Post-counts...how important are they?

I knew I could coax you out. Personally, I thought it was kinda funny. As a newbie, I wouldn’t have been so bold.

It’s almost a reflex to check out how many posts a certain person has. If I run across several posts from one person, and I think they have an interesting sense of humor or a particularly clever way of writing, I might look up other posts or threads started by that person just to read them. Sometimes I get a chuckle; sometimes I get an education.

I wonder what Real Life would be like if we all had numbers floating over our heads telling how many times in our life we’d Said Something.

If the count was dynamic, and reflected a negative every time you said something stoopid…

(glances up)

Man, I didn’t know numbers went that low!

You dukey bu…

Sorry. Welcome to the board. :slight_smile:

Could we also ban people? If so, I have a list…

so do I…and it would start with people who feel compelled to say things like, “Whoa! You look terrible! Are you sick?”

Let’s see, been a member for six years (although where my “charter member” status went, I’ll never know), and have a bit over 500 hundred posts. Do I win the award for the lowest posts to membership time ratio? Anyway, I just never pay attention to post counts at all, nor to join dates. Heck, to be really honest, I don’t look at posters’ names all that much, until I get into an actual exchange with someone. I’m more interested in the content than anything. I had a recent exchange with a poster with a multi-thousand post count that got me the closest I’ve ever come to putting someone on my ignore list. His post count didn’t make me respect his loony ideas any more than otherwise. So, to me anyway, post count is as important as your shoe size; it’s what you have to say that matters. But then, as an old-timer with a posting rate of less than one every four days, what do I know?

I have departed? Where do you get that idea from? :confused: Personally, as a guest, I was unable to see my post count, till I switched over from being a guest. I was as shocked as everyone to see how high my post count was.

Anyway, OPer, (Post removed, since I am damn well aware that the question has already been answered.)

:smack: Crap. And I don’t even know how to make strikethrough text. Just imagine that the word “hundred” isn’t really there…

Linky.

I’m nothing, if not a cynical optimist.

Glad to see the news of your death has been greatly exaggerated. :slight_smile:

Post counts are everything. I do not even read the posts of people who have fewer posts than I do and I would not think of replying to someone who was not at least 2,500 posts ahead of me.

Personally, I do not think that anyone should be allowed to post until their post count reaches 2,000.

I hadn’t laughed out loud all day until I read this. Thankya, tomndebb.

Pre-counts are just as important, if not more so, than post-counts. Think of pre-counts as foreplay and post-counts as cuddling.

Hee hee! Made me laugh, too.

I doubt it.

This concept is one that is explored in the novel Down and Out in the Mgaic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow. In it, the only currency is what others think of what you do and say (everyone is part of a sort of peer-to-peer network in which everyone observes and comments on everyone else.) Before speaking with you, people can check your current status. Its an entertaining little book.

er… sorry for the hijack.

Post counts are VERY important. Why, when I first started here, people thought I might be some kind of idiot. Now, thanks to all my posts, they’ve got all the evidence they will ever need.

Um, sorry to blow your whole comparison, there, Anaamika, but I have significantly less than 10,000 posts. In fact, I have about 1/5 the number of posts that you do.