Memphis Dopefest?

waves back Hi adhemar! You know, I’ve said to myself on more than one occasion that I probably know you in real life. See you at BarBearian Brawl!

Neither have we, so you’ll be as savvy as the both of us. I suspect we are quite accomplished at making merry, though, so I’m not too worried about fitting in. :smiley:

I am allergic to cats. Sorry, everyone.

I prefer air conditioning, if possible!

As a semi-aside, how bad of an allergy? I do have a cat at home (who thinks that clothing is meant for her to sit on), and if you’re really sensitive, I can make extra sure to de-fuzz myself.

If you have cats at home, but not with you, I should be fine. I just won’t get to rub myself all over you. :wink:

Seriously, the allergy only gets bad if I’m in very close quarters with a cat.

Feel free to take charge. I would, but operational commitments right now are running me into the ground. So I nominate Jackelope. Do I hear a second?

Seconded!

Oh yeah, and I too am allergic to putty tats.

Thirded!

Now to figure out where to go, what to do… I think the only thing that will be a given is that there must be air conditioning.

OK, I’m in charge! You guys all shut the hell up!

Heh. I was channeling my big sister there for a moment.

OK, we need to decide on a place and a time. Please consider the following and post your thoughts, and then [del]I’ll ignore them and choose whatever I want[/del] we’ll come to a democratic consensus.

Here are the venues suggested so far, and some thoughts on them:

**Young Avenue Deli: **Good, cheap food and a wide beer selection w/full bar, plus you can pull tables together for groups. Downside: Gets very loud when full of hipsters, plus they’ve got bands scheduled for 10 p.m. most weekend nights; don’t know how late we’d be there.

**Cafe Ole: **Good food, no bands. Downside: Not really a great setup for groups, unless you want to sit out on the patio, which I emphatically do not.

**Quetzal: **Excellent food and coffee. WiFi. Comfortable atmosphere, including couches and stuff. Downside: Limited and expensive alcoholic refreshments, plus the location (near Sun Studio) may not be terribly convenient for some.

**Blue Coast Burrito: **Never been there, but I’ve heard the food’s good. Anyone know what their seating is like? Will it work for groups? I get a more cafeteria-style vibe from it, but I’ve never really looked in. What about booze?

**R.P. Tracks: **Decent bar-food, full bar. Tables can be moved around, and the patio is usually air-conditioned.

**Barbecue: **We’d need a whole separate thread just to decide which one to go to. My favorite is the Bar-B-Q Shop on Madison in Midtown. Downside: Personally, I think it’s too hot to eat barbecue.

TIME

The weekend of July 28 and 29 seems to be working for everyone. The times that will work best for me are Friday evening (say 7:00ish) and Saturday afternoon (say noon or 1:00ish).

So, please chime in with votes on location and time, as well as anything that specifically won’t work for you, and [del]I’ll start laying down the law around here[/del] we’ll organize a fun and stimulating time.

Oh yeah, I meant to add: If anyone has a place in mind that’s not on that list, feel free to suggest it.

Hola! I’ll try my best to make it, but I’m in the midst of editing a movie right now.

The Deli would be ideal, but they’ve got bands at 10 PM on the two nights in question, so conversation will be impossible when the bands fire up. Dish across the street in the Coop might be better, but I know it’s more expensive and they’ve got DJs on Saturday night (maybe Friday night too–not sure). In the U of M area, there’s the venerable RP Tracks and Mo’s, a coffee shop run by a friend of mine. And we could always go Downtown. There’s lots of places.

Cheap is good. Loud is ungood. I’m torn.

Sitting on the patio in July Memphis heat is doubleplus ungood.

Limited alcohol is not what I signed on for… :stuck_out_tongue:

Never been there, either.

Sounds decent!

Agreed!

Either time works for us right now.

I’m not opposed to downtown, either.

It pains my very soul to say it, but alcohol is largely irrelevant to me for this event. If I’m able to attend, I’ll be driving in from out of town, and more importantly, driving back afterwards. I might enjoy a beer, possibly two early in the festivities if we’re looking at a several hour gig, but after that I’d need to switch to cola or sweet tea.

