Reverend Mykeru, you are such a fucking tool

Mykeru, again I can’t help but be amused at your characterizations of your opponents (in as much as you’re actually fighting. CRorex’s feces-flinging monkeys do more damage than your posts). To say nothing of my other fellow dopers … the thought that I am now, or have ever been, a member of the Christian Coalition is almost as amusing as is the idea that you think we ought to be insulted by you saying I/we am/are. What next, are you going to accuse us of being conservative? Tell us you hope our tax cuts are small?

The point of an insult is that it’s … wait for it, now…

Supposed to be insulting.

You may want to keep this in mind for future pit threads.

Now then. I would, if I were you, Mykeru, be very careful just where and how I used the word “troll” or the phrase “sock puppet”. (Ab)Use of these terms directed at others (i.e. "You and munch look like/are trolls/sock puppets) is not looked upon terribly well by the moderation/administration of this board. And the last person who maintained that three (if I might, upstanding) screen names belonged to the same person … well, he was banned a long time ago, and IIRC there weren’t many tears shed.

“And, you know, I’m still not sorry Pat Robertson has a malignant gland. And that’s the trouble, isn’t it?”

That’s a manifestation of the disease you’ve brought to this board. Merely a thought. I would say I shudder to think of the others you have, but truth be told you’re just a sad little thing without hands or functioning eyes … else how could you not see you’re getting your ass handed to you in this thread and the other one?

“Do you mind if I think of you and Munch as two rather sad trolls or, more likely two sock puppets of the same poster?”

What I said before. Think what you want, but when you start saying “I think you’re a