But give them a chance to process and adjust. If my friend Denise suddenly told me henceforth he was Dennis, I’m pretty sure my first reaction wouldn’t be “Good for you” - probably more like “Oh…” That’s not disapproval or rejection. And while it’s not as huge a step as going from Denise to Dennis, it’s still “My girl friend is now my guy friend” and it does have an impact.
Just because such a reveal isn’t met with “Yay! Good for you!!” it doesn’t mean you’re being rejected. FWIW, I kinda reacted the same way when a good friend told me she was marrying a jerk. I saved that reaction for when she divorced the jerk.
Seriously, tho, change is hard for just about everyone. It’s just the way people are. The ones who aren’t willing to change aren’t worth fretting about, IMHO.
I don’t recall explaining terlits…
I loaded the curtains in the washer. I added detergent. I closed the door. I didn’t push “start” - dammit. So I’m going to be about 45 minutes longer with laundry today. Dammit. Just finishing lunch and that load is, at last, done, Onward!
I think that’s called “stank”. As in “Boy, that sure stanks purty.”
Slogged through exercise. Our leader saw my Alaska t-shirt and asked if I’d been there and I told her that I was born and raised. She said she and some friends are taking a tour up there next year and I volunteered to give them some recommendations.
Did most of the puzzles, although the NTY crossword defeated me. ::shakes fist::
I was not as calm as I would have liked to have been. It took a LOT to not stomp in yelling and cussing. It is infuriating tbh. They know who I am, how could they not? They send me two checks a month (SS and state retirement), they pay for my medical care and they collect homeowner’s and income taxes from me every year. My Real ID is less than three years old and my passport was issued this year.
They know who I am and they know where I live, all of this drama was totally unnecessary and pretty upsetting.
At least I had gone through the whole verification process in the last couple of years and knew where everything was. I can easily see someone who has lived in the same home for twenty years not having everything at their fingertips and just giving up because they didn’t have time to figure out which now defunct county their father was born in.
I remember Mom’s marching the streets in protest the first year. Their kids didn’t want to go to bed until it was dark and Arizona doesn’t need no more stinkin’ sunlight anyhow. Even with SDT, there were a couple of months a year that I was driving to and home from work in the dark.
I need to remember that I can do this now. After Hub’s gout attacks, he is pretty scared of beef and pork now. Which is not a bad thing TBH, I don’t miss it, I just forget that I can swap protein sources with a lot of things.
He didn’t want to risk getting sucked back out into the mean streets. Steve, aka The Best Cat In The World, was terrified of the outside doors and would run away and hide in my room whenever they were opened. He liked going in his nice safe catio, he did NOT want to risk the streets again.
You wanted to share your good news with a friend. What else?
I agree with the others, if he doesn’t like it, well, he can just go and kick rocks.
Thank you for double checking, do remind all of your friends
Happy birthday Mrs Chefguy!
Be sure there are no lilies in the bouquet, beautiful but very bad for cats - and people make bouquets out of all sorts of things. My favorite are the flower cupcakes but many people also bake cookies on sticks for them.
How exciting, I’m happy you are finally getting this done. It will make things much easier for you. I don’t understand why you feel the need to vacuum before workmen come in and track up the place, but you do you
We don’t have much planned for today, the final lesson for my myster class dropped yesterday and I’m having trouble resisting looking at the pics of the completed class. I was hoping to be able to catch up, maybe I can get some work done while I’m sitting on hold, I expect there will be a lot of that in the next couple of weeks.
It’s already up to 78F. I was planning on kicking Hubs out for a few hour ride, but it will be too hot by the time he gets home. That’s OK, D4 just started a new season, I’m sure that Sanctuary needs defending.
Honestly? I think than anyone would need a little time to process this. It is a very big life change for you during very hard times for folks like you. If we were rl friends, I’d be deadnaming you out of habit so often that I’d stop using your name out of mortification.
This wouldn’t indicate disapproval, it would indicate that I am a dumbass who can’t remember a simple name from one day to the other and am afraid of hurting you.
Windows are DONE!!! Screens are DONE!! Window in our bathroom is BROKEN!!!
Oh, it still opens and closes, but I have to be careful letting it down inside to clean the outside - each window (double hung) has a broken fitting at the bottom, so they’re actually only attached on one side. Luckily, they’re small, so I can open them in without breaking the other fitting. But it’s a pain and a challenge.
I also scrubbed the tub where I was cleaning the screens - it got pretty gross but now it’s all white and shiny!
And Alexa just told me to check the laundry - my curtains should be dry and ready to hang. Onward!!!
The windows were installed at least 16 years ago, so I doubt there’s any warranty. Plus I don’t recall who installed them. I just know we had windows, roof, and siding done all at once circa 2010.
Oops. Was a comment on financial stuff that you discussed with Taters, got it posted in the wrong place. Mea Culpa.
Cookie, I’ll take the Firday NY Times puzzles with me to the gym in a bit, expect I will do no better on the crosswords than you have.
