(Old) Can You Hear that Cranberry "Schloop"? - A Thanksgiving MMP

So are you Team Can, or are you one of those whole berry people? And do they even have the canned stuff in Canada when they celebrate Metric Thanksgiving? Anyways, up, caffeinated, and off to start Peak Season heaving.

Hijack away, i’ll be back in a bit.

I’m Team “cranberry cannot be made palatable no matter what”. :slight_smile:

DH does like canned cranberry sauce, but it’s a bit on the high-carb side for his pancreas’ liking.

I make my own cranberry sauce.

This is my recipe!

https://www.copymethat.com/r/4izV7RzH1/eddies-famous-cranberry-sauce/

Team Can! Lurves me some cranberry jelly!

Up early but gotta fast till I get bled - I plan to be waiting when they open. Tobias will be delivered after and dare I hope for an easy day?

Found I didn’t hit post yesterday for this:

Especially when you’re as close to 70 as I am… yoiks!

I got MIL’s smart plugs working for her - she’d be lost without Alexa! So now she has 3 lamps that she can turn on and off verbally.

We talked to her today about moving in with us - not pushing it, but asking her to consider it. It wouldn’t be a big deal for us - in fact, it would be easier having her here rather than worrying when she didn’t answer her phone. And we can take her to the senior center as she wishes, which would be good for her. It’ll require moving the stuff stored in the guest bedroom to (probably) the basement, but that’s doable.

One thing FCD and I agreed upon - we’d hire a crew to move her stuff from the apartment to our house. Getting her moved in there was hard on us. She can afford to pay for labor, since her board here won’t be even close to her rent, etc. And she loves Higgs - I think she really misses having a dog. So fingers crossed that she’ll decide to move here.

I’ve got my T-day dinner plans all set. There are things to do over 3 days, but not a whole lot on any one day. Using Outlook calendar made it easy to spread the chores.

So, Happy Moanday!

Morning, mumpers! It’s 9c/48f with a predicted high of 10c/51f, and mostly sunny. Weather app says “Is it partly cloudy, or partly sunny? Who knows? It’s fucking stupid, regardless.” I can tell you that it’s definitely sunny out there today, and I am looking at blue skies.

I am not a fan of cranberry stuff, I can just about tolerate the juice but I don’t bother with cranberry sauce with turkey.

Not a lot going on today, I’m working from home for two days and then on leave for a week which I’m really looking forward to (apart from the 6hr drive to Scotland). I’ve had one meeting this morning, and have two tomorrow morning then all I need to do is write a handover to my boss, and I’m out of here. It’s not even my turn to cook dinner tonight so I have even less responsibility!

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN 'Tis 53 Amurrkin out and partly cloudy (mostly moony?) with a predicted high of 77 and mostly N.O.S. The big item on today’s agenda is men’s night over to the church house. We’ll go over around fourish to do prep stuff as is our wont. Other than that it shall be the usual sloth, general overall uselessness, nappage and so forth.

I am team “schwump.” I lurve the canned cranberry sauce. The sound it makes comin’ out of the can is satisfyin’, plus all the little lines on it from the can are festive and decorative. I even have a purty dish in which to serve. Oh, and just so y’all don’t think I’m a slacker, I pulled Mr. Tom outta da freezer Sattidy mornin’. He’s thawin’ nicely in the beerator.

Wheelie I forgot to respond in the last MMP, but geez, that was quite the hotel adventure. However, yay for the fancy upgrade. Don’t blame ya for wantin’ to make your own reservation from now on.

flipper LTNS! I admire anyone who wants to go through all that to make their own cranberry sauce. I fear it would take away from my sloth cred.

MOOOOOOM here’s hopin’ MIL makes the decision to move in. It would be easier all around it seems.

J-Bats sorry the dawg job didn’t work out, but appropriate/inappropriate appendages crossed for the possible new gig.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Moanday Y’all!

