Nothing to write home about - a very early MMP

Which tower book are your reading?

Finally, a reason to post in mmp! My area’s completely flooded and while technically I could make it through the street to go to work, I work next to White Oak Bayou (for you houston folks) and its flooding like crazy. So rather than brave the water here only to face higher water at work, Im taking an impromptu day off. I have so much here to do that it won’t be much of a vacation, but at least I have time to finish off all this stuff.

Now as long as that low doesn’t decide to head straight for me, I should be good!

Are zombies and grapenut iguanas like colds that can spread through the MMP? I’ve had an MMP-spread cold, and I really would prefer to avoid the zombies so if they’re going to be roaming through here, I think I’ll have to go hide somewhere.

Good weekend. **KeithT ** came up on Saturday evening. Not much got done that night. Yesterday we drove around Mpls a bit and found an art festival that was going on. Then we got all domestic and went and bought a new bed and mattress. We decided on the Simmons Beautyrest because there was noticeably less transmission of motion with that. We could each move around on the bed without the other person noticing the movement much. That is really nice. So that should be delivered in a couple weeks (something or other is on backorder).

The new bed is a pine log kinda thing with round posts that looks very woodsy/North Country. The frame is very sturdy and the posts will be good for tying each other up… I mean, supporting the bed. :smiley:

Now I’m at work and bored again. What happened to the busy, exciting part of my new job? It’s starting to feel like my boring old job. :frowning: Except with much better pay. :slight_smile:

I’m willing to bet I’ll never see or hear a line like that again. :smiley: I sincerely hope that you are using this line everytime somebody asks you how your weekend went.

EC I actually asked for an early appointment. I’ve even got one at 8:00 A.M. whenever in August it is, for a cleaning. I do not like the dentist, so if I can get it over with early that’s good for me.

I have been asked every conceivably weird question related to work that anybody could possibly come up with and it’s only 10:30 A.M. AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Would anyone like a whole lot of copies of old, dusty Piers Anthony books? Someone dumped a boxful in front of work on Saturday. I don’t know why, either.I scored a copy of A Wizard of Earthsea with the non-miniseries cover, and some Stephen R. Donaldson, but most of it was crap.
Good morning! I hope you’re feeling better, rosie. Sinuses are stupid and bad. I want a blood and iguana and toddler and grapenut story.
My boss just called to ask if I could come in at noon instead of two. He woke me up, so what he got was, “Urgh, Mphm. Yeah, sure.” No laundry today. I wonder if I have any clean clothes? I may not.

Tomorrow will be multiple trips to the laundromat day. Yay. It’s only about twelve minutes away, but if you have to run back and forth six time it gets to be annoying.

Good morning all!

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

rosie, I hope your sinus headache goes away. I’ve only ever had a few of those, and they were excrutiating.

I injured myself yesterday while making the lasagne. Who new making lasagne was a blood sport? I was busily chopping onions when I chopped right through my thumb into the fingernail. No, it did not feel good! That son of a gun would not quit bleeding. It was still bleeding last night.

It’s stopped now, but sheesh, now I have gunky band-aid stuff all over my thumb.

I better do some work now.

**Taters ** - get thee to an ER and get a tetnus shot!!! Don’t fool aruond with a cut that deep!!!
(only a Doper would get hazard pay on kitchen duty)

Ha! My thumb is bandaged and still bleeding a little as well. The culprit was the blade on the food processor, which didn’t want to remove when I was done shredding cabbage for the (utterly awesome) slaw I made yesterday. Awesome, I tell you. Speaking of that, did anybody make the pasta salad yet? I yearn for feedback.

A few years ago, I was slicing up an onion, and sliced a flap of skin almost completely off. I thought it best to lay the flap of skin back over the “cut”, instead of just pulling it off and throwing it away, so I administered a field dressing (paper towel and duct tape), and when I was done preparing the sauce I headed out to the Drug Store for proper bandages. In the mean time, I had bled profusely and had to re-apply my field dressing twice. Nevertheless.

Right next to the Band-Aids™ I saw liquid bandages. “Interesting”, thought I, and bought some of that, too. I get back home, stir the sauce, and set about closing my wound. I get the field dressing off - it’s saturated with blood, and I’m still bleeding freely. I open the liquid bandages, and start painting it on. It smells nice - like varnish or something, and I figure out pretty quickly that one coat isn’t going to do the trick, so I blow on it to get it to dry and apply another coat. But now I’m sensing I’m in trouble because blood is oozing out all along the edge of this pea-sized, C-shaped flap of skin. I quickly pain on another coat of liquid bandages, then another, and so on. After perhaps ten minutes of painting on coat upon coat of liquid bandage, I realize I have made a dreadful mistake. My thumb looks a fright.

I’d essentially coated a freely-bleeding open wound with a thin layer of superglue. The blood was oozing out, getting trapped within the liquid bandage, and congealing there. And it only got worse once the whole thing started to scab over. It was a mess for about a week, but started to look normal again after that. I ended up having to wear a regular Band Aid™ over it anyhow because of the ghastly way it looked. I’ve got a small but well-defined scar from it, too.

And Smitty takes an early lead for most disgusting post of the week. :smiley:

We Episcopalians are a rascally bunch. You will recall that we royally poed the Anglican Communion three years ago by confirming the election of an openly gay Bishop. This year at General Convention (held in Columbus, OH, home of the lovely and talented gt) we done gone and elected us a woman Presiding Bishop. :eek: I just can’t wait to read about and hear the kinds of fits some people in the Worldwide Anglican Communion are gonna have. Should be fun. Well, for me anyways. In case y’all haven’t figured it out, I don’t think especially well of the Worldwide Anglican Communion as a whole.