Mollie, glad to hear it, FCM said it best (got the reference right this time), takes a little time for someone hearing momentous news to process it.
And I checked my vote record and am good to go for November.
JtC, understand your frustrations and imagine that they have been multiplied many thousands of times this year.
FCM, Yay! for the windows being done…would you like to come do mine next? Hope the bathroom window can be fixed.
And just hanging around so I can go to the gym, burn calories there, and then go direct to the soccer field for my U7 game…if I’m away from home I’m not that tempted to eat and drink to excess (been a struggle today…).
Honestly? If not for the cross-country move, I would have been able to lay my hands on the documentation for the windows we put in 20 years ago. This is not really a good thing, we just put that sort of thing in a file cabinet folder marked with the year. We load from the front and really only pay attention to the Owner’s Manual for the dishwasher we had installed three house ago when we pull it out of the back and pitch it.
I’m not really like that with other stuff, just appliances and home improvements. It only takes one drawer.
It’s been a busy week and there are at least two things I should be doing right now vs reading/posting here, but I could use a mental break – plus time to eat the banana and Uncrustable I just brought up from the kitchen (I’m working from home today) – so here I am.
When I moved into this house in early June, I met the woman in the end unit next door and learned that she’s a fellow singer – and that we actually have a friend in common! She’s a single mom living there with her late-teens son (she also has a grown daughter) and a renter like me, and she told me back then that her homeowner was thinking about selling. I didn’t see/talk to her again until Tuesday night: she happened to be outside when I got home from work, so I said hello. Turns out her homeowner did decide to sell, and she’s moving…this week! She’s lived there for 10+ years. We exchanged cell phone numbers (better late than never), and it was good because on Wednesday she needed to borrow a screwdriver to disassemble some furniture she’s selling. She texted both me and the woman who lives behind us – her front door faces our decks[1]; she must not park in her garage, because I often see her coming and going while I’m at my kitchen table building Lego – and I got there first, and the other woman brought over my screwdriver a little while later[2]. She told me she’d offered to return it to me, which was awesome because then we finally got to meet and exchange numbers. She’s 66, and has lived here for 20 years. Yay for finally starting to meet some neighbors (even if one of them is sadly on her way out; we’re going to try to meet for coffee sometime after she’s settled in her new place)!
I’ve had an opening on my team since mid-August, and on Thursday a few of us interviewed someone: we liked him enough to ask the recruiter to go ahead and make him an offer. Late on Wednesday, the recruiter requested an urgent call: it’s a complicated situation, but in short not only was the guy super unhappy with the offer (a 50% salary increase; he’d wanted 80%!!), he was quite belligerent and pretty rude to the recruiter! Unrealistic, entitled, arrogant, the whole nine. In short, not someone I want on my team. Luckily, we were able to rescind the offer yesterday (it was only verbal, but Legal still had to agree). I absolutely dodged a bullet with that guy, but now it’s back to the drawing board and I am so. Tired. Of. Hiring.
In happier news, I bought two new Lego sets yesterday! They got released yesterday and weren’t available for pre-order, and I decided to go to the Lego store after work – since I literally drive to the mall anyway in order to get home. Two more sets will be released on Sunday: at first I thought I’d wait and get all four at the same time, but then I learned that a set I pre-ordered and had been expecting yesterday might not be delivered until Monday. I’ve been without any Lego to build for a full week, and couldn’t face another brick-less Friday/Saturday! Plus, a couple of the sets are quite large and all four could be a little heavy. One of the sets I got yesterday is a giant Mrs. Claus minifigure that I won’t put together until closer to Thanksgiving, but I’m looking forward to starting the bookstore book nook when I’m done working today.
Yikes, it’s 1:20pm already. This has been a bit of an extended lunch break…time for a few replies, then back to work!
When I was waiting to be taken to the operating room for my 2021 bariatric surgery, at one point the nurse said, “Sorry for the delay, we’re just waiting for the results of the pregnancy test.” WifeBFF was in the pre-op area with me and we both started laughing so hard we nearly cried…I’d been post-menopausal for over a year at that point!
Excellent!
Happy birthday to the missus! But yeah, my father will turn 80 in two years and for some reason that number just feels surreal. Like, 80. It hurts my head a little. More than any of my own milestone birthdays have (so far).
I hope you’re feeling better today, and won’t be deterred from telling other IRL friends!
Update: Earlier this week my property manager said that his contractor is planning to start my deck repairs this month. Fingers crossed!! ↩︎
As a general rule I don’t answer my door if I’m not expecting anyone, but I figured it was probably my neighbor. ↩︎
Does Otis have special dietary needs? Cuz every kennel I’ve sent my dudes to has provided foods, even after I asked if I should bring some.
mollie I’ll add my agreement that it is great your friend accepted you, and anyone who doesn’t can pound sand.
Hippo Birdies, Mrs Chef!
Nut Conga-rats on the thesis submat-taion! I remember when I put mine in, such a relief to have that over with.