Up, showered, dressed, having tended to the critters. I’ll be leaving in a few minutes for the Dr office to get blood drawn for my appt next week. I suspect I’ll indulge in a McBreakfast after, because I’m stahving already!!

Onward!!

Great minds think alike. I’m up for my bio break, and considering the same.

(Years ago: “Party time!” Now: “Potty time!”)

Whelp, the trash just got picked up, time to … I dunno.

Good morning, everyone! I do enjoy a good shloop, but other than that, I can take cranberry jelly or leave it. My sister makes a cranberry orange relish I like, though. This is the first time in many years I don’t have a turkey taking up valuable refrigerator real estate. A ham just isn’t as bulky.

I had a nice surprise visit from my DIL yesterday. She was on her was south for her first day at her new job. She’ll mostly be WFH but has first day stuff to do, like getting her photo snapped for her pass. She brought me a tiny poinsettia. They put in an offer on a house, so fingers crossed there. They haven’t decided whether to rent or sell their sweet little Seattle house. I’d rent it myself if I could afford it. Seattle rents are insane.

I have a hair appointment today. I haven’t had a trim in it 4 months because I hated the short hairstyle the last place gave me. My hair looks awful now, though. I’m switching salons. I’ve been going to the same place for years, as they’re cheap and very nice, but they don’t speak English well, and i don’t speak Vietnamese at all, and it’s led to some issues.

I’m off to catch up on last week’s MMP. Happy Monday, everyone!

Should Shoe get a McBreakfast?
  • Yes, they’re delicious!
  • No, what a waste of money.
  • What the hell is a McBreakfast?
  • I’ll come over and make you a home-cooked meal, then wash the dishes afterwards.
0 voters

I never made a poll before. Figured I’d try it here, in this safe space. Worst case scenario, I fail spectacularly.

Mornin’ everyone.

I am down here in Olympia waiting for Haggen to open so I can get some yogurt and a banana for breakfast.

It’s 34F and foggy at the moment.

I didn’t want to come down here today, but one must one’s face time in. I will get little to nothing done, but I am not going to sweat it.

Five more wake-ups till we pick up the puppies!

I opted out of the McBreakfast because the line was stupid long at the drive thru, which means it would be stupid slow inside, too, and I just didn’t want to bother. So I’m having a PB&J on toast.

I got an amazing vampire this morning - I didn’t even feel the needle going in!! That’s rare because I’m usually a tough stick, plus I’d forgotten to drink some water this morning. But it was quick and easy, so huzzah!! I passed FCD on my way home - he’s heading over to take his mom’s BP - another thing that’d be easier if she lived here.

I need to refill the pellet stove before the kidlet gets here. And I haven’t decided if we’re playing upstairs or down today. I think I can manage the stairs. Decisions, decisions…

And shoe - you forgot an option in your poll - “I’ll have a McBreakfast Door-Dashed to you immediately!!”
:wink:

I grew up with that canned jelly and never much liked it. My wife makes cranberry sauce from scratch with cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, pecans, orange juice and a shot of Grand Marnier. No recipe, she just wings it. Great stuff.

Q’itih seems to be having some gastric issues. Woke up to really horrible poop stench this morning, and then she barfed. Hoping it’s just hairball problems and not something more serious. Yesterday she had poop stuck in her fur, which was fun to clean up. Great start to the week!

I like the schloop cranberry jelly, and homemade cranberry sauce. My former MIL made the best cranberry orange sauce. I will have neither since I am having ham on T Day.

Good morning, kids!

I’ve been a’lurk as is my wont, but my terrible eyes are always upon ye. Tremble, mortals! Or don’t, I’m pretty timid.

I like cranberry anything in any shape or form. As such I usually go with the canned stuff for convenience sake.

It’s rainy and dim up here in the Northern Wastes, just how I like it. My place is all xmas-i-fied because I’m one of those degenerates that get the tree up in early November.

