Really odd food

I am related to the noted onmnivore and zoöphagist Frank Buckland.

From Wikipedia:

I am an extraordinarily consumer of weird food. Roast whole fieldmice? Check. Crayfish eggs? Check. Rock Hyrax? Check. That was a slightly drunken choice though. Dove eggs, fried? Check. Crocodile, Warthog, Sable, Wilderbeast, Lamb brains, raw quail eggs, Mopani worms… lots of Checks.

But here is something even I am a little squeamish to attempt: peacock neck sausage stuffed with peacock offal (recipe below)

What weird and wonderful things have the culinary dopers consumed?

Paging @Mangetout

The most adventuresome thing I’ve tried was in Japan: roasted or fried grasshoppers. Actually my friends and I consumed it regularly as it was the appetizer served at our favorite dive restaurant near our base.

Perhaps this next bit is a contender. You wouldn’t happen to remember this '80s Wendy’s commercial (youtube, 30"), would you? Well, it was very late 1980s. My ship had a port call in Hong Kong. I decided to go check out some of the truly local pubs and the place in which I found myself relaxing had chicken Chicken à la King on the menu. I ordered it. The dish was brought to me. And at that very moment, I completely understood what “parts is parts” truly means.

I am surprised that he didn’t find the panther tasty, I have eaten puma and immediately declared it the tastiest meat I had ever eaten.

It had been dead and buried, and he did have to travel from London to Surrey, which in those days took a while. It’s only around 35 km, but that is a full day on horseback. Plus the time for the news to get to the gentleman.

I imagine the cat in question was well into the rotting phase.

How did you serve your puma?

I’ve done full chickens, feet, neck, head and all.

I prefer the neatly dressed ones I find in the supermarket, to be honest.

It was served at a bar grand opening by a taxidermist. We all thought we were eating sweet and sour pork.

Nothing too weird, but I’ve had fried silkworm pupae (not bad, but I definitely didn’t need a whole heaping plateful of them) and balut (duck egg with embryo in it, very gristly, would not eat again).

Since Pumas are classified as ‘Near Threatened’ by the IUCN, I would serve it medium rare.

This… seems wise.

I’ve not eaten giraffe or elephant (yet) but there is a place in Johannesburg where you can get pretty much anything from Zebra to Lion.

I don’t eat much meat but I would go there. There are plenty of weird foods that do not involve killing animals. A bunch of edible seaweed. Some area-specific fruit (I love mangosteens). Baobab fruit. Marula fruit. Snot-apples (there is a charming name!). Prickly Pear fruit ( we even see these in supermarkets occasionally, it is a fruit of a cactus, covered with tiny spikes ). Mazhanje, which made me a bunch of money as my family had a large tree and I would sell them to my school mates

It is really one of the joys of travel to discover new foods, both carnivore or vegetarian.

I love you all. Thanks for the dinner invite.

I’ll be right there. I’m on a restricted diet. Do you mind if I bring my own meal? Yeah. Sorry. Really cannot eat that.:thinking:

I would remove the head before cooking, but otherwise, that looks pretty good. Now I’m wondering if i should try making duck neck sausage sometime.

Just for the pedants, I will spolier this obvious Monty Python link. But I think we all know where it is going.

That or this Monty Python skit (shipwreck):

Those were great.

Thx☺️