Lost 4.12: "There's No Place Like Home"

RPC - I think your theory re Nadia is a good one. The only other reason I can think she was killed is by mistake; someone aiming for Sayid, but got her instead. So, since Sayid & Nadia are tragically separated, “Lost” better reunite Desmond & Penny before series’ end, I tells ya!

although your question “why not just kill them…” is a good one. I don’t think we have enough info yet for a good fanwank for that one.

Only on Lost would this sentence make sense.

That’s what I was wondering. Either Daddy’s company is doing so piss-poorly that its market value is almost nil, or Oceanic Airlines has done so well that they can hand out multi-billion dollar settlements w/o angering the shareholders or damaging the future of the company.

Though to show how messed up I am, this is the only thing so far in this show that made me say “What? No way - that’s impossible!” :wink:

Or Oceanic isn’t publicly traded and its owners are involved with one or more of he players in the Big Game.

Well, I figured that:

a) She had some shares of the company already as a family member and the natural inheritor.

b) She had some money of her own for the same reasons as above

and

c) She got a big settlement from Oceanic.

Put that all together and she’s got a shot at buying a controlling share. If she can convince other prominent shareholders to help her in a buyout, she’s got it made.

I’m not a big business guru or anything, but a “controlling interest” in a business isn’t necessarily 51% is it? Isn’t it just that they own more than anyone else owns, so if there’s 10 owners Sun would only need to own like 11%?

I’m probably wrong, but that was my understanding…

Answer

I thought this was a fantastic episode. I cannot see this one being described as slow. Everyone running through the jungle after some one! My heart was racing at the end.

A few random thoughts:

• I think Jack was so stunned by Claire’s mom that he didn’t even think about her grandson being in the room with them until the mom was leaving. I think Fox did a pretty decent job of showing subtle realization when she commented on Aaron.

• I loved Sayid’s reunion. Of course, it was tragic knowing what will happen, but I thought it was actually very realistic. I hate big reunions that happen amidst tragedy or non-romantic circumstances where the two lovers start kissing passionately. I think that scene was perfectly executed. Sayid is stunned. Then he hugs her. Then, still taking in the moment, he puts his cheek to hers and hugs her closer. Perfect.

• The Korean hostile takeover was poor. Very cheesy. I could hear Karen Allen screaming “You’re gonna get more than you bargained for. I’m your goddamn partner!” Maybe Korean laws are different than US security laws, but I think if one person or group is going to buy more than a certain percentage of the stock, they have to file notice. Either way, if his company was in play, you think someone would have told daddy. People in markets tend to notice unusual trading volume. The laws of supply and demand tend to make large buys do odd things to the stock price. If your stock price jumps up considerably, your finance guy might need to figure it out. Of course, Sun’s dad might employ “Knuckles” as his finance guy. Who knows? It just struck me as weak.

• Speaking of Karen Allen, I wonder if ABC is using next week for Grey’s two hour finale because Indy4 is opening on Thursday? I know I will not be home.

• I like Frank the helicopter pilot. He’s just a fun character. But, I miss the Captain already. He was the only uncomplicated, straight shooter we’ve seen.

• I hope the presence of Richard and a large group of others will mean we will soon learn the difference between the clean others and the filthy, ratty clothed others.

• There was some serious “redshirt” mentality going on last night. Jack asked if the boat soldiers were out to kill them. And Sawyer answered that they tried. The word “tried” struck me as funny. Didn’t they kill like two or three redshirts right in front of Sawyer? They didn’t TRY to kill you. THEY KILLED TWO OR THREE OF YOUR FUCKING PEOPLE! The difference, I guess, is those were uncredited extras and have never been a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live. :smiley:

I purposely said “still”. You never know with this show. :slight_smile:

I think her father knew of the takeover. He was talking with his men before she came in, and he was worried. One of them said something like “They used five banks” - maybe it was done on the sly.

And maybe Hurley chipped in with some cash too.

Anyway, good episode. The writers are finally feeding us lots of good stuff. To me, the time travel ideas are very intriguing, and I think it is the time travel which gives Ben - and especially Richard - their power.

Good observation, Chuck. I assumed the money came from Widmore - either it was channeled through Oceanic, or Sun is misrepresenting the truth to her father. (According to the subtitles, she only implies that she bought the controlling share using the Oceanic settlement.)

I am assuming that Sun used her money from Oceanic and probably some from Ben as well. I’m guessing she is working with Ben, not Widmore. I also guessed that Hurley may have pitched in some money too. (We know he is close to Sun since he came to visit her after her baby was born.)

I also think that Jin really is dead in the future and she isn’t just claiming that as part of the coverup. Her speech to her father about how he was one of the two men responsible for Jin’s death sounded too sincere.

Speaking of which, who is the second man responsible? I would say that it would have to be either Ben or Widmore and I suspect Widmore is the other responsible party.

I noticed the same thing. He could have at least said, “They got Bob and Shirley but the rest of us got away.” You would think that after all this time they would have at least a nodding acquaintance with the other survivors.

I have a feeling the writers didn’t want us to think too deeply about Sun’s takeover. But if I had to guess I would say that she used her share of the Oceanic settlement, her inside knowledge of the company and probably formed an alliance with some of Daddy’s rivals. As a guess I will say that it is just a throw away plot point to show Daddy got his and we won’t hear much more about it.

Is it possible that we are over-estimating the value of Paik Industries? Have they explained what Sun’s fathers company does? He’s obviously very rich and the head of a company, but there seems to be a common opinion that it’s a massive conglomeration. Perhaps it’s a big, but not huge, company. Suppose it’s worth $20 million. Sun could very possibly gotten a $10 million settlement and bought up controlling stake and it wouldn’t be unrealistic at all. Maybe the company is worth $50 million, still sorta plausible.

Given the heavy foreshadowing of doom on the freighter, I think the other man she blames will be Michael.

Did she say “man” or “person”? I took that part to mean that she blamed herself for his death because she was the one who suggested running away to America equally with her father.

So the dad knew it. I didn’t catch that. I guess that was the writers’ efforts to at least add some plausibility.

She said to her father, “Two people are responsible for his death. You are one of them.” So no determination as to male or female, but i still believe that it’s Michael. She’s spits the words out with anger; no evidence of self-loathing in her demeanor to my eye.

Yeah…there have been quite a few red shirts taken aboard the freighter now. That can only spell doom. I think somehow Sun will take off with Aaron, and then the freighter will blow up. She will assume Jin is dead, but he must survive that, since we have seen him in a flash-forward. Just a guess, but it seems pretty likely.

What flash forward? The last one with Jin and Sun was a double fake. Sun’s story was a flash forward and Jin’s was a flashback.