Psych, 1/8/2014

For some reason, IMDb lists this as Season 8, Episode 3, although as far as I can tell it is the season premier. In any case, the title was “Lock, Stock, Some Smoking Barrels and Burton Guster’s Goblet of Fire,” and it was an obvious Guy Ritchie pastiche.

Anyone else watch? I thought it was great. Shawn and Gus travel to Merry Olde England to help Despereaux (who may or may not be an Interpol agent) break up a heinous heist. Minimal scenes from Santa Barbara, except for a very brief couple of Lassiter back at the ranch in a patrolman’s uniform.

And is it just me, or was the “Okay, three spotted dicks!” line a Blues Brothers reference?

I liked the “We might as well be in British Columbia” line.

QILF? I laughed.

Was the scene where Shawn was at the table the the other people in the gang a spoof on a movie? I was watching and thinking to myself, haven’t I seen this before and wondering if my DVR had caught an older show.

I loved when Shawn was driving for the test and running over everything he said “You hired me to drive, not miss things.”

Was hoping for a Rupert Grint cameo.

Cary Elwes is looking better than he has in a long while, he should be in more stuff.

One of the funniest episodes ever…

and here I thought it felt ‘forced’ and less funny than most - no mention of Juliette at all, Lassiter’s bit was funny, Despereaux still up to his old tricks - but him in the surveillance van was hilarious… I still don’t get what the whole thing was about - the crime being planned made no sense at all - other than a reason to have Gus in a wizard’s costume and Shawn to be goofy.
6.5 out of 10.

It was very funny I thought. I’d love for them to get back to using Shawn’s “skills” more, I feel they had a lot of oppurtunities here, especially using new charachters here, but they only did it maybe 2 or 3 times. I do appreciate that the Julliette/Shawn drama is toned down. I assume the Juliette absence is due to her filming her show (now cancelled) Back in the Game on ABC. If Psych gets renewed, she should be back for the next season full time.

Solid ep. Good to see Desperaux again and I enjoyed the “Is he really in Interpol or not?” plotline, as completely unbelievable though it may have been. Good take-off of Guy Ritchie style, including gun sound effects. Fairly solid use of humor around being in Britain. Happy to leave the Juliet angst behind.

I dunno. Maybe I’m over Psych because Shawn really annoyed me. Short attention span, I guess. Just finished the first season of Burn Notice and saw that I still have 99 more to go. I can’t imagine it holding my interest that long. Was that Olivia d’Abo? I also saw her on Elementary a while back. That’s another show I’m over. My cat’s breath smells like cat food.

Yes, that was Olivia d’Abo. Or was it Maryam d’Abo? I’ve heard it both ways.

No, you have not. Anyway, Maryam is older and skinnier.

I think that part of my problem with that episode is that most of the ensemble was missing. I prefer the other characters over Shawn, who is a jerk whose personal growth has been thrown out the window. The writing was sloppy–the back and forth to get Gus involved was endless and not the least bit clever, with them sounding like they were four. Then they did it again.

Next time they’ll be back in [del]British Columbia[/del] Santa Barbara and I can have more Henry, Chief, and Woody. Especially Woody. But Shawn needs to rein in the stupid, Gus needs to be less peripheral, and Back in the Game needs to be put out of its misery so we can have Juliet back full time, though that plotline grew stupid near the end. A more-adult Shawn could be made to work. He can still be madcap and impetuous and not turn into John Houseman, but he could be written better.

Already done.

Though it wasn’t a terrible show, so I don’t know that it’s so much misery as apathy that it’s being put out of.
I wonder if it’s considered 8.3 because of the musical. Maybe they consider that to be 8.1 and 8.2 (even if it was produced during s7)