Don’t you dare kill off Sawyer, you OtherBastards.
Twelve weeks before a new ep. ? That’s too damn long. However, I will be back in February. And during the spring, I fully expect to see Desmond and Pen, Alex and Danielle, the Black Rock, Michael and Walt, as well as Mr. Eko in flashback.
Rather than open myself to accusations of trashing, I’d like to ask a question. Does anyone know why April Grace left the show. Back in the final episodes of Season 2, her character (Bea Klugh) seemed to be getting built up as a major character. And now she’s completely gone.
What I’m speculating is that Klugh was originally supposed to be a main character this season as well. But Grace decided to leave the who (or was asked to leave) and the writers had to invent a new character, Juliet, and hire Elizabeth Mitchell to take her place in the story.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think she left the show. I think they just haven’t gotten back around to her yet. I listen to the official podcast and I recall the producers saying, “she’s coming… be patient.”
I figured “lift up your eyes and look north” simply meant “go to the highest point on the island and look north”.
I think that’s because the last time they were at such a high point, they looked east, west, and south, but forgot to look north. Eko was reminding them.
When Jack stopped the surgery and got on the walkie-talkie, IF they had cut to a close-up of Ben’s open back and we saw it slowly close itself up (like the cheerleader in “Heroes”) and he got up from the operating table and said, “Tsk. Tsk. I’m very disappointed in you Jack.” Now there would have been a cliff-hanger!
[QUOTE=Lil’ Mahoney]
I assumed that Jacob was the guy Mr. Eko killed on the beach. Didn’t they find a list in his pocket?
[/QUOTE]
Could it possibly be that Ethan’s last name is Jacobs, not Rom? “He wasn’t on Jacobs’ list.” But The Others do seem to refer to each other by first names, don’t they? Except for Picket… or is it Bicket? And, of course, Mrs. Clue.
My group also questioned whether Benry was only promising Jack to get him off the island he was on now, not The Island.
“How did they get you to ask me?” OK Jack thinks she is making a deal. He’s angry. But Kate explains that they are threatening Sawyer. Why is he still angry at her?
[/QUOTE]
I think it’s because he was trying to be totally uncooperative, and she was being their pawn.
[QUOTE=Frylock]
And the fact that he would stop chasing her if she would stay put? That’s weird, and requires explanation.
-FrL-
[/QUOTE]
I took it to mean that she was continually committing crimes - the bank robbery we saw her in, for instance - and that he had to keep chasing her to stop that. But if she really gave it up, and stopped committing crimes, then he’d stop chasing her. The personal relationship they seem to have might tie into that.
[QUOTE=bouv]
Of course, what with the deliberate botching of the surgery, that’s probably a moot point (and I am wondering how Juliet will react to this once it’s all over. Will she keep her word? Or will she back out since Jack changed what her plan was? Or was she lying the whole time?)
[/QUOTE]
She has no obligation to protect him now. She was going to protect him from the apparent unintentional failure of a complicated surgery… not what he did.
Do we actually know Ethan was his real name? He was the one who was sent to make the list of the losties - so I figured his real name was Jacob. When Ben was issuing the orders, did he say “Ethan, you go…”?
[QUOTE=SenorBeef]
Do we actually know Ethan was his real name? He was the one who was sent to make the list of the losties - so I figured his real name was Jacob. When Ben was issuing the orders, did he say “Ethan, you go…”?
[/QUOTE]
Benry did refer to Ethan by name in Episode 1 of this season.
[QUOTE=Ethilrist]
I don’t think they have the ability to leave the island, or at least, they didn’t before they got Desmond’s boat. Their motorboat can’t make it, and I’m comfortable assuming they’re getting food drops just like the main island. That would explain why Ben really wanted the sailboat.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t understand why everyone keeps leaping to the conclusion that the Others don’t have a boat. We have no reason to assume they Others don’t have a boat.
Ben was very keen on getting Desmond’s sailboat, but all this tells us is that he wanted to deny the 815ers the use of a boat, not that the Others don’t themselves have one.
Speaking of that, the Others boarded the sailboat from seaward, and they were dry. They didn’t swim to the sailboat! They must have been in their own boat.
The island they’ve imprisoned Jack, Kate, and Sawyer on has no bridge to the main island. Maybe there’s an undersea tunnel, but a more credible explanation is that the Others have a ferry of some sort.
[QUOTE=John Mace]
My group also questioned whether Benry was only promising Jack to get him off the island he was on now, not The Island.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t remember the exact words, but the impression I got from that discussion was that Ben was promising to get Jack back to the land of cheeseburgers and television.
Which, ironically, is where he is right now…
There also exists the possibility that Ben was lying to him.
