Old video games that should be remade or have a sequel

Suddenly I don’t feel so pathetic for keeping a few old computers around to run these classic games …

Some that jump out in my mind that haven’t been named yet:[ul][]Starflight[]Red Baron[]Wasteland[]Star Saga[/ul]And more votes for X-Com, Darklands, Fallout, and Wing Commander.

Journeyman (and others):

Seek ye out a copy of X-Com: Collector’s Edition posthaste. It’s the first three games (UFO Defense, TFTD, and Apocalypse) all done up proper for a Win32 environment.

Well, it runs just spiffy on my old W95, and current W98 machine, anyway. YMMV, but unless you’ve got a really odd hardware setup, it ought to do you okay, I’d think.

[sub]I know, it’s not a remake, but it will let you play the original again, until something better comes along.[/sub]

I’d love to have an updated AutoDuel, incorporating the Second Edition rules.

Pirates Gold! was released in 1993 and re-released in '97 in the Conquer the World compilation. Microids’s Corsairs comes close but it’s mission-based. I found a Corsairs demo if you’re interested.

Fair warning: this doesn’t run on GeForce video cards, which are (unfortunately?) quite common.

Argh, hit Submit too soon, meant to Preview instead.

There is another game that comes close to Sid Meier’s classic but this one isn’t a computer game, not to my knowledge anyway. A PC version of Blackbeard was in the works but ended up being shelved, probably as a result of Avalon Hill being bought out by Hasbro. 'Tis a pity, if any board game ever cried out to be digitzied, Blackbeard is it!

Try googling abandonware.

I’d love to see another Populos, and another Shadowrun. Sega had a version that kicked ass, but I’m sure it would be incredible today.

A web search for the words “Xevious” and “MAME” might just find what you’re looking for.

Who Dares Wins - C64

and

Star Raiders (my version was on the Atari 2600)

both could have cool modern updates

I miss these games sniff

Golgo 13
The Immortal
Splatterhouse
Jumpman/Jumpman Jr.

And I strongly second what MaxTheVool says about 3D in general and Ghouls and Ghosts in particular (and throw in another 2D Castlevania to boot)

Microsoft currently owns the video game rights to the Shadowrun universe, and at one time, there was supposed to be a Tomb Raider style game called Shadowrun: Assassin, centered around an elvish hit woman (I still have the flier for it), but that game got spiked because it was too similar in concept to other games coming out at the time.

Not true! You just have to turn off hardware acceleration (I forget where, but it’s a slider).

PC Gamer had the full version of X-Com on one of its CD-ROMs a year or so ago, and my (at the time) GeForce card wouldn’t run it. This was the fix posted on their website, and it worked fine after I made the appropriate adjustment.

Another visitor! Stay awhile… stay forever!!![sup]* [/sup]

[sup]*[/sup]Please please please let someone out there know what I’m talking about…

I always thought Defender would be great retooled as a flight-sim game.

and there’s one by Square for NES called The 3-D battles of Worldrunner. Haven’t seen one of those in 14 years… bet it would be even cooler with present tech.

I was looking through some NES roms I have and wondering if any of you remember Flying Warriors. It has to be one of the oddest games I ever remember playing but from what I remember, the music was cheesy good and the cool thing is you fight EVERYBODY.

Heh, Worldrunner was one of the first games I got for my NES. It was pretty good.

There is a modern update to Defender in the works, if it hasn’t been released yet. Not quite a flight sim but it is 3D.

I agree that River City Ransom needs to be remade. That was one of the funnest games I ever played. I loved how you could pick up enemies and throw them at each other, or even swing them like bats.

I never could finish those games.

BTW: my favorite abandonware site has an EGA version of the sequel available for download. I’d post a link for it but I don’t want to annoy the Mods.

No…no…NO!!

Mission accomplished! Congratulations!

Id love to see AutoDuel remade. and i have to agree with D_Odds on Pirates!

Everybody’s Golf is the same as Hot Shots Golf. HSG 3 is on PS2 right now.

There have been several different versions of Street Fighter II.

And Resident Evil had a “Director’s Cut” for PSX and now a full remake on GameCube.