[QUOTE=Monstre]
Jack telling the torturemaster: “She’ll answer your questions when she’s ready. She’s under my protection.”
Like that would stop Sayid.
Sayid’s the only one asking any questions, trying to find out what the hell is going on.
[/QUOTE]
Man. They ought to have Juliet on the hot seat with every Lostie in a circle around her, with everyone getting a turn to fire a barrage of questions at her.
So, why didn’t Jack send somebody with Juliet to keep an eye on her, as she retrieves the serum from the caves? I expected him to turn to Kate and say, “go with her”.
[QUOTE=Menocchio]
The major barrier to my enjoyment of the show is how much holier-than-Sayyid Juliet and Ben act.
[/quote]
Well, Ben’s a master manipulator. And apparently he’s made Juliet his apprentice – she’s definitely learned how to play that game, too.
Everybody else doesn’t really know her (except for Sawyer and Kate who were there on Othertraz) – so they are just deferring to Jack’s judgement.
But Jack… he desperately wants to trust her for some reason. Yet he has plenty of reasons not to – including testimony from some of her fellow Others! When she was “on trial” for killing Danny – somebody (Tom, I think) made a comment to Jack to that effect. (Or it may have been the “sheriff”). Something like “you think she’s going to have any loyalty to you? She’s still one of us.”
I’m not sure that I buy that Juliet is evil. She may be taking advantage of Ben’s con to get as far away from him as possible. Time will tell, I guess.
[QUOTE=Monstre]
Well, Ben’s a master manipulator. And apparently he’s made Juliet his apprentice – she’s definitely learned how to play that game, too.
[/QUOTE]
Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.
Someone on here said “You know how I know Juliet’s lying? Her lips are moving.” I couldn’t have said it better myself. Good episode. The pace is beginning to ramp up as we are getting insight into both sides of the story. We all knew Juliet was up to no good heading back to Lost Camp and it was all one big con, but whose con is it? Ben’s? I’m not so sure …
I like Juliet. She’s hot. But she hasn’t done a single thing to prove that she’s genuinely trustworthy, except perhaps play chef to the hostages. On the other hand, I don’t believe her lies are made with ill intent. Funny that you guys brought up the Star Wars analogy, because I was going to say she’s a bit like Darth Vader to Emperor Palpatine; an unwilling pawn who must cooperate with the master’s plan, but in the end, I think she’ll come through. If anyone does Ben in, it’s probably gonna be her! We finally know where the friction between them stems from.
The way she reframed the situation with Sayid and Sawyer was my favorite scene, condemning their unearned sense of morality. I don’t think they’ll be intimidated by the threat of everyone learning their dark pasts so easily … they may have been the guys with the most blood on their hands, but that’s how they know instinctively that she’s up to something. They’re the only ones who can smell it.