I have no moral objections to going to a Cathouse…but one with actual kittens wasn’t 'zactly high on my list of things to see. Quiet is better than noisy. Non-mexican menu is infinitely easier on my innards than Mexican food.

Then again, my chance of attending is no better than 50/50 right now, so discount my input accordingly.

Haven’t been there… does any one know who is slated to play there that weekend?

If we have to sit outside to stay as a group, I’d say that knocks it right out in this weather.

Another place I haven’t been: how’s the parking situation for it?

Think Subway sandwich shop meets Tex-Mex. Will work well for groups: there’s even a TV in the corner that’s normally tuned to a news station if we need something to spur conversation. Parking situation is normally good. Beer is available, but I’m not sure of prices.

One of the places I keep saying I should go to one of these days, but yet somehow never manage it.

Bar-B-Q Shop works, although a setup that may work better is the Whole Hog Cafe (on Quince @ I-240). Lots of room, plenty of chairs, AC works, and it’s an ‘order at the counter and pick up your order when they call your number’ situation. Soda machines so you can get your own drinks, and the tea wasn’t bad. It’s a new place, so I dunno who else has had a chance to try it. (Random notes: good coleslaw, they have pork loin, seven different sauces including the only mustard-based one I’ve found so far that I like.)

For me, a Saturday lunch would be good: with the way my schedule is shaping up to be, I may end up napping in the corner for a Friday evening one. :slight_smile:

I am against downtown because of parking issues.

Young avenue deli is fine, so is RP tracks. RP tracks has really good food, Blue Coast Burrito might have beer, don’t remember since I don’t drink beer but no other alcohol for sure. Havn’t been to Young ave in many many years. Never been to MO’s either. I,m not limited on transportation so it doesn’t matter to meas to Midtown or east Memphis.

Memphis pizza cafe in Midtown might be good, they have two rooms, a full bar (I think) good pizza as well as alternative pizza, calzones, sandwiches and salads.

RP tracks has designer quesidillas, a fabulous pita sandwich, hamburgers and other sandwiches, a full bar, a porch that is usually air conditioned with tables that can be pulled together. Lousy tea the last couple of times I went in.

Blue Coast Burrito, tasty made to order burritos with fabulous salsa and chips. Don’t recall any alcohol but may have beer. Lots of individual tables that could probably be pulled together.

A stange thought, the food court at Oak court mall, lots of choices for palces to eat, no one will be irritated if we hang out there all day, oh wait no alcohol.

No place is perfect. oh well.

OK, here’s a suggestion:

R. P. Tracks (map)
7:00 p.m.
Friday, July 28

Does this work for y’all? Tracks has sufficient parking, decent food, and a full bar, and I doubt it’ll be terribly crowded at that hour. This is only a suggestion, though; if anyone has a schedule conflict/strong preference, we can certainly change. (And my e-mail is in my profile, if anyone wants to contact me privately for some reason.)

Put me down as a tentative yes: I’ll know more by Monday evening if Friday evening will work.

(I will be heading out of town for the latter half of the week: what piles up during that time will determine how things will go for the latter half of next week.)

Gee, I was hoping I could join you guys, but if it’s a Friday, then no can do as I have to work Fridays (and possibly Saturdays).

Sounds great to me. I may need to bum a ride home from somebody. I live close enough to walk over there, but it’ll be dark by the time we’re finished eating. Can anyone help me out?
-Lil

Depending on timing and assuming I can make it, I should be able to: IIRC from the ‘Hurricane Elvis’ thread, you aren’t all that far from where I am. I can probably also give you a lift there as well.

If Nightsong is unavailable, I can give you a ride, percypercy. I live in the neighborhood too, right near the Pink Palace.

So is everyone else able to make it on Friday the 28th? Is this a problem for anyone who wants to go?

(Sorry you can’t do Friday or Saturday, Tuckerfan; I’m getting the vibe that those are the only days that will work for the majority of us.)