Ms Former Feral is still mad that I made the back yard escape proof. She likes to go galivanting around the neighborhood and come back in her own sweet time. If’n I didn’t live about 100 yards from a road where people drive 60 I might be ok with it.
Still digging this work schedule of 4 9s and a 4. And I scheduled an appointment with a doctor…I’m going to have a PCP for the first time since I was in high school.
Happy Friday! Another beautiful day at 65F/18C with a light breeze, so the windows have all been open and will be for most of the day. Cats are very pleased. I am not sure what the weekend holds yet but it should be mostly quiet and uneventful.
Happy birthday Mrs Cookie! I hope she has a wonderful day.
Mollie Yay for the friend being understanding! Enjoy homecoming.
Taters Enjoy the new door. It’s amazing how much something like that can really change the look and feel of a space.
Red Too bad about the tire. Hopefully replacements aren’t too expensive.
FCM A lot of work on those windows, that’s got to feel good to have that out of the way.
Van Gogh I work that same schedule and love it. I’ve done it for so long now I don’t know that I could go back to a standard 8-5.
One happy belly full of free[1] fud and prosecco. I may need to revise former comments about having no decent Indian places in town; that one really is not bad. There’s enough left for tomorrow as well.
The viva will not be at least until November, btw. I will need to prepare a talk, but I already have the outline of one I can adapt from a previous version so it shouldn’t be too complex. Then I need to start job hunting in earnest, which I am not looking forward to.
well, I did give the nice and stressed looking delivery guy a decent tip ↩︎
Long/Late Night … and a Friday, which just seems to bring out the cray-cray more than other nights.
Hold a candle for me?
I didn’t finish my N.O.T. skinz last night, so the remainder are coming with me for snax today. Oh, yeah, and I have a few slices of smoked Gouda from the nice lil’ deli stashed up there … well, that’s a slight upgrade on the day.
We’ve gone from soggy & drippy to a clear sapphire sky and pleasant (to me) cool temps, so I suppose autumn has officially made an appearance. Currently 62, down to the low 40s tonight.
I’m at the tire store now. They’re replacing both back tires, remounting the good one on an inexpensive rim for a full size spare and getting me out for ~$;400. About what I budgeted for just the tires, so yay!
This kennel requires that you send your dog’s food. Which is fine. I’d hate for them to get him used to something gourmet when he eats like a peasant here…
OK, off to Little Caesar’s to pick up supper. Delivery and tip would more than double the cost of our cheap supper.
I am typing from our rental cabin in the Ozarks. It is a pleasant evening. Some sort of Sportsball is on TV. I am sautéing a couple of mushrooms or our burgers. My nephew is cooking smashburgers. We have numerous bags of chips. It should be great
Howdy Y’all! I did duties, ran errands and picked up stoner food. We et, napped, day drank and watched stoopid teevee. It’s been rainin’ off and on since around three p.m. which is nice. Tomorrow and Sunday, at least, look to be very soggy days. Don’t have to be anywhere tomorrow, so that’s fine, but I have Verger duty Sunday, plus it’s first Sunday brunch, so I shall make crockpot bbq, a cabbage casserole (that was actually requested) and a chawklit pee-kahn cake tomorrow. It’ll be sump’n to do along with watchin’ my DAWGS play a very soggy homecomin’ game tomorrow afternoon.
Cookie Happy Birthday to the Wife! You are the same age as my oldest brother. He’ll be eighty next year.
Nuts hope the promised free food showed up. Enjoy the prosecco.
MOOOOOOM N.O.T. soup is always a good thing. I wait until I hear the washer start before I walk away. Same with the clothes dehydrator. Then again, I check to make sure the stove and oven are off before leavin’ even if I have not used 'em. Oh and the toaster must be unplugged. Those are my CDO things.
Taters glad the door thing is finally happenin’. Will there no longer be a pet door?
BooFae and Nuts I have learned an ummm… innerestin’ thing about terlets and their usage. I could have gone the rest of my life without knowin’, but, well, now I know. A movie and sofa time sounds like a good evenin’ to me.
MOOOOOOM and Taters I get antsy about money too, even though the two of us are fairly comfortably well off. I think some of it comes from bein’ raised by 'rents who lived through the great depression.
red happy tire replacement, I guess? OK, no one is happy to have to do that.
Mollie good on your friend! You know, of course, a whole lot of internet strangers also have your back.
JtC the second drawer in the filin’ cabinet is dedicated to home stuff. Hey, it may be the only thing I’m organized about, but it’s there.
Oopsie glad you got to meet a couple of neighbors even if one of ‘em is on the way out. Also, yep, you dodged a bullet there. Sorry you have to start over with findin’ someone though.
VanGo HUZZAH for havin’ a PCP. I see the PA more than I see my PCP, but that’s fine by me. I like her. I like my PCP, as well, but the PA is fun to talk to.
Hippe smashburgers, 'shrooms, and chips sounds great to me!