My Name Is Earl 5/3/07

What was up with the numbers that flashed in the lower right corner of the screen throughout the program?

If you picked up this weeks TV Guide, there was a numbered scratch and sniff insert for the show. Examples would be the Cinnamon Rolls and the Cologne.

Jim

…and that “new car smell”.

Good episode, although the fight between the dickies and the dockers was kind of cliched.

I liked the homage to Sean Astin’s film Rudy.(The scene at the end with the dockers putting up their credit cards so that Earl could make the $5,000 in sales was very similar to a scene at the end of Rudy.)

Well, Smellovision was a huge disappointment. The smells were awful (except for the cinnamon rolls) - both Mr. singular and I almost got whiplash was recoiling from the “new car smell”. Plus there was the humiliation of actually buying a TV Guide, which wasn’t even worthy of bathroom reading. The episode was a little bit “meh”, too. I felt bad for everyone in this episode, except for the obnoxious salesmen.

Also. Charles Dutton was one of the dockers. He played the janitor in Rudy and I recognized part of a speech he gave to Earl as one he gave to Rudy in the film. And of course, Sean Astin was in the episode, although it took me a few seconds to realize that was him. He’s gotten a little chunky.

All in all, I wasn’t a big fan of the episode in comparison to the rest of the season. The smell-o-vision wasn’t that good, either.

I liked it. I didn’t know what the numbers meant either. I take it Joy is going to Mexico so Jamie Pressley can go on maternity leave? And how exactly is Joy running off to Mexico going to help her in court?

I don’t think that she has to be there in court necessarily, unless she is convicted (i.e., her lawyer can show up in court and argue her case without her being present). Don’t quote me on that, though, as I could be completely wrong.

I liked this episode. Sure it was cheesy as hell, and kind of a cliche… but it was sweet and I thought it had a bunch of funny moments. As soon as I saw the crate I knew Joy had bought a RealDoll. Heh. Also loved the daily chat-about-the-snack-machine.

From the Previews, I do not believe she will be in Mexico for long.

I liked the episode, I did not bother to get a TV guide, but from what others are saying, I don’t mind having missed out.

Mehitabel, I had the feeling the fight between the Dickies and Dockers was suppose to be cliched for maximum humor. The episode was built around the silliness of it, down to the Primal scream by Earl.

Jim

The episode definitely ramped up its guest stars for sweeps:

Charles Dutton and Sean Astin being beyond character actors, but the smaller roles were a lot of “I know him from something!” actors. Of course, I can’t remember exactly where, but I know I’ve seen the big galoot docker, the little weird docker, and the store manager in any number of things. Anybody help me out?

Sorry to say, but that is completely wrong. Criminal defendants are required to show up at trial, so that if they are convicted they can be carted off to jail immediately if necessary. Generally speaking criminal defendants are not allowed to leave the state, let alone the country, without the judge’s permission. You may remember before this year’s Super Bowl there was a bit of a to-do about whether one of the Bears’ players would be allowed to leave Illinois to play in the game.

Answering part of my own question: The store manager was played by Chelcie Ross, who I know best from guilty pleasure movie Major League, though he too has a connection to the Rudy parody.

The Lennie and George dockers, I’m still out on, and it’s driving me a little crazy.

IMDB, to my extreme dismay, has been feature-enriched to the point of being useless when it comes to TV series and I can’t find the fellow’s name, but the big galoot docker was in “Lucky,” a series on USA (cable) in 2003 starring John Corbett as an addicted gambler in Las Vegas. I thought I was going to see a create-your-own-if-you-flip-channels “Lucky” reunion, because “Lucky” also featured Craig Robinson, who plays warehouse worker Darryl on “The Office,” which follows “MNIE,” and one of the PBS stations here in Denver broadcasts “Northern Exposure,” with John Corbett, at 7 PM weeknights. Alas, Darryl did not appear on last night’s episode of “The Office.”

The store owner was played by Chelcie Ross, who I best remember as the older pitcher in Major League.

(On preview, what OMD said about Chelcie Ross.)

It’s not going to help her in the sense that a warrant will be put out for her arrest, Little Chubby will lose his million dollar bond, and if she’s caught or returned, her flight may count against her when her trial takes place. But it will help her in that she’ll be hard to find in Mexico.

Say, will this lead to a return of Juliette Lewis as Jesse the bounty hunter tracking Joy down in Mexico for some more Kung Fu fighting? That would be awesome.

Good call. And from there, a quick step to getting a name: Billy Gardell (wiki) (IMDB) (picture). And I also recall where I recognize him from: He had a minor role at the end of the run of The Practice, in which he was muscle in setting up Jimmy Berluti’s new neighborhood law firm (also guesting Vincent Pastore).

So that just leaves the little George docker.

I was thinking that was Sean Astin’s brother, Mackenzie. He was on *The Facts of Life * during the George Clooney years. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

All I know is I want one of those tv/microwave/computers I kept seeing boxes for. Oh and I agree with Darnell, the orange punch is much superior to the green punch.

That may have been the other dickie (front of store) guy, who had the bluetooth earbud in the entire time (I didn’t recognize that guy at all, so really haven’t given him much thought). But I’m talking about the smaller guy in the coveralls, in the back of the store. I seem to remember him as a guy who can say absurd non sequiturs and be generally vaguely creepy, but in a funny way. He looks like the love child of James Woods and Ray Romano.

Good call - it was Fred Stoller, who played Ray’s annoying cousin Gerard on “Everybody loves Raymond”. I can’t find a picture of him anywhere, but that’s him - he was also on “Seinfeld” and was Jim Dial’s nemesis on “Murphy Brown”.

Ah ok. Difference in criminal stuff, then. I know that in a lot of civil stuff you don’t have to be personally present.

And no, I’m vaguely aware of something called the Super Bowl, and if pressed I might have been able to answer that the Bears were a team (though I may or may not have been able to guess the right sport) but I make it a point to ignore all sports-related news as my distaste for sports goes far beyond just not caring and into rather pathetic childhood “family issues” that I really need to get over one of these days. (If I’m watching CNN, I’ll actually mute the tv when the sports guy comes on.)