[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
I appreciate the apology. Sorry for going off on you.
[/QUOTE]
No problem. I’m just glad you recognize that I’m actually sincere here, not just trying for cheap shots.
[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
Most memorably, I made one sweet and lovely 19 year old
feel like a sexual freak because she was still a virgin. She went out, lost her virginity, came back to me, and I found an even lamer excuse to break up with her at that point, all because I couldn’t handle the responsibility of being in a stable relationship at that time in my life but couldn’t face that nasty fact.
[/QUOTE]
And I can almost guarantee (having been a 19 year old girl myself, and still being capable of serious insecurity) that she would have believed that had she been the right person, you would have been able to handle a stable relationship. In this case, you wouldn’t have said anything more helpful than “It’s not you, it’s me,” had you told the ‘truth.’ Question: did you realize at the time that your real reason was an inability to ‘handle the responsiblity?’ And, for that matter, if the absolute perfect woman had come along then, don’t you suspect that you would have been able? The fact is, when push comes to shove, any reason for a break-up short of “I have to return to the old country to support and care for my dying mother” boils down to “I don’t love you enough to want to stay with you.” And that’s always going to feel lousy to the dumpee, even if they weren’t all that happy in the relationship either.
[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
Cruelty sucks, meanness sucks, selfishness sucks–we’re all guilty of these impulses but we can be nicer if we set our minds to that goal. But if we blithely intone, “Ahh, shit happens, whaddya goin to do?” then shit will indeed happen.
[/QUOTE]
The thing of it is, no one here has been arguing that you should be callous, mean, cruel, selfish or indifferent. The argument has basically been about which approach is the kindest, not that the dumper should just blow the dumpee off out of laziness or pride. Or at least that’s what the rest of us have been arguing about, and opinions obviously vary. You seem to have the idea that those of us who disagree with you do so because that they don’t want to be bothered, and in most of our cases, that’s simply not true. We’ve taken the approach that seemed the kindest, the best for all. And in my experience as a dumpee, in fact is the kindest. Obviously, YMMV, but we all have to do as our experience suggests is best.