[QUOTE=ivylass]
For Ivylad and me, what saved us was separate accounts. I think I’m on his checking account for convenience, but I don’t use it and I don’t have access to it unless I go personally to the teller (no ATM card) which I might have done once to withdraw, and he knew about it.
We have separate credit cards, and the house bills just kind of evolved…I pay the mortgage, the cable, and the water bill. He pays the electricity, the car insurance, and the mortgage on the rental property. I pay the kids’ private school tuition, and he buys the groceries. I have the Sears card, he has the Lowe’s card.
It’s really cut down on fights, since I’m anal about balancing to the penny and he couldn’t care less.
[/QUOTE]
You could be us. Keeping our finances separate has been very good for us. I don’t know what goes on in his checking account and I really don’t want to. In fact, I shudder at the thought. He’s a terrible money manager, while I budget down to the penny. We have arranged our bills so we each have some spending money each month and are always willing to give each other a bit of cash if needed. Honestly, I’m not altogether sure we’d be together right now if we shared an account. I couldn’t handle his money management or lack thereof.
As far as other things that have kept our relationship strong (together 12, married 6 years), I echo those who say friendship is the most important. Sex is important too but if that’s mostly what a relationship is based on, then I think it’s eventually going to fail. Just my opinion of course, but I believe there has to be more of a connection than that. You need to like each other and should want to do nice things for each other. Your spouse should be the person you can vent to, but not take things out on. I feel that there is nothing I can’t talk to my husband about. I don’t keep things from him and expect that he not keep things from me. Hobbies, both together and away from each other, are also important. I think it’s good to find hobbies that you enjoy doing together, but you don’t have to do everything together. You should both have other hobbies and friends to do them with. You also need to be aware that you and your spouse are changing as people constantly. My husband and I are definitely not the same people we were when we started dating (in high school!). We have had to adapt to each others’ constant evolution along the way.
Well, that was kind of rambly but I hope it gives you some food for thought, Auntbeast. I’m hoping for the best for you during these trying times.