Hey, I thought of you when I saw that on the news. I was gonna ask what you thought, but I guessed that if it was going to raise some hell you’d probably be all for it.

Ooh, kitchen accidents involving knives! I’ll share one, too. When I was about 7, I was using a (dull) paring knife to slice my mother’s homemade whole wheat bread. The knife slipped and sliced a rather large piece of my thumb off. I’ve got a good sized scar on that thumb from that incident. And a lesson from my dad on using the right tool for the job.

This weekend I found out what happens when I sit on one leg for too long - I get up and whoops! My right leg slid out from under me like it was on ice. It was pretty scary to be suddenly doing the splits. I am not that flexible! I’m thinking “I’m going to break my leg, I’m going to break my leg!” while at the same time, “At least I’m next to the phone, so I can call 911 *after * I break my leg.” I didn’t break my leg, but my right hip is pretty sore and I have an impressive number of scrapes and bruises from flailing around trying not to fall and then falling. I even managed to smack myself in the face under my eye. I felt brilliant after that little stunt, let me tell ya.

So, here I sit in my office, the place kind of tomb-like, but I hear a few drivers out in their room. Completely without thinking, I emit a belch for the ages.

Long, loud, all brappy and exclamatory. A belch which says MBG has just taken a large slug of Diet Coke on an empty stomach.

Sudden silence from the driver’s room, followed by a “holy shit” faintly uttered.

“Uh…'scuse me out there!”

After working all weekend, I got a special treat, I get to work today too!! :mad: [sup]10[/sup]. This morning, I’ve done my laundry, cleaned the bathroom and kitchen, and cleaned some windows. If I ever get a day off, I will be able to veg guilt free.
taxi, just hope you don’t get zombie Grapenuts: “BRAN!!!”
Winston, :eek: I did that when I was 13, regular Band-aids work much better(and no scar).
rosie hope you feel better.
Ellen, I feel your pain. 4 beers used to be “stretching before the marathon”, not my upper limit.

:stabs self to fit in with Cool kids:

Mother’s may not. Father’s definitely do. I once tracked my father through a Toys 'R Us by one of his. I was trailing along several aisles behind the rest of the family (oh, for the more innocent times when having a child out of sight was not a cause for immediate panic!) and was trying to find them; meantime, my nose was in revolt from the smell that had preceded me up and down every. single. aisle. and I was loudly complaining about same.

I was told that Dad had been busily waving a hand behind him in an effort to dissipate the smell and shut me up. Didn’t work, though.

The horror that is VII.
 I can't believe he made himself a central character in his own book.  There was that one chapter in book VI, and that was bad enough.  Hell, not only do you have to put up with that, but the reader (in this case, me) has to remember the plot points from books that are 30 years old!  
 The only thing keeping me from just stopping where I am at is that I've been reading them all up to this pint, and hate not knowing the ending.  Although I just know I'm gonna be pissed about it.  Especially since (where I put the book down last night) the ka-tet is now only 3/5 of what it was at the beginning of the book.  Double Grrrrrr.

It’s already started. Not the zombification of the world, but the spread of puns. When we’re unable to communicate except through those damned “jokes”, don’t say I didn’t warn ya.

swampy Sure she’s a woman, but at least she’s not gay. That’s something that the home office can find comfort in, right?

Puggy I went and got clear magazine holders during lunch. Truly wonderful idea - works great, and I think it will last a long time.

Hey look, two new posters to the MMP! Welcome folks! (And you never need a reason to post. The durned thing is usually hijacked after the OP anyway. Heck, sometimes even the OP with hijack themselves in mid-post. Truly a wonderful thing to behold.)

Sorry about the headache, rosie. I’ve suffered through a few of those myself. Never fun. I recommend a combo of antihistamines and decongestant; attacking it from both angles seems to help more than just one or the other.

If I spread grape nuts on my floor, can I get the iguana to vacuum the house for me?

I figured out something this morning – my time spent goofing around on line is in direct proportion to the my workload. In other words, when I’m buried with work, what do I want to do? Hang out online the whole time instead. When I’ve got a light day or three, like right now? Somehow even you lovely people fail to hold my attention, at least to the same degree. Clearly a work-avoidance issue. Is there any cure for that – or do I want one? :smiley:

Now me, yestiddy was Daddy’s Day. And my little 'uns asked “Daddy, what do you want for Daddy’s Day?”

And I said “I want a nice quet, peaceful day, with no fighting, back-talk, or arguing”.

And my loving 6-year-old said, “Mommy, Daddy wants us to go away for Daddy’s Day, so you have to take us someplace.”

So i got breakfast in bed (the First Time in my Life), and the entire clan left for the day. While they were gone, I cleaned:

A. organized 5 boxes of mom’s stuff (She just moved into a nursing home, and I’m cleaning out her house),
B. cleaned part of the garage (again, I keep doing this lately, see above),
C. cleaned the kitchen,
D. cleaned, shampooed and vacuumed the car,
E. packed up a truck full of donated stuff,
F. read most of a book
G. played on the PC
H. took a short (30 minute) nap
I. Organized a bunch of stuff for a conference in a couple weeks
So I spent my nice quiet Daddy Day doing all my honey-dew list! But the wife was happy :wink: , so Alles Gut!

I watched an episode of Dirty Jobs last night, and one story was about an alligator farm in Louisiana. They had Mike feeding the littlest gators Purina Gator Chow, and it wasn’t all that much different than Grape-Nuts on the floor for the iguanas. Life imitates art, and everything…