must you quote the entire fucking post?!

Nothing pisses me off more than people who feel the need to quote someone’s entire freakin’ post in their responses. If you would like to address a specific statement, quote it, and it alone. You do not have to fucking paste the whole damn thing in your response. If you would like to reply to the post overall, just address the person with your questions/comments/misc concerns.

Allow me to demonstrate. Here is an example of someone having a question about a specific remark:

Random dude(tte): But MeanOldLady, what if I want to address the entire post?
Fabulous, that’s a beautiful question which just so happens to bring me to my next point. Now let us suppose someone thinks I totally freaking rule and is also pissed off by people quoting the whole damn post. Observe:

Random dude(tte): MeanOldLady, I totally freaking agree. There’s nothing more irritating than having to flip though 90 pages of quotes just to get to the person’s response. Grrr.
See how that works? Lovely, yes? If you would please refrain from quoting the whole damn post, I’d be appreciative. Thanks.

I just know some wise guy is going to quote this entire post in his reply.

Good point, and I agree.

Hahahaha! I knew there was going to be a wise guy sooner or later. :stuck_out_tongue:

Makes sense.

I think this happens most often when people hit the Quote button under the post in question. It pulls up the whole post in the reply window.

This is not necessarily a problem if someone wants to address a single statement, as they need only cut the lines that don’t apply, leaving the board-produced coding intact.

But if our hypothetical poster wishes to address many statements in turn, more coding is involved. Lots of people are a little hesitant to undertake anything but the most basic vB code. I’d rather read a thread full of full-post quotes than a thread full of broken code that impedes my reading/understanding of the thread.

I would rather look at a lengthy quotes than to see 25 paragraphs quoted. Grrr!

Umm, I have an extra article hanging around there somewhere. I’d rather look at lengthy quotes, that is. Not a lengthy quotes.

So would I.

I’m looking. Where?

What would you quote? The current stock market quotes?

This Death guy (notice the selective quoting of your name) is apparently a comedian. Very funny. :slight_smile:

Well of course someone will, MeanOldLady.

See there? I’ve stooped lower than usual.

:smiley:

Sometimes you need to do so to reply to things in context, especially on multi-page threads.

What?

[sub]

[/sub]

MeanOldLady, you will soon regret that you ever started this thread! Every SDMB comedian will be coming out of the woodwork to play with it.

Lottery time! When do you think some kindly mod will come along and close the thread for its own protection? :smiley:

Sometimes you need to pick the whole post apart.

Some of the times when I’ve pulled just a particular sentence or point from someone’s post to respond to, I’ve been accused of taking it out of context. I find that I’d rather use the entire statement (or at least use an entire paragraph) so that the poster does not feel as though I’m trying to spin what they said the way I wanted to.

Just my $0.02

Oh, I completely agree.

:smiley: