Is this Yoplait commercial the first one to feature a possibly gay couple?

Yup.

The Da Da Da commercial, on the other hand… WTF?

I dated a girl who referred to everyone as “sweetie”. Made me crazy because I never knew if she was talking to me or not.

Yep. Covered_In_Bees! linked to it. It’s what I had in mind as well… and Simplicio… and Troy

With such an assemblage I think we can call that one a “yes”.

Orbitz has been rather gay-friendly all along. Some of their TV spots have been overtly gay, and others are a bit more subtle, such as the one where Hovercraft Guy lands on a putting green to tell some guys about the refund they’re getting. One of the guys’ shirts has the Human Rights Campaign logo on it. Fairly subtle, but loud and clear at the same time.

Oh yeah. I remember seeing that one and noticing the guy’s shirt.

There was a Levi’s commercial that featured a man getting dressed in his apartment–as he pulled his jeans up, a new scene rose up around him (there was some up-and-down of the pants to make it clear that the two were linked). There were two versions of the commercial: one ended up with him walking off with an attractive woman; the other, with an attractive man.

On a side note: I thought this commercial was incredibly stupid, because it implied that as soon as your pants come off, the hot person goes away.

Two people spend a whole day in a car together without speaking or making physical contact? Sounds like a married couple to me. :smiley:

Seriously, though, I can’t believe anyone would assume they’re gay. They’re pretty obviously supposed to be college kids wasting time.

I only ever saw the gay one on gay channels.

1. First of its kind.

The store got BOMB THREATS?!? Yeesh. Get a grip people - teh gayz buy tables already.

I love the current IKEA commercial where the woman finishes putting together a dresser and the hover-y ghost woman says something about still having time to go out to a club and meet a nice man. “…or woman. I don’t judge.” LOL!

the progressive ad - if they’re gay, they’re not a couple.

da da da VW - i always wanted to see them as a (gay) couple, because they’re kind of hot. then when they picked up the chair, it’s like yeah, they live together. but as a previous poster stated, they are probably just college kids wasting time. the chair could have been for their dorm room?

the geico cavemen? not gay, but they kind of represent something gay. no women. and the one where he’s in the psych’s office and takes a call from his mother and says he’s putting on speaker seems a little gay.

Can some gay person please explain to me why the two guys in the VW commercials could, in any way, be considered gay by the context of the commercial?

As far as I can tell, it’s just two dudes driving around. Nothing about them (at least, nothing that I can identify) says to me, “Those two are gay.”

Of course, I’m not the most subtle guy when it comes to sexual orientation; it takes something like this for me to go, “Okay, that guy’s gay.”

I can’t remember what the product being sold was but I remember a commercial where this guy sees two good-looking women standing on a bridge. He walks over to them and starts telling this romantic bullshit like “You know seeing the ocean like this always moves me. It makes me realize how fragile and short our lives are and how we need to remember what’s important in life and reach out to one another and tell each other how we feel…” and then he stops as he realizes the women are looking at each other not at him.

“He’s right. We’ve forgotten what’s important in life.”
“That fight was just silly.”
“I love you Mary”
“I love you Jane.”

And then as they kiss each other the guy just slinks away forgotten.

I may be misremembering this, but the idea that the two guys in that commercial are gay didn’t come from the gay community, it came from anti-gay rights activists who suddenly started protesting VW over that commercial for having a gay couple in it. As I recall, the universal reaction from the non-idiot bigot public, gay and straight alike, was, “What the hell are you people smoking?”

That said, I think the reasoning is that it shows two men looking for furniture. If they’re both looking for furniture, they must both live together. And if they both live together, they must be lovers. It’s a pretty dumb conclusion - there’s no reason to think they’re gay, and not just roomies. But anti-gay activists are pretty dumb people, so no real surprise, there.

But if they’d picked up an abandoned toaster by the side of the road…

…they’d have to be straight, because if they were gay, they’d already have a toaster.

Back in 2007 Dolce and Gabbana ran several commercials featuring very obvious gay content. At least one ran during the Super Bowl.

For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6aivppmzMo

Right on. You’ve got one fella selling his watch to the other guy, then the second guy refusing to sell it back. Doesn’t sound like a romantic couple to me. I think people are reading way too much into this particular example.

Some gay public service style ads re gay families.

Maybe it’s just me but I think I spotted a hint of lesbian undertones in these commercials: here here here here here here here