New category for Ukraine invasion? {Added a new Tag for now}

Sorry if I’m in the wrong spot and this actually belongs in Site Feedback or something.

I’m wondering if it would be useful to create a new category for threads relating to the Ukraine invasion, similar to the Quarantine Zone was for Covid-19.

This is the right spot and I was wondering that myself.

If it last more than a week, I’ll start pushing for it. Right now it is probably working OK. It isn’t quite overwhelming the board yet. I’m basing this on the Latest threads on the Categories Page for the SDMB.

I could create a new tag for now so we have a cross forum way of quickly finding all the threads for the Ukraine Invasion.

I think I’ll start that process. I’ll post the tag link here when I’m done.

The Tag: Topics tagged ukraine-invasion or click the tag above.

ETA: Looks like 21 threads including 3 old ones and this one.

To be clear, this new tag is allowed in any of the forums. It will act as at least a temporary index of “Russian Invasion of Ukraine related threads in any forum. Also related Putin threads.”

Thanks for explaining the process and coming up with a solution. I think we’re all hoping that this doesn’t last long enough for a new category to wind up being necessary after all.

I’m glad you asked the question, it got me thinking for an easy fix.

This whole thing has had me kind of numb with shock.

I don’t have any direct connection to Ukraine, but am very worried about just how much bigger this mess could get. I can relate to “go numb from shock overload”.

I hate that we have to put serious news stories in a forum with the words “mundane” and “pointless” in its title.

I know I’ve said before, but I would really like to see a news forum created for non-political news threads.

I share your feeling. I don’t like reading posts about “i have cancer” or “my child just died” given that name, either, though. Or heck, even, “i just adopted a new cat”.

Thoughts i must share
Reactions
Musings

But i doubt it will change.

I would also support a category for the Ukrainian invasion. Being a pessimist, i just hope we don’t name it WWIII.

“MPSIMS” is sooooo AOL. That’s America OnLine for those who’ve forgotten. It might have been a humorous name once upon a time, but that time is decades gone.

It’s time for a change.

Currently 30 Topics tagged ukraine-invasion.

I agree on changing the name of MPSIMS, but this has come up the entire time I’ve been here and it is always rejected. So I doubt it will ever happen. I guess the other option of splitting it into 2 forums with one being News, Deaths, Woes and Illnesses is also unlikely.

I like Reactions, simple and to the point.

It was one of the first forums, and is part of the character of the board, same as the BBQ Pit. It also doesn’t seem to be causing confusion, unlike General Questions.

There was a certain character to the naming of the forums originally, and it would kinda suck to see that be replaced with pure utilitarianism. That was my main gripe with the change to Factual Questions, too, but at least I could argue it fits the character of that forum.

Since most of us just think of it as MPSIMS and not “mundane and pointless…,” and the problem some people have with MPSIMS is just those two words, I might suggest that any proposal for change involve trying to keep the acronym intact. (And, yes, I called it an acronym, as it has a pronunciation, in my head, at least: em-pee-SIMZ or em-pih-SIMS)

It might simply need a small modification and remain “MPSIMS” by calling it this:

MUST POST SOMETHING I MUST SHARE

Everybody knows it’s pronounced MPS-isms.

Unfortunately, I think it will go way past a week.

Same here. Watching the whole thing play out in real time just made it seem worse as war edged closer and closer.

Me too. Change comes slowly here and it seems like most people don’t care what the forum name is one way or another. It gets mentioned often, but never really picks up any steam.

Problem being is that is such a catch-all category it could be labeled Things That Don’t Fit In Other Forums. How many sub-forums would you need to cover getting a new pet, losing your spouse, having a baby, a terrorist attack, your basement flooding and Canada cutting off the supply of maple syrup? I guess we could split it into First, The Good News… followed by …And Now The Bad News. That would help a bit. :grinning:

I think “reactions” roughly covers it. It’s stuff that I am thinking about, feeling about, and want to share my reactions with other people and see how they have reacted or might react. The other forums have topics, or in the case of IHMO, are about opinions, not feelings. (I have no strong feelings about computer printers, but I have opinions as to which might work for you.)

I like "Must Post Something I’m Must Share, except for using “must” twice.

I like having this new tag rather than a dedicated subforum, as long as the mods keep up with the thread-tagging. I’ve bookmarked the tag and that’s working well for me.

I think it could just be a temporary forum called, simply, “The Ukraine War.” And after a few months, it could be closed down and all the threads folded into Great Debates or MPSIMS.

It looks like the Ukrainian situation is going to be with us for a long time, and that there will be many threads on the topic. Perhaps grouping them in one central location like we have for COVID-19 would be beneficial? I find myself scrolling up and down looking for Ukraine related threads.

Please use the tags for now. They work amazingly well and gives you all the 60+ threads as quickly as a new forum or category would.

You can even bookmark it.
Here is the link: Topics tagged ukraine-invasion
-or- click any of the tags on any of the threads for the same effect
-or- go to the menu and click tag and find ukraine-invasion and click it.

If you want to know more about tags, see this thread:

Most are just for The Café and The Game Room but the Ukraine tag is for any forum. We also have a factual tag for QZ to request a thread be treated like it is in FQ.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I just pinned this thread until 1am Monday morning Eastern Time.