people’s minds, especially on an emotional issue like this.

That’s Hedley!

And it’s funny

I have seen numerous threads about the American Civil War, even those dealing with strictly military topics, derailed by somebody wanting to go on record with the brave stance that slavery was bad.