[QUOTE=Fiver]
I don’t understand why everyone keeps leaping to the conclusion that the Others don’t have a boat. We have no reason to assume they Others don’t have a boat.
Ben was very keen on getting Desmond’s sailboat, but all this tells us is that he wanted to deny the 815ers the use of a boat, not that the Others don’t themselves have one.
Speaking of that, the Others boarded the sailboat from seaward, and they were dry. They didn’t swim to the sailboat! They must have been in their own boat.
The island they’ve imprisoned Jack, Kate, and Sawyer on has no bridge to the main island. Maybe there’s an undersea tunnel, but a more credible explanation is that the Others have a ferry of some sort.
[/QUOTE]
The pirates went out in a sub to steal Desmond’s boat. In the next episode, Pickett got a message on his walkie-talkie that included the phrase, “the sub is back…” So, they have a sub, which works. Probably a minimal shark- and dolphin-observing sub, but workable. Maybe like something out of The Abyss.
[QUOTE=ZipperJJ]
I am really really pissed that the crux of this show is now a love triangle. These people have known eachother for 70 days. SEVENTY DAYS. And now they are killing for eachother’s attention, doing dramatic things out of jealousy, professing their LOVE for eachother?
[QUOTE=John Mace]
Could it possibly be that Ethan’s last name is Jacobs, not Rom? “He wasn’t on Jacobs’ list.” But The Others do seem to refer to each other by first names, don’t they? Except for Picket… or is it Bicket? And, of course, Mrs. Clue.
[/QUOTE]
The Others have called Pickett “Danny”, though.
That reminds me: all the male Others we’ve met so far have biblical first names, don’t they? Benjamin, Thomas, Daniel, Ethan… are there any more? Goodwin we only knew as Goodwin, but that’s likely to have been his last name. Of course, I could be reading too much into things. None of the female Others have biblical names, AFAIK.
[QUOTE=anamnesis]
which leads me to a brief tangent: why do the people who complain about what they perceive to be a decline in the quality of the show continue to threaten an intent to stop watching, only to turn up a week later to say it again? I find that phenomenon to be a bigger mystery than the show itself. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Because it’s not enough for them to quit – they feel the need to take some of us with them. Or maybe they are secret Dharma operatives…!
I don’t know. Those little meaningful looks over the surgical mask when Jack started operating – the looks Juliet was giving him – seemed to say, “So, big boy… you gonna kill him and make it look like an accident like we ‘discussed’ or what?”
Yes, it’s pretty much impossible at this point that Julia’s proposal was a mind game. I mean - for all they know, Jack was going to do it. I realllly doubt ben consented to that.
[QUOTE=jackdavinci]
“I’ll stop chasing you.” Really? And how would he find out that she left?
[/quote]
I don’t think he was telling the truth – he was going to keep hunting her no matter what.
No – I think she’s just realizing how close she’s coming to settling down, and she’s still worried that her past troubles (and the fact that she’s still wanted by authorities) just don’t fit into that situation. If she had a kid, how would she raise a child and have a family with the authorities still possibly seeking her? I think it just started to sink in.
My best guess is that it’s because Sawyer was the one who fought back out at the “hauling rocks” work site – Sawyer attacked his captors, including Pickett (and I think crunched his nose pretty good). So Sawyer becomes the target of Pickett’s aggression towards the Losties in general.
[QUOTE=rockle]
Because I don’t know how to make my closed-captioning work without muting the TV … did Kate actually say “I can’t leave without you, Jack” or just “I can’t leave without you” with a hanging elipsis at the end, meaning she could have been talking about either of them? That’s pretty much my “big question” for the night.
[/QUOTE]
I’m pretty sure she said his name – plus she was talking directly to him over the radio.
[QUOTE=Lil’ Mahoney]
I assumed that Jacob was the guy Mr. Eko killed on the beach. Didn’t they find a list in his pocket?
[/QUOTE]
The list was on the body of the chick that Ana Lucia killed with a rock, on the night that the Tailie kids were taken. Eko killed a couple of people on the first night, presumably they were there to take out the “strongest” of the Tailies, the potential threats (according to Goodwin’s conversation with Ana Lucia later on).
Maybe Jack decided to just gut him like a fish, all the way up the back, just to be sure.
Or Jacob might be Eyepatch Guy, aka “Him”. He had a more "stern head honcho"ish look about him.
[QUOTE=Monstre]
The list was on the body of the chick that Ana Lucia killed with a rock, on the night that the Tailie kids were taken. Eko killed a couple of people on the first night, presumably they were there to take out the “strongest” of the Tailies, the potential threats (according to Goodwin’s conversation with Ana Lucia later on).
[/QUOTE]
Hmm. Jacob Goodwin or Ethan Jacobs. I’m going with one of those two. I don’t think EPG = Jacob.