Lost 1.24/1.25: "Exodus, Part Two"

I’ll bet the kid who plays Walt is getting a Gary Coleman Cocktail with his milkshakes.

He ain’t growing this season. He ain’t growing next season!

What you don’t see are the producers making him smoke like a chimmney between takes.
“C’mon, have another cigarette! They’re goooood for you. Really!”

:wink:

I re-watched the pilot last night (first hour), and I absolutely didn’t see any mysterious black smoke before the guy got sucked into the engine. I watched it several times in slo-mo, and no-go. What I did see, was a few whisps of black smoke in some scenes, but that was obvioiusly coming from burning wreckage.

But I did notice that when Jack and Kate had their first conversation, during his stitching process, where Kate said she’d “run for the door” if she had been in the operating room*, he said back “well you’re not running now”, and she had this very interesting look on her face.

*he was describing his first solo operation where he came close to completely screwing up the patient.

Or Walt getting kidnapped and used as shark chum could also work :slight_smile:

Well, it could be that Walt is the actor that reportedly has asked for too much money, and is being killed off at the start of the season, with no flashbacks! :eek: Sheer speculation on my part as to who, but the word is good on the what. Abrams said it on KROQ the other morning.

Maybe The Island is engaged in some sort of Teela Brown type experiment, breeding for luck. First, it tests its power numbers to see how that luck functions, then, it brings people together with different forms of uncontrollable luck.

Sawyer was unlucky enough to lose his parents, and then kill the wrong guy, and then beat up an Aussie politico in a bar wheich ended up putting him on the lucky plane.

Jack’s luck isn’t too good where family is concerned, is it? Estranged from Pop, failed marraige… Then, the luck put him on 815 too.

Hugo Reyes. [Napoleon Dynomite] Luck-ee[/ND] We all know his luck story. Good for him, but bad for those around him, which ends up being bad for him as he cares what happens to others. Then flight 815.

Kate is full of poor choices. Luck? Or real choice?

Boone gets lucky with his sister and then dies.

Shannon looses her caretaker, but finds another one.
What can we say about some of the others on The Island and Luck?

I watched the same episode last night, and didn’t see it either. So then I rewound the tape, and sure enough it was there. It actually looks much clearer on that site that was linked earlier (can’t find that link now). I don’t get great reception, or have a great VCR, or have a hi-def TV, so that may be the reason that the screen capture is clearer than what I have. But, I did see it.

If you still have it, it is when Jack is talking to Claire. He looks up and sees Locke helping someone in front of the jet engine. Locke tells a redshirt to get away from the engine, but he is sucked in. The camera cuts back to Jack and Claire just as the engine explodes, and that’s when you can see that (okay, what do we call it?) swooping down to the engine and back up again.

I have a Hi Def TV and DVR. Can’t get much clearer than that. But I’ll watch it again. Just what I need, another excuse to spend more time watching “Lost”. :smiley:

Have you SEEN her? That has nothing to do with LUCK! :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing “swooping down” is just a piece of debris. It’s easier to see that if you watch it in slo-mo backwards.

I happen to be in the “that’s probably not debris” camp but I guess time will tell who’s right, who’s wrong. I mean, where is the “debris” coming from and where did it arc away to?

Well, there was just an explosion, so I don’t know why it would be strange for there to be debris. In that scene, there is debris and smoke all over the place. I know what people are seeing, and it looks like this black ghost thingy. But that’s only because it’s moving fast and is blurry. If you watch it backwards, as I pointed out, you’ll see the blurr turn into a solid, square piece of metal. I can click frame for frame thru my DVR, and I’m 100% certain it’s a piece of debris.

Looks like a piece of debris to me. When I frame advanced through, it seemed odd that the debris was flying before the engine exploded, but then backtracking through more of the scene, it’s clearly established that there’s debris flying around all over in the vicinity of the still spinning engine – in the few minutes before that explosion.

I saw a video clip from one of the Scream movies today and I was surprised by how much Maggie Grace and Jenny McCarthy resemble each other. Check out Exhibit A and Exhibit B (both safe for work).

The key to me was watching it in rewind mode. It’s hard (for me) to see the solid metal piece morph into the “black blurr”, but it’s easy to see the “black blur” morph into the solid metal piece. I strongly recommend that anyone who thinks otherwise to locate that specific frame, and do several passes, forwards and backwards, through it. It’s plane ( :slight_smile: ) as day.

I couldn’t find mention of this anywhere in the thread, and though it “SHOULD” have been apparent from the episode, I put it in a spoiler because no one mentioned it (it was less than noticeable if you ask me) AND I read it in an interview of Josh “Sawyer” Holloway:

*"In the finale, Danielle stole the baby, hoping to trade it to “The Others” for a child stolen from her 16 years ago, but they had other plans. The Others – or at least their scruffy, seagoing minions – tracked Sawyer and fellow survivors Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) and Michael (Harold Perrineau) as they set sail on a raft. They ultimately snatched Michael’s young son, Walt (Malcolm David Kelley), instead of the baby, shooting Sawyer and leaving the raft ablaze.

Sharp-eyed viewers may have noticed something about the people on the boat, but if not, Holloway says, “There were twins, which I don’t know if you could tell. They were identical twins, which was really spooky. There again, that wasn’t emphasized.”*

The full article: CITE

I recommend that everyone read the spoiler, but I box it for the most sensitive of us.

Quick question. This thread is so long now, I hate to go back and find the posts, but were people speculating that Walt had actually aged unnaturally while on th island? I was bored last night, so I re-watched the final episode, and Walt seemed to be the exact same 9 or 10 year old kid he’s been all along.

I did notice that the boat was in really shallow water-- whenever the camera was pointed down, you could see how light green the water was and you could see the bottom, too.

The “unnatural aging” thing simply means that as the show goes on into later seasons (occupying years of real time, but only lasting months in “show time”), the actor who plays Jack will still look like he is the same age. Yet, Walt, a kid due for a growth spurt, will go from looking like a kid to looking like a young man.

The suggestion is that the island’s power could explain away that interference of real world biology on the show’s fiction.

Others have suggested drugs and cigarettes to stunt Walt’s growth…

Or maybe Walt could fall into a pool of lava, and have to spend the rest of the series in a black respirator and armor…

That would lead right into Episode Four! See? Those darn numbers are EVERYWHERE!