I’ve got some work friends and a gal I’ve been seeing in Fargo (very cute, similar downer-goth-kid vibes to yours truly) coming over for Thanksgiving, looking forward to that. Opportunities to show off my cooking for others are few and far between these days. Got a job interview tomorrow morning (Library Technology Manager) that would be a big pay bump and also relocate me closer to civilization - a long shot just like the last one that I didn’t get, but I’m gonna keep shooting!

Love to y’all.

Morning all. This is my last day at sea, we’re making our way up the Baja coast to L.A. early tomorrow. Have paid the credit card that was due today, so that was my major accomplishment. Big job today is to pack so they can pickup my luggage tonight and have it on the dock when I depart at 9am.

Hope I am not considered a heretic, but I’ve never cared for cranberries.

Cookie, hope that cat stops smelling you out of house and home.

FCM, hooray for the painless needle.

Shoe, enjoy breakfast.

Nellie, hope your hair is styled to your standards this time. I hardly have enough hair to bother with.

OK, need to finish my breakfast and get about some serious shortage. Have a good week all.

how lovely! very inviting. beautiful supervisor.

i am team cranberry, ocean spray did a really nice cranberry orange relish. i usually have a can or two of jelly and fruited around at all times.

Mornin’ folks! It’s 845ish here under sunny skies with 75/24 going up to 81/26 later.

I’m up, sheveled, and just ordered breakfast at a nearby diner sorta place. Akin to Denny’s but without the raging hopelessness and grease-encrusted windows. Much more pleasant vibe. Next stop is golf lesson 2. Her Ladyship yet slumbers.

This. It’s very important not to disturb the can lines getting it out. And you must eat it from the ends to preserve the can lines as long as possible. When I was a kid that was very important and still is some. We always also had the canned “chunky” kind. Which I actually prefer over the jelly as a food, but it lacks the kid-tradition hook.

Nowadays Her Ladyship always makes something elaborate from scratch with 3 kinds of fruit and 10 spices that is delicious, but completely misses the elemental nature of cranberry sauce.

Birth-aversary party last night was good. 12 folks all from the old condo. The birthday couple plus 2 other pairs were over 60 years married. It was done family style at an upper-middle Italian joint. So we ended up with 4 courses of interesting appetizers & 3 courses of fun entrées, plus wine & an assortment of pastry desserts. Everyone waddled out replete.

The restaurant is in the restaurant row near the condo, and unrelated to our party two other couples from there wandered in and added to the festivities. One pair brought their 30-something daughter and 8 month old grandgirl who totally stole the show.

Wheelz: I have felt your pain. There is nothing more disheartening than fouled up hotel arrangements at the end of an exhausting day while the clock is ticking towards start time in the morning. Glad you pulled off a coup at the end And good luck on organizing a glass factory. You do get to see some very interesting stuff in that job.

Don’t forget that you’ve been dividing your efforts between old and new place. Now that old is winding down, your pace at the new place can & will pick up.

An equally valid question is how much of that crap vital stuff is really relevant to your current lives? You might try just getting stuff out of a box when you first need to use it and not before. Once a year has passed, any stuff still in boxes or bags just gets donated to the thrift store without peeking to see what’s inside. Whatever it is, you’ve proven you don’t need it.

Yaay! Glad to hear of possible progress.

Shoe: Hope you got good breakfast Mc- or otherwise.

I gotta go. Cheers all! Moanday forth with gusto!!

I’m definitely Team Can. Sadly, I’m the only one in the household who enjoys any type of cranberry sauce, so I don’t usually get any. It seems like a lot of my old favorites are being phased out lately. Ham instead of turkey, which means no stuffing. No green bean casserole. No pumpkin pie. The only thing that I still get is my corn pudding. Eh, at least Hubby and CtE are happy with it. BtY only ever eats rolls anyway and it’s not like I don’t enjoy ham and mashed potatoes and broccoli. I just miss my other favorites too.

