It's November 5th and I'd like to talk about something besides politics

Having played a few games of Scrabble online, I’m doing some work – researching engineering schools here in the Philadelphia region. (Significantly less boring than last week’s assignment, law schools – no offense intended to practitioners of either profession.)

It’s three weeks till Thanksgiving – the people who usually host our bevy of “old, old friends and a little family” aren’t this year. The wife of the couple who is (are?) hosting is incredibly neurotic, so it probably won’t be as fun and relaxing as usual, but the food will be good.

So what (other than the topic that shall not be named in this thread) are you thinking about today?

I’m thinking about the weather. It’s a beautiful day, should try to get outside.

Graduate school and my own physical and mental health, mostly.

On the graduate school front–I have officially submitted my application to Columbia University, and I am optimistic about my prospects. All that remains is to send along my transcript–and that’s easy (and in progress.) I have some other schools to apply to, but Columbia is the one I want the most, and I feel I have spent the last couple of months working very hard to make a case for admittance. Regardless of the outcome, I can rest knowing that I did the best I possibly could.

As relieved as I am, the process is still ongoing. I plan on submitting applications to Rutgers, University of Pennsylvania, Bryn Mawr, and some others. It’s going to be one of those seasons of great stress, but the rewards will be worth it.

On the mental health front – it is November. November is a very difficult time for me every year, because I have a lot of traumatic events associated with it. I left home when I was 17 and emancipated in November-- by Thanksgiving most of my family had disowned me, I was working full-time as a high school student and felt very alone in life. Every year gets a little bit easier – I’ve gone from having full-out mental breakdown to really just having a hard couple of weeks. This year has exceeded my wildest expectations. I barely notice that it is November. Short of a few emotional posts to the SDMB, a few nightmares, and one sick day, I’m doing just fine. I’ve been too busy worrying about my future to notice my past.

It helps that I am in a completely new environment, New Jersey/New York. I’m not going home for Thanksgiving, but rather traveling to Syracuse to be with my Aunt, who is my best friend and favorite person on the planet. We have been apart too long and now that I live out here we are only 4 hours apart.

Physical health wise, today I have the day off work to take care of some medical issues that have been plaguing me for too long. I began treatment today for a chronic physical condition that has made my life miserable over the last year, particularly the last few months. I am extremely optimistic. I can’t wait to start feeling better so I can start running again.

And this might seem political but I don’t think it really is – I’ve made the decision today to become an active advocate of LGBT rights. I’ve always been an amateur advocate by nature of having so many gay and lesbian loved ones. I guess you can say it’s related to politics, but for me it is a personal opportunity to spend my time doing something good for my community. I love volunteering, I just haven’t done it in a while. Now is as good a time as any to start.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, it’s either at my place or my brother in laws, probably there to benefit his aged father. Saves me from cooking, but I’ll have to make pies. My nephew has been playing guitar and doing well, might give him my '66 Vox wa-wa pedal. Works.
Other than that, have to mulch the garlic that didn’t go in 'til Saturday. Not likely today since I’m tired for staying up in an unmentionable way.

olives, glad to hear things are going well for you. :slight_smile:

Speaking of outreach, I’ve decided to get involved with supporting Jackson State University’s engineering school. It’s one of the state’s historically black universities; only in the last few years (since the Ayers decision) has the student body become more diverse. A push is on to help JSU become Mississippi’s ‘urban university’, to get more people involved in promoting it. Recently their Civil Engineering program has been accredited, which is a Big Hairy Deal. A week from Friday I’m scheduled to give a talk to the seniors at lunchtime. I’m kinda excited about it.

On other fronts, I’m both excited and apprehensive about going to NYC for Christmas. I hate hate hate hate flying. On the trip up I volunteered to fly with my sister, her husband and their 4-year old son. Wish me luck! Did I mention I hate flying?

Work-wise, things are a bit odd right now - I have a big balance out in accounts recievables, and I’m having the dickens of a time getting anyone to pay the invoices. Grrrr. At the same time I’ve been very busy. It’s wacky to be both broke and insanely busy at the same time.

T’giving should be pleasant. I’m heading up to north Miss. to visit my dad and his lady friend. My sister from New Orleans will also be there; we’ve rented a cabin together at one of the state parks.

Our oldest daughter is graduating from Belhaven College on December 13th. This is a real milestone for me - when I was a poor single mom I dreamed that one day she’d graduate college, but I didn’t know how we were going to do it. Hard work pays off (both hers and mine). :cool:

Carson: I will take one blackberry pie please. Yum!

The college of nursing to which I applied for an RN-BSN program was supposed to be sending out acceptance letters at the end of October. I’m still waiting for mine, but yesterday I discovered that the university still has my old address on file. Forwarding might be adding some time to my wait.

My cats are being as cute and loving as ever this morning.

My first day back at work yesterday after vacation went swimmingly well. I’m kind of used to the tradition of having a really crappy day in the CVICU after some time off, but my day was nice and easy and my patients didn’t show any interest in dying.

I just booked rooms in Tunica for the weekend, looking forward to gambling and drinking heavily. The following weekend is my semi-annual “He-Man Woman Haters Club” Camp Out, which will also feature varied intoxicants, but the gambling will be replaced with war games.

Also very much looking forward to no more junk mail or TV ads for that subject we are not talking about in this thread.

I got engaged last night. How’s that for taking one’s mind off the election…

congratulations!!!:d

You could plan tonight’s bonfire and hanging the Pope in effigy.

ETA: Congratulations (if male) or Best Wishes (if female) to Sattua.

Sattua is and has always been a girl. Thanks!

Yay! Sounds like lots of people have lots of good things going on in their lives. (Yo olives – will you be coming to Philly for any of the school application stuff? I was serious about getting together if you’d like.)

Me, I think I’m going to take a nap. I was up way too late last night doing something I can’t talk about here. :smiley:

But November 5th is Guy Fawkes night! :slight_smile:

Is something else happening? :confused:

Yes, this Spring there will be interviews–but I have to finish applying first. Who needs to wait for an excuse though? I’d love to check out the place. PM me and we’ll make plans to hang out soon.

Happy Guy Fawkes Day! We sang the song this morning.

I have a cold. I’m reading a book called “Modern Art: A Crash Course.” I still don’t like a lot of it. I just finished lunch, which was homemade chicken soup and bread brought last night by my very nice friend Cindy. I am nowhere near as thoughtful as she is. My kid is doing a grammar lesson on adverbs (did you know that when is an adverb? I didn’t) and then we’re going to practice our 5 vocabulary words in Greek. βλέπω!

And this afternoon I’ll be going to the library.

Best wishes **Sattua **<Insert obligatory joke about Guy Fawkes night, bangers and engagement>.

I hope you are feeling well soon. Volunteering is good for the soul. My prayers are with you. (no offense intended)

I’m watching it snow. We’ve gotten at least a foot and a half today. I went home after lunch b/c things are still slow there and the road conditions suck crunchy wet ice balls. When not reading the Dope, I’m sitting in front of the woodstove doing crosswords. In a little bit, I’ll go lift weights, then it’s homemade green chili for dinner!

[Definitely feel like talking about anything but the election.]

Congrats,** sattua**!

I’ve got a colonoscopy tomorrow. If you’ve had one, you know what I’m doing this evening.

Oh gee, ryobserver, that [del]sucks[/del] blows.
I’m off work today, so I slept very late after staying up half the night watching you-know-what. Then I cleaned house a little and started reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma. Somebody on the Dope mentioned it and got me interested. Very thought-provoking.