Now that it's cooler...how about an Arizona/Phoenix dopefest?

1010 E Washington is the closest to me although I can certainly make it to any of the other ones.

I like the afternoon idea since that way we won’t be interfering with anyone’s Saturday night plans. However, I don’t have any plans for that Saturday night yet.

Of course.

And everybody should remember that there is usually a weird surprise for the people that attend.

Last dopefest we had fossils for all, this time…

Nah, I won’t tell, it is a surprise.

I missed out on fossils??! Awww, man! :frowning:

I don’t currently have plans for the 11th - I too like the one on 11th St, but can certainly make it to any. I’ll put the 11th on my calendar.

I could literally walk there from my work! I’m down, time permitting.

And, having read the rest of the thread, I think I can make it. The bar at Central and South Mountain is OK, as is the one in Scottsdale. If we do the first one, I can just go do lesson plans for a couple of hours before hand! If we do the second, it’s a little closer to my house.

If it’s Saturday, could it be lunch-ish? As I said, Sunday’s a workday for me and late Saturday makes me reluctant. Besides, us Browncoats meet the first Saturday at 6pm.

Oh, and Los Dos Molinos – Central would be my favorite.

Sweet! I’m in.

I’m in North Phoenix, so wherever is fine with me! I just need enough notice to ask the in-laws to babysit for a bit.

Whaa? Did I miss these when I went?

Unfortunately you missed the 2006 one when Skipmagic came to Phoenix:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=360088&highlight=skipmagic

But I will see if I still have a few bits left for you and **Mauvaise **for this dopefest.

Glad you’re around to help out with the details, GIGObuster, never good at it myself. :slight_smile:

I don’t live in Phoenix, but am a frequent visitor. The last time I was there visiting my daughter, we went to a restaurant I want to recomend for this dope fest or just for general info.

Maria, Maria is FABULOUS! Located somewhere near ASU stadium in a new(ish) mall, it’s owned by Carlos Santana and serves a good-sized selection of unique and traditional Mexican dishes. Very interesting place with lots of room for big gatherings.

I’ve eaten at several different kinds of Mexican and Tex/Mex restaurants throughout the Southwest and never eaten anything quite like it.

Just my 2¢.

Bah, I should’ve gone. That job I was at back then - always with the happy hours! But then I read far enough in the thread to remember that my friend’s wife asked for a divorce that day and he needed someone to hang out with, so I can’t beat myself up too bad for not going. I’m pretty sure I’ll make this one.

Slightly off topic but what better place to ask? Do any of you guys mountain bike? I’m looking for someone to ride with but the one friend I have who rides is so far beyond my skill level it isn’t even fun. As in, he rode pro for 4 years, and I’ve ridden 5 times in my entire life :).

Heh, I was formulating a reply in my head before I even read the whole thing and was going to say that I’ve just taken a liking to riding (I have my ex’s hybrid bike for the time being), but I’ve only ridden like 3 times (in as many months) and all on surface streets so to say I’m a beginner would be an overstatement. I haven’t even taken the bike on dirt yet, so if you wouldn’t mind ridding on FLAT trails (at least at first) I would be up for it!

I’ll add my own hijack. Anyone into hiking? I’ve just started, but I find it addicting as crack.

What have you been doing? I’ve done the usual suspects around Phoenix many times; Camelback, Squaw Peak, some Phoenix Mountains Preserve numbered peaks, the White Tanks, etc. The Go-John Trail near Cave Creek, Burro Flats up near Lake Pleasant, the Flat Iron out in the Superstitions, Humphreys Peak and Escudilla Peak up north, Carr’s Peak down south, Fossils Springs up above Payson etc etc. Haven’t been much this summer because I never get started early enough to beat the heat but the weather is starting to get pretty nice.

Just Squaw Peak so far…looking at Camelback as well.

You’ll love Camelback. Squaw Peak is like walking up stairs IMO. The Camelback Echo Canyon Trail is a little more varied; some flat parts, some steep parts, no switchbacks. And it’s the top of Phoenix. :cool:

Was Squaw Peak challenging for you?

That happened to me a little over a year ago - went hiking like two mornings in August and then hiked every day for close to a year! Sometimes even twice a day. Finally last August I couldn’t do it any more - I was getting up at 4.30 to hike when it’s cool(er) before work. I have only been a handful of times since then. I need to get back to it - my goal is to go at least once during the weekend - even if it’s only local.

One of my favourite local hikes is the Circumference Trail at Squaw peak. I do not like the Summit trail at Squaw peak - I realise it’s a really efficient workout but I need more than just a work out when I hike. It’s a mental workout as well.

Cisco - I haven’t done the Echo Canyon trail, but did enjoy the Cholla (except for the whole no where to park part).

The summit trail was quite challenging, yes.