My talk with Partner yesterday was very good and very necessary. We were able to state our needs, our wants and our problems. We’re at a place where we are able to look forward and make steps in that direction. The biggest what is about the future at the moment is whether he has the bandwidth at the moment to maintain a third relationship. It’s something he needs to determine for himself, though obviously I’m hoping that he determines he does. The relationship has been good for both of us so far, giving us a view into ourselves since we’re so much alike. I’m really hoping we can keep up the communication and desire to make things work.

The kids only have 2 days of school this week, which I’m hoping will mostly be time of working on past assignments, but we’ll have to see. I hope I can use the 5 day weekend to help both kids knock out most of their party due work. Well, that and maybe to get them to help a little with cleaning.

I’m continually amazed at how lucky I am to have Hubby by my side. He has been helping me physically, emotionally, and even taking on the heavy lifting for looking into what will need to be done after Dad is gone because he knows I’ll be a mess. He’s getting a for day weekend and I’m hoping to make one of those days about whatever he wants.

BooFae yay for less responsibility! Everyone deserves that sometimes.

From one though stick to another, congratulations! It’s weird, but the vampires at the doctor’s office always seem to have an easier time of it than the vampires at the Blood Bank. I don’t know if it’s because they have to take more out of me so it’s more difficult or if they just aren’t as good, but I always leave the Blood Bank looking like a bruised pin cushion.

Niner, glad to see you! Happy that you’ve got a new gal and I’ll be crossing my fingers on the job front. As for the X-Mas stuff, I shall not speak of it in an effort to preserve our online friendship. :wink:

Now I should get up and get ready to help help the littles from sneaking out during storytime. And maybe eat something*. And probably take my meds. Yeah, I should.

*I don’t think I’ll stop for McBreakfast but BlueHedgehogBreakfast is a distinct possibility.

Wow, that poll setup was easy peasy. Look forward to more silly/existential questions in the Mumper future!

Huh, our McD was so deserted I briefly wondered if they were closed or something.

.… if that gives away my ultimate decision.

Now having a restorative cuppa, and sending out a couple of badly-overdue personal texts (Hi, Mom!) in an attempt to be a less shitty human being.

Speaking of being a shitty human being, I discovered we are running perilously low on gooshy-food for the howling freeloader handsome sweetheart who shares my home, a transgression which cannot be allowed to continue.

Plus I brought home a coupla fresh boxes from work, so his current stink zone can be tossed into the now-empty bin (I don’t like having an open box of clay and :poop: balanced precariously atop other trash, better to have it nice’n’flat at the bottom) and replaced with a nice, new clean one.

Which, by one of the Laws of Cat, will be immediately christened inappropriately.

Nice.

Oh, I’ve dashed stuff to me before, but McD is quite literally less than a 2 minute drive away, and that’s if I hit the light. If I can’t throw on a bathrobe sweatshirt to manage that, then I don’t deserve junk food.

Besides, I’m mad enough about paying almost six bucks for my bagel (“things used to cost less!” shakes fist at sky) I ain’t adding a delivery fee for that.

If imma pay DoorDash, there’s a place with lovely ginger-chicken dumplings and bubble tea and DAMN YOU WOMAN you gonna break my budget with your suggestions.

:wink:

I already knew I needed to get some crap cleared up around here, but your photo has really inspired me to declutter more thoroughly. What an inviting scene.

(Love the rug. Really ties the room together!)

What is kitty’s name?

Takes most of the fun out of it.

Man, I miss Waffle House.

If memory serves, there was even a Bible story about this precise scenario, so I guess the frustration is a tale almost as old as time.

Ummm … details, plznthx?

Yet again … details, plznthx? I am intrigued.

Ratties got their snax and fresh water bottles (jeebus, those rodents have a drinking problem!) which brought Charm out to stretch her legs nose around investigating the smells and noises of the nearby goings-on.
(… tongue around?)

Even Pretzel was chilling on top of her favorite hide instead of inside it, so I guess everyone came out for the social gathering. Properly distanced, of course.

Does she add any Grand M. to the sauce itself?

bah-dum psss