(Old) The Joy of Brain Farts in the MMP

Last night, I neglected to shut the freezer completely. Dammit. This morning, there was a frosty residue from the slight crack that permitted not-freezer air in all night. Which means the stoopit appliance was running all night.

So, how’s your week starting out?

Happy Moanday!

I have a much bigger and better brain fart:

This past Thursday afternoon, I gassed up my wife’s hybrid with the usual unleaded petrol.

Then Friday afternoon, it was my car’s turn, so I took it to the same station and gassed it up at the same pump with the same fuel.

The problem is, my car is a diesel.

Thankfully, I realized my error after I secured the cap and before I turned on the car, so the wrong fuel is just in the tank, not in the whole system. I called a tow truck and the vehicle is now at the dealership being flushed and checked. All things considered, it could have been much, much worse.

Still. What a brain fart.

Few days ago, I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to attend an event in Dallas. Tickets might be running out fast. She said yes. I bought.

The next day, she changed her mind and said she didn’t want to go. Problem is, it cost $200 and is non-refundable.

I should have waited for her to settle in on a decision before buying as soon as she said yes initially.

Our daughter did that when she had a diesel Beetle. Unfortunately, she had started it and drove a short ways (I guess enough to empty the fuel lines of diesel) before the car died. On the plus side, she was fairly close to home when it happened, so we were able to wait with her for the tow truck and bring her home. Expensive lesson for her, but she never did it again…

Spousal unit did this to me frequently. It starts with “Sure, whatever you want” and after $$ has changed hands, he gets all pouty about me making him do something he really doesn’t want to do. I’ve just given up making suggestions unless I know it’s something he’ll want to do.

I guess I can learn, even at my advanced age… :wink:

Sweetie, is that you?

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 70 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted high of 88 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. Bug man is comin’ this mornin’ to do his monthly thang. Tonight is men’s night over to the church house. We shall head over around fiveish to setup/prep for that. Otherwise the usual sloth and general overall uselessness shall prevail.

I think my entire life is a constant brain fart. MOOOOOOM I trust the contenes of the freezer are OK. That would suck if you had to throw away unfrozen frozen stuff.

From the last MMP:

CupCakes it’s a very rare thing to not have cheese straws at a weddin’ reception. It indeed calls to question the legality of the nuptials if cheese straws are not present. Fruit punch with an ice ring full of frozen fruit is another requirement, but its absence will not cause a stir like the absence of cheese straws.

Wheelie good look with the new gig. You’ll get the hang of packin’ for irk travel. When I did such things, I got really good at packin’ a week or sometimes two weeks of stuff in one large suitcase.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Moanday Y’all!

Afternoon, mumpers! It’s 12c/53f with a predicted high of 13c/56f and partly cloudy today. Weather app is unimpressed and has only got one thing to say - “Fucking clouds”. Actually, it’s sunny and rental cat is sitting on the windowsill watching the world go by while she basks in the warmth.

I haven’t had any serious brain farts…yet! However, I try to get myself very organised and ensure everything I’m doing is on a list, a calendar or written down somewhere obvious so that I don’t forget what I’m doing and when I’m doing it.

I have to admit I do live in fear of putting the wrong type of fuel in a car, especially when I’m in the US because your fuel pump hose colours are the opposite to here. I have to look very carefully at what I’m doing, and always ask the rental people what sort of fuel I need. And you still insist in driving on the wrong side of the road :slight_smile:

Nothing exciting happening in my day - working from home, it’s the first day of exams and my new dept doesn’t have any in-person exams. They have 72hr online papers so just need to make sure they have published properly and we’re all good!

Fortunately, everything was still frozen, tho the loaf of bread nearest the gap may have gotten a tad soft. We won’t lose any groceries. But I won’t be happy with our next 'lectric bill, I’m sure.

You’re so cute when you’re in denial… :wink: I remember my first pedestrian experience in London. Before crossing the street, I about gave myself whiplash trying to figure out which way to look! I’m not sure I’d want to operate a vehicle where the steering wheel was opposite, so you’re braver than I am on that count.

I’m showered and dressed. FCD has already left for the boat. In about 90 minutes, I’ll head to his mother’s apt to start my day, or maybe just my morning. Depends on how long she’ll need to shop. I’ve got the cooler in my trunk so we can move her refrigerated foods. We’ll need a couple of boxes for the remainder of the non-refrigerated foods and whatever miscellany is lurking in the old apt. Once we finally get the apartment completely emptied, it should be easy to do a thorough cleaning so she can get her deposit back. I’ll even take the carpet steamer if necessary. Fingers crossed that we’ll get it done this coming weekend.

Fingers also crossed that the boat finally goes back in the water this week. The weather should cooperate - it’s just a matter of available labor at the yard - apparently 2 or 3 guys quit last week. Too hard?? Dunno.

