Positive Gun News of the Day

The time of day seems to be a factor. Must be terrifying to come home late at night and be confronted by this situation. The suspect is in the hospital and the victim hasn’t been by charged.

I worry what happens next. These teens probably live in the apartment complex. Hudgins may be targeted if she doesn’t move.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/04/texas-woman-who-shot-an-alleged-purse-snatcher-says-her-gun-saved-her-life/%3FoutputType=amp

Also from last month: an employee shoots and kills an armed robber at a MetroPCS in Philly:

Source

I hope the negative repercussions to the employee’s life are minimal.

What are rules of engagement for police officers? Do they shoot at suspects solely for being armed? What would an LEO have done if present? The brief GIF posted in that article does not really show everything that happened.

I see what you mean. In the GIF the suspect isn’t facing the employee or brandishing a gun so it’s difficult to see an imminent threat, but it’s quite a short clip and lacks the full context.

From Merced County, California, a man brandished a knife at a woman during a party; then threatened another man with the knife when the second man came to the woman’s defense. The second man then fatally shot the knife-wielding assailant in what local sheriff’s deputies are referring to as an act of self-defense.

From Orlando, Florida, two women forced their way into a home and began arguing with the residents, a man and a woman. One of the intruders threatened the male resident of the home with a knife; he reportedly attempted to retreat but was prevented from doing so. The female resident of the home fired a “warning shot” (often NOT considered a good idea for a variety of reasons) before opening fire on the two intruders, killing one and wounding the other.

According to the articles police are still investigating, but their initial conclusion is that the shootings were in self-defense.

There may be more to that story. There’s probably a reason the two women forced their way into the home. Maybe a drug deal? Or money owed?

I’m not sure if that changes the self defense claim. It probably doesn’t matter. Threatening someone with a knife does require action from the victims.

It’ll be interesting to see if anything else comes out.

Homeowner holds Captain America at gunpoint. :wink:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.localmemphis.com/news/local-in-ms/captain-america-arrested-in-clarksdale-ms-sort-of/amp/

Does anyone ever picture some of these gun owners paralyzed by indecision one day in a home-defense scenario, standing in front of their vast array of Berettas, Rugers, Kalashnikovs, Sig Sauers, Glocks, Smith&Wessons, Mossbergs, Remingtons and AR-15s, unable to decide which to select to stop the intruder that’s just broken into their house?

You do know that “Tremors” wasn’t a documentary, right?

I confess seeing a relative, who’d just jumped into the C&R hobby with both feet, and wondering, 'Why did you want an entire bedroom filled with mil-surp bolt action rifles?"

Why they make both chocolate and vanilla ice cream, I guess.

No.

From a couple of weeks ago in Youngstown, Ohio, as many as four people–at least two of whom were armed with firearms–were attempting to rob a store when the store’s owner opened fire in defense of his employees. The two armed robbers were both shot and injured and hospitalized; two other suspected accomplices were able to flee the scene. There were no other injuries reported in the incident.

This is from a couple of months ago, but is interesting in that a person used an AR-15 to defend himself from an attempted armed home invasion.

From Summerfield, Florida, four men (one nineteen-year-old, the other three in their twenties) forced their way into the mobile home of a 61-year-old man at around 8 p.m. on a weekday; at least two of the men were armed (with a handgun and a shotgun). The homeowner opened fire on the intruders with his AR-15 rifle; the homeowner was shot and injured, while two of the would-be robbers were killed and the other two were subsequently arrested. At least two of the would-be home-invasion robbers had previous criminal records. At the time of the article, police indicated that there were no charges pending against the homeowner and that there was nothing to legally prohibit him from owning firearms.

From early this morning, in Georgia, three teens, at 4:00 am, at least one of them armed with a gun, all shot by the homeowner.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/homeowner-shoots-kills-men-wearing-mask-deputies-say/986744589

Yeah, I’d say so.

Per other accounts, wearing masks, or at least one was, and they shot first. Oops. All killed by the homeowner, not just shot.

Rifles are qualitatively different than handguns, and the homeowner had a rifle.

My favorite line from the (poorly-written) article:

Yes, indeed he is.

CNN is running the story.
Tragic outcome for the would-be robbers. But that’s the risk they took in going to that home wearing masks and armed.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/09/17/us/georgia-teen-would-be-robbers-shot/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

From earlier this month in Coshocton County, Ohio, a 22-year-old man was threatening people with a knife at a McDonald’s restaurant. A 70-year-old man with a Kentucky concealed carry permit drew his handgun and was eventually able to persuade the aggressor to drop the knife. No shots were fired and no one was injured; the man with the knife has been charged with “attempted aggravated robbery”, a felony.

Sometimes it’s just hard to get respect these days. Homeowner confronts burglar and gets ignored. Dumb move. Glad the injury wasn’t serious.

The NRA has named Beto O’Rourke as its AR-15 Salesman of the Month.