"Only 20 People in the Universe Like ___, and 19 of them are SDMB Regulars"

There are some serious admirers of actor Gary Oldman amongst the Dopers.

In a previous thread, I didn’t have the guts to say that for me, Oldman registers a solid –meh for fear that I get flamed to gently, smoldering crispy critter.

Also the Rush fans here are a crowd not to be trifled with. Mess with them at your peril.

Especially on a Saturday night when we’re armed with a 2-liter bottle of Shasta and our all-Rush mix tape! :wink:

Tremble in fear at our three different kinds of ships!

ah yes… “No one ever wants to court a Warthog,
Though a Warthog does her best…”

And I remember seeing Koyaanisqatsi when it first came out, at an art theater in Denver.

My additions to the list:
Allegro non Troppo (OK, not exactly popular here, but at least known here…
Mike Keneally
Venus on the Half Shell

I didn’t recall ever hearing of Up the Creek, but then I saw this quote on its Wikipedia page:
“You happen to be the four worst students in the entire country. You are not at the bottom of the list, you are the bottom of the list!” - Dean Burch

Oh! That movie! Yeah, I think I caught part of it on late-night TV a year or two ago.

Weird Al, Red Dwarf,24,Prison Break

(There are some people who still don’t know what 24 is. It is getting very hard to explain to them. Then again, “Events occur in real time” seems to be long forgotten stipulation on that show.)

And while not strictly sticking to the OP, ** MST3K**. I think everyone has posted to that thread. (Well I havent, yet)

I’m confused by this thread, because so many of the things being mentioned are very mainstream and loved by zillions of people (Weird Al, Terry Pratchett, etc)

How popular overall is Jack Ketchum on the Dope? I was introduced to him here and have fallen so in love, that I’ve now purchased (and almost read) every book he’s ever written. But do to the lack of having never heard of him previously, the slim size of most all of his works and the lack of publicity upon new publications, I’m pretty sure that he stays relatively unknown. Except, of course, by those bidding (and losing – nyah, nyah, nyah!) against me on eBay.

I would guess that many people haven’t met a lot of of Weird Al or Terry Pratchett fans IRL so it would seem that they only exist at the Dope.

Pratchett was the best-selling author in the UK (before Harry Potter, natch!). Just because he wasn’t huge in the uS does not make him obscure.

Still, as I’ve said before , I’ve still never heard this band “Rush” people speak of. I’m convinced it’s the rest of the Board playing a joke on me.

I’d like to nominate Bruce Campbell. While some of the things he’s worked in are immensely popular, I don’t think his real world following is proportionately anywhere near as huge as his Cafe one.

Well, here I was, reading through this thread, lamenting that even on the fringe, my tastes are uniquely my own. And suddenly…

However, to be fair, I was introduced to them by someone not of this board, so it’s not exclusive to just us. Sadly, it was only after they had broken up. I’ve been to a couple of the reunion shows, and even went to a Mel Cooleys concert about 10 years ago.

Perhaps this is the time to discover if there are any other fans of some of my obscure faves. Speak up if you’ve heard of…

The Games
Murder Most Horrid
Thea Gilmore
Says You!
L.A. Story

It would seem to me that 95% of the people in the world who think* Futurama * is superior to *The Simpsons * are denizens of the Dope

mm

That would be true for most of my offerings.

Oh! I LOVE Hudson Hawk!

What?

I appreciate all the geeky-dweebdom that is the Dope whenever a Buckaroo Bonzai quote can be thrown into the mix.

Laugh while you can, Monkey Boy!

I don’t own any of her albums but I do have a few songs by her in my music library. I really like “Mainstream”.

With Blackjack, and Hookers! :smiley:

The great thing about the SDMB is that no matter how obscure the reference or the joke, at least one other person on the board will get it, understand it, and add to it.

FWIW, I’ve never met anyone else in RL who’d ever heard of Duckman, much less recall any episodes- yet there are several fans here on the boards. The same goes for Samurai Pizza Cats and anything by Ed Wood…

Loved Duckman, love Buckaroo Banzai. Thought L.A. Story was interesting. Possess personalized, autographed First Editions of Bruce Campbell’s books. I like Rush, but I still think that Geddy Lee’s vocals sound like someone nailed his scrotum to the stage and set fire to his pubes. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not my goddamn planet. Understand, monkey boy?

Wow! I used to love Pizza Cats but I haven’t even thought about it for a few years. I think I may still have a bunch of episodes on a CD somewhere. Need to go unearth those…

And Joe Lansdale. The Dope is the only place I’ve seen him and Ketchum mentioned, except for horror boards, of course.

I won’t read Ketchum. I’m a wuss. You’re very brave.