Happy Moanday, all! Sorry for disappearing last week. We’re in the final two weeks of school with appointments all over the place. BtY has his 8th grade graduation next week and I still have to get him something that isn’t his Doctor Eggman hoodie to wear for it. CtE can’t get their permit because of how much school they’ve missed. If I’m lucky, we can just renew and not have to have all the same paperwork, but I am going to need to figure out how to get it okayed.

My brother was in town for work, so Saturday we went to Dad’s to get things done in the house. Hubby, the kids and I mostly moved furniture, but by the end of the weekend (we only went up Saturday, but my brother, my nephew and his family were there Sunday too) Dad had his ramp repaired and new flooring down in the main rooms. Next time Brother comes up, he’ll be putting a railing on the ramp for Dad.

Dad’s spirits are getting better. Part of it, I think, is the fact that he starts learning how to do the peridialysis this week so, hopefully, he’ll be ready to start home dialysis next week. That and the nice weather letting him get outside to tinker are such big things for him.

Mother’s Day was nice. I spent a good portion of the day on the porch, eating Eggs Benedict, drinking coffee and reading books, then played some Arkham Horror with Hubby. Just a nice, relaxing day.

I should probably get my booty out of bed, think about clothes and food and then get BtY to school. But bed is sooooo comfy! Luckily, I’ve still got about 2 hours until I have to leave.

Now here’s hoping I don’t repeat my latest brain fart and forget to put on my glasses… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Morning all. Another nice day in store, outside of the 25% chance of rain this evening. Shopping-n-sammich-n-swimming-n-sauna-n-soccer should keep the day full. Also sent a request for quote to a pressure-wash company for doing my walkways and driveway, I usually get someone to do that every year or so, we’ll see what the price is like.

I probably will have a brain fart today when I get back from the store with everything on my shopping list and realize almost immediately what I forgot…

Real Fish, just seemed to quiet in the MMP with you and nellie missing. Glad to have you back, even if things are still a bit hectic.

FCM, between grandkids and MIL and boat, have you ever retired? :smiley: :wink: :wink:

Never owned a diesel (yet), so that problem has never occurred. Don’t think I’ve ever tried the opposite, either.

OK, onward into the week. All y’all take care.

Another brain fart to add to the pile. I just sent an email and wrote, “Unfortunately on August 10”.

Yes, that’s not a sentence. Sort of forgot to add the bit about us being on vacation.

Sort of nice - opened the mail and had a big envelope. It included the appointment, some other papers to complete, and some envelopes of colonoscopy prep. Nice of doctors to keep track of things.

This week is vacation, so it’s been raining. I’m glad of it - better than the drought in Spain or the heat in the PNW.

Got a new mortgage this morning, after 1.5 hours at the bank, and now I have to figure out what in the world the insurance company wants. So much fun.

Maybe I’ll be lazy and read a bit more.

In Saint Louis the corresponding wedding dish is “muskacholy”. Without that, the kids just ain’t married. What the heck is “muskacholy” you ask? It’s ordinary baked mostaccioli like this:

but with the local pronunciation. And usually the red sauce has about 1 cup of sugar per quart of sauce. Tthey lurves them some super-sweet food, and it being Italian is no defense against the sugar monster. No wonder I caught diabetes living there.

Glad to hear FCM’s frozen stuff is safe. FWIW, a modern fridge burns about 500 watts while running. So an 8 hour screw up is about 4kw/h or ~$1 unless electricity is super-stupid expensive where you are. And of course if the fridge had been left properly closed it still would have run some of that time anyhow.

Yeah. I’ve sorta the opposite problem that ends in the same place: continuous mild vexation.

She’s a follower. I’m a leader. And we have some overlapping interests, but also a lot of disparity. I don’t want to drag her where she doesn’t want to go, but it’s very hard to get her to express a preference even between very different alternatives. And her being more of a homebody than I am, “doing nothing” is always on the table as well.

I also know that me just announcing “We’re doing my X today & my Y tomorrow” would not go over well either. Frustrating it is.

Our Sunday Mother’s Day at Her Ladyship’s daughter’s went well. With the infants gone but not yet replaced, and the tween sulking in her room all day, we had just the 6yo and the three toddlers ranging from 2-1/2 to almost 4. That was much easier for Mom, Her Ladyship, and I to manage and entertain. Much joyous noise was had. And only maybe 2 minutes of crying.

The toddlers are growing and improving their skills at an impressive pace just since we saw them last on Easter. The utterly non-verbal ASD kid has started talking some. It’s funny how they’ll “converse” with each other more eagerly and volubly than they’ll deal with the grumps. It’s actually easier for deaf, childless me to understand what they say to each other than what they say to me or Mom.

Once the homemade turkey pot pie and homemade pecan pie were consumed, and baths, PJs, and goodnight hugs were properly distributed it was time for us to go home. The drive home in the blessed silence was restorative.

