Mike Tyson to fight YouTuber Jake Paul this July. Yeah, you read that correctly

Tyson will turn 58 years old in June.

It will be neither a good fight nor a long one, I suspect.

Jake Paul is a known crypto scammer so I hope Tyson still has a bit of that Kid Dynamite in him, I wouldn’t mind seeing him get KO’d.

If Tyson doesn’t score a first round knockout he will be in trouble.

Who the hell’s Jake Paul? And why would anyone care. . . OK. I’ll probably watch.

And more recently:

Paul will build up all sorts of hype over this, and then discover the day before that, oops, that was the day he scheduled for washing his hair. And he wrote it in on his calendar in pen, so oops, sorry, he’ll have to cancel.

Looking at Jake’s boxing record, it looks like he has beaten some recognizable MMA names in boxing matches (Anderson Silva, Nate Diaz). So it will not be a walk in the park for Mike, especially if as mentioned upthread, he doesn’t score a quick KO

This. And he won’t unless Paul is even stupider than he seems to be.

Watch his recent exhibition with Roy Jones

Two shitbags hit each other? Okay.
Any other shitbags want to get in on this?

There’s a Dutch speed skater whom I follow on Instagram, Jutta Leerdam; she’s one of the best in the world at sprint distances (500m, 1000m). Last year, she started dating Jake Paul. Ugh.

Can Mike Tyson still box? I mean…can he still put up a real fight?

The Pauls are absolutely garbage people, but I have to admit they’re dang good as boxers, and Jake’s brother Logan has proven to be a remarkably exceptional pro wrestler as well.

I seriously doubt I’m gonna pay to watch this fight, but it’ll probably be entertaining.

I think it’s just on vanilla Netflix, if I’m reading that right. It’s not an extra PPV, as far as I can tell, I could be wrong. They’ve had live events before, apparently. I didn’t watch any of them, myself.

I hate following these joke fights because they’re such total crapshoots and I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, FRICKING ALWAYS end up backing the wrong horse. (Goddam William Perry vs. Manute Bol…)

I dimly recall a geriatric Larry Holmes having little trouble taking out Eric “Butterbean” Esch (which I found a tad disappointing, actually). Tyson may be one of the finest physical specimens to grace the ring, but he didn’t look that hot in his swan song against Kevin McBride. I’m thinking he’s going to go on the offensive quickly and try to put this to bed early, as it’s his only realistic shot.

And that’s all I got. Wake me if someone ends up in the ICU or whatever.

I don’t think they have ever charged for an event, though. It’s just like a regular tv show.

I don’t get if Mike Tyson is still able to compete, though. His age has to have taken down quite a few notches. And lack of active experience.

Unless he’s still training every day, he had better end the match early. He’ll be out of gas in a round or two. 58 is crazy old to be boxing.

Ther have been a couple of boxers who still fought professionally in their 50’s, but not particularly successfully. I think Larry Holmes was 51 or 52 when he fought his last fight. George Foreman was still in his 40’s when he finally retired, and he was considered an old man in boxing.

Even when he was training and in his prime he was usually winded by the end of the 3rd. A guy who could punch like Tyson could still knock out Paul easily, so long as Paul stands still in front of him for a while with his hands down and chin up.

Full disclosure: I don’t know the difference between the two brothers. I mix up who their opponents have been. My opinion of both of them are the same.

He’s boxed washed up MMA guys who were not known as stand up boxers. He would be dead now if they were fighting under UFC rules and not boxing. Both brothers have made a ton of money boxing non-boxers, washed up fighters and part time boxers. They do seem to take their training seriously.

He trains daily even before this announcement. It looks pretty impressive but no one is hitting him. It doesn’t change the fact that he’s a middle aged man.

Both Paul brothers have gone all in on training. They are big, strong and in shape. They do have obvious holes in their technique. Tyson is in great shape for his age but he’s still ancient for boxing. Paul should still be able to out dance him and tire him out. Tyson is short for his weight class. He was usually at a reach disadvantage. If he is unable to close it’s going to be a boring fight. Your jaw also doesn’t get better with age. Older fighters tend to get knocked out easier. Tyson could get clipped and be hurt while he’s trying to close.