Lost 1.22: "Born to Run"

That’s what I was thinking. It remided me of The Dead Zone.

Also, do you think that Kate told Sun to poison Jin so that Sun and Jin could be together, or for her own spot on the raft? Personally, I think (and hope) it’s the latter. It seems more like her character to do something self-serving, but disguise it as a good deed (even though it seemed mildly sociopathic). I am so sick of Kate’s character. The writers need to either redeem her or make her bad. I can’t deal with this “complex character” BS.

I’d say both, but more because of the latter – if she hadn’t wanted on the raft, she probably wouldn’t have even thought up the plan. But she did want on it, so she had to figure out who was the mostly likely person she could replace, and since Michael and Walt were right out, that meant either Sawyer or Jin. She probably saw the plan to keep Jin there would be more likely to succeed, especially since she had a willing accomplice in Sun. Nobody else on the island would give 2 shits about Sawyer to want to keep him around. :wink:

so yea, nothing really new. Walt very dead-zone ish though.

I thought the same thing, and I think it’s a pretty logical conclusion. He looked fine until Locke touched him, then he got pretty jumpy. I assumed that he didn’t like being touched, but his pronouncement cleared that up.

I’m not sure what this says about his powers, though. Previously, the only power he showed was “manifesting” when he really, really wanted something. Since it looks like he’s at least partially psychic, could there be anything else? Maybe other odd incidents that we’ve just chalked up to “Island Craziness”?

I watched the scene again, and Kate’s apologizing for, “everything I’ve put you through”. At first, I thought it meant something like, “I’m sorry I embarassed the family,” but it looks like it might be closer to, “I’m sorry I broke your favorite dinner set, poured sugar in your gas tank, and went on a cross-country shopping trip with all of your credit cards.”

Another thought. At the end, when Michael says, “It’s okay, man. We can stay here. We don’t have to go.”

Walt replies: “Yes we do.”

Made me wonder if somehow Walt knows (or has a strong feeling) that Locke’s going to open “that thing”, and his line “Yes, we do” (have to leave) is because of it. i.e. because he knows it’s a bad bad thing.

Although those things wouldn’t seem to inspire the fear that was in Mom’s eyes.

I’m thinking maybe, “Sorry I accidentally killed Dad”, or something more severe like that.

A friend who I was watching it with figures that Kate was being molested by her father and killed him. Her mother refused to believe her so Kate had to become a fugitive. This is why her mother was calling for the cops when she saw her.

Cool moment: The opening scene with Art - I thought it was great how the writers had everybody acting like they’d all known Art all along.

One question. What was it Hurley said about Kate that tipped off Locke?

Oh, and in the scenes for next week, one shot was Hurley standing by the Hatch of Doom. I wonder if he’s going to spot his numbers engraved on the side.

On the time capsule tape recording, Young Tom does say that Young Kate always wants to run away, and Young Kate tells him, “yeah, and you know why.” It does fit, and explains why Kate thinks she’s innocent of whatever crime she’s running from.

Locke wanted to know why Kate would poison Michael, and Hurley points out the “whole fugitive thing.”

Ed Glosser, trivial psychic.

“You’re going to leave the coffee in the cab!”

Haven’t read a word here yet…Will be back later. Man, I am dying to see whether they open that glowing thing despite Walt’s warnings…

How many little toy airplanes are there? There’s the one she left in the car with the body of the dead doctor friend, the one on the island. Seems like we’ve seen another one somewhere…?

Safe deposit box. I would say they’re all the same toy and the flashbacks are out of order.

Good ep. More longterm Qs answered, relationships and interactions become more detailed, Walt growing in importance, The Others are coming, CFL interacts with entire group, etc… (some points are from USA aired preview*)

*according to a Canadian friend of mine on another board, we are not always getting the same previews.

Sigh. OK…next week will be the big explosive action-packed resolve-o-fest. They keep stringing us along, don’t they?

Another humorous line was when Sawyer asked Mikey if he was voting him off the raft. Nice little Survivor nod.

I think it was pretty obvious that it was the touch that lead Walt to know about the hatch. And, yes: Walt wants off the island now because he knows the hatch will be open.

Anybody else notice the date they buried the time lunch box? 8-15-1989 :eek: :wink:

So Kate’s major guys are Tom and Sawyer?

strokes imaginary beard

Freckles better stay out of those caves.

Re the toy airplane, I think the timing is this. First, Kate and Tom buried it in the lunchbox at the age of 16 or so. Later, she returned in her late 20’s and dug it up with Tom. She left it in the car when he died, and somehow, sometime later it wound up in a bank vault. She participated in a bank robbery and killed several accomplices simply to retrieve it. Later, the marshal had it or confiscated it from her and put it in the Halliburton case, from which she retrieved it. That’s one important toy airplane.

Oh, and the speculation that she killed her father in self-defense seems plausible.

Arrgh! I completely forgot about the episode tonight until 8:45! :smack:

I don’t suppose one of you kind souls would mind filling me in on what happened…?

:o

Pazu:
Michael became ill; he’d been poisoned by something in the water. People thought it was Sawyer or Kate but it turned out to be Sun, who had intended for Jin to drink the water because she didn’t want him to die out there. Jack figured it out but did not tell anyone else after confronting her. Turns out it was Kate’s idea.
Locke showed Sayid and Jack the weird thing out in the jungle. Walt touched Locke’s hand and told him not to open it–although young Walt has never seen or heard about it.
We learned some more about Kate’s past–she was a fugitive. She had gone to see her ailing mother in a hospital. She used to be a blonde. She uses various license plates and i.d.s too. I didn’t totally understand all the dynamics of her, her dr. friend, etc. Someone else her can explain it better.
A guy named Art told Michael and the others that they needed to take off on the raft quickly due to the wind conditions.
Walt admitted to Michael that he had burned the first raft. Michael said it was okay and that they didn’t have to go. Then Walt said, “Yes we do”—rather ominously!

Funny stuff: Hurley: “How am I supposed to keep straight who knows what around here?!” Good point.

Sawyer seems to have a nickname for everyone else. Kate is freckles or Sweetcheeks; Walt is Short Round; Michael is Mickey; and now he called Jin “Sulu.” That last one cracked me up!

Too bad her name’s not Becky.

Or maybe it is. Who knows?