I do not know how Daughter does it. But it is her calling.

Time for me to yank on some clothes & go retrieve my car from the shop. Solo breakfast, carwash, & groc stop will ensue.

Today & Tue are my “weekend” and irk re-commences Wed-Fri.

Happy Moanday to all !!

I must have - I haven’t had a paycheck in over 3 years!!!

I finally remembered to run a vinegar solution thru FCD’s water pik. He said it was getting a funky taste. Now it should taste like salad dressing! :rofl: I’m about to head out. Gotta gas up the car, then meet MIL and BIL at the body shop before taking them back to the old apt. Yep, fun ahead…

Brain fart this weekend. Sandy and I have the same bridle for our horses. Hers has a different bit. They were both hanging on the same cleaning hook Saturday. I was done riding; she was getting ready to ride. I took my bridle home and cleaned it. Sunday I get a text from a mutual friend “you have Sandy’s bridle.” Much back and forthing and indeed I took hers home and cleaned it without noticing the bit. Fortunately her bridle was in my car and I was at the barn so we straightened things out. My bridle was still on the hook but her husband borrowed the reins. What a cluster eff.

They have indeed discovered wifi here. Had dinner with the project manager and a couple of the team members last night. They all seem like really nice folks.
Breaking fast at the fabulous Fairfield Inn buffet (i.e. a chafing dish of scrambled eggs and another one of hash browns, and that’s about it) now, and meeting the team to head out in about 15 minutes.

It promises to be a busy week. I’ll check in when I can.

G’mornin’, kids!

I have consistent automobile-related brain farts. There have been two different occasions where I locked my keys in the car… In the ignition with the car running. Both times I was fortunate enough to have a nearby person with a spare key to call, but… Yeah. Then last December, on arriving in Minnesota, I promptly locked my purse in the car… With my keys and my spare key inside. I’ve since invested in a little magnetic combination-lockbox to stash my spare in, 'cuz I’m alone up here.

I had another date with another new person yesterday. It was pleasant, but I don’t see a lot of compatibility with them - they’re at the younger end of my comfort-range age-wise, and there was a palpable difference in both maturity and, like… Cultural frame-of-reference, I guess? Which seems more and more important the older I get. I’m already an old soul, and like… I don’t want to always be explaining myself, or to talk about something emotionally resonant and get a blank stare. I got enough of that from my ex.

But! I still had a nice time and now I have a new friend! And it’s further confirmation that I’m apparently an attractive person by northern Minnesota/Fargo standards. Maybe the market was oversaturated with tall okay-looking trans bitches back home. :stuck_out_tongue:

That job I applied for in Minneapolis has progressed to the “reviewing education/experience” stage, so hopefully I hear about it soon. I expect to get interviewed, and maybe even a second interview - I present myself very well and I have the qualifications. I just think it’s very likely that multiple library veterans with serious management experience will be after the job, and I doubt I can compete with that cadre. We’ll see!

Not a car person - what happens if you start a diesel car with gasoline in the tank? Is the engine wrecked?

NOS?

How is that? I’m not really much for board games usually, but I have a dining room table that never gets used for anything so I’ve been toying with the idea of solo-playing a big board/card game.

I super get that. I’m not leader-y by nature myself, but I seem to wind up with folks who are so passive as to make me look like Churchill. So then they wind up feeling bullied and I wind up feeling exhausted.

Yes, up to and including total replacement of the engine and end-to-end fuel system as a consequential repair. On an older car, this can be so expensive as to effectively total the vehicle. It’s very very bad.

Jigsaw puzzles!

They make some amazingly cool ones these days. My FB feed includes ads for ones that are animals, where the final shape is an actual animal (not just a rectangular picture) and the individual pieces are all cut in the shape of various animals.

Huh. It’s just past 10 a.m. and the trash truck just came by. They’re usually rumble-bumping along and waking my ass up at 8 or even earlier.

I do not mind their delay!

Onward! Into the … bed. After being on the phone with my mother for half an hour after work and then getting around to deciding on dinner - let alone making it - I didn’t crash till around 4ish, I think.

Dinner (when some of y’all are having breakfast) was a baked frozen/stuffed chicken boobie, and a mini can of whomp croissants.
Since there was a saucepan of leftover homemade spicy peanut sauce from making spring rolls, just sitting right there as I was rolling the croissants, I tucked some into one of them.
Just one.
That way, while eating, there’s a mini surprise!

I got stuff I gotta do, on this, my Blessed Day Off. Later. First, some Monkey snuggles and more sleeping.

Not much of a puzzle person, I’m afraid… (my dad and sister are, though!) If I’m gonna spend hours fiddling with teeny pieces, I want a toy to play with at the end! That’s why I do miniatures. :stuck_out_tongue:

My god, if ever there was a “That’s what she said” setup …