Old video games that should be remade or have a sequel

I want a new Warcraft – and not Warcraft III.

I want something from the Warcraft franchise that plays like Starcraft.

And for years I’ve wanted a nice shiny new take on an old game that I used to enjoy-- Seal Team. The original had EGA graphics, but was still a lot of fun, and the missions were evil. The one that stands out the most followed an assassination mission-- you had to raid a funeral to take out the buddies of the guy you’d killed in the last mission. WTF? That game was the most fun ever distributed on a floppy. Except maybe Wolfenstein. (Crap, I still have to get a new computer so I can play Return to Wolfenstein.)

Why not just play Starcraft?

It’s like Speed II except with a bus instead of a boat!

Those weren’t graphics you saw it was animation. Dragon’s Lair was more of an interactive animated movie then it was a video game. Fear not, they are making a Dragon’s Lair remake to be released on various platforms. Instead of being an interactive movie it’ll be a platform game.

Marc

Boy, now I feel kind of silly telling neutron star that Dragon’s Lair is coming out when he already said it was. My bad.

Marc

Aztec.

I used to play that all the time way back in 1981 or so. But it had so many keyboard commands that it was very difficult for my 6 year old body to get past the first level. It would be so much more playable nowadays. BTW Aztec was kind of a rip-off of Raiders of the Lost Ark. And better graphic and music would kick ass too.

Half-Life.

Sweet! Looks like I wont have to kill anyone after all.

I like the Warcraft aesthetic, especially the humans. Back in the day I used to catch myself reacting to orders at work in the voice of a Peon: [resigned]“Yes, sir.” “Allright.”[/resigned] Also I liked the seafaring aspect which Starcraft left behind. Having your resources spread out more added a bit of strategy – build the most tightly defended base imaginable, whatever, if you let someone else monopolize the oil, you’re a goner.

Heh heh. Nah, I can’t play Warcraft II anymore. The AI is lousy, I miss the multilevel terrain of SC, the graphics don’t hold up well, but most of all, it’s too mouse-dependant. No hotkeys for units, no “select all”, no spacebar to locate the building you last received an acknowledgement from, all that UI stuff that they worked out perfectly for Starcraft. (Not to mention your units tend to get lost when you tell them to go from A to B… yeesh.)

I still play Starcraft fairly regularly-- but there aren’t any Orcs, dammit!

I did a search for that old game and look what I found.

I’m glad to hear about the Sam and Max sequel! What a great game. Not nearly enough Naked Psychotic Bunnies in games these days.

Info from Lucasarts here.

Crap, Daoloth, I’ve got to preview once in a while. I wonder if Sierra’s new Seal Team will ever materialize or if it’s dead in the water. It would be neat if they tried to keep the single player “Squad-based” missions intact.

Dragon Warrior VII was released for PSX aproximately a year ago.

The first two games in the series were remade for Gameboy/Gameboy Colour a while before that.

I’d like to see 3 and for redone as PSX/PS2 games, and 5 and 6 redone a la Final Fantasy Anthology/Chronicals, though.

Er…3 and 4. Brain’s broken.

Yeah, and as a hardcore Dragon Warrior I - IV fan, I am disappointed with it. Dragon Warrior games were so cool because they were innovative… now at VII they’re doing the same schtick. Graphics improved to meet the basic needs of the system, but no more. Sounds barely improved. Combat very similar to NES. Plus they came out with this abysmal “Torneko” game based on (I presume) the character named “Taloon” in the US in Dragon Warrior IV, and it sucks bones. It’s like NetHack without the fun.

I was so happy to see these games in the store… how did it go so horribly wrong?

I’d like to see a modern remake to Bard’s Tale.

I’m holding out for a version of Fallout 3 that

1. Resembles the first two, incorporating the storyline into the game (and gives you the chance to actually effect the outcome of the game)
  2. Will run on a machine with something less than a 5Gig processor and a 128MB 3D card.

But god forbid anyone release a strategy/RPG game that doesn’t require the hardware upgrade of the week. :rolleyes:

Yar’s Revenge!

Yar’s Revenge for Game Boy Color

M.U.L.E.

And if that doesn’t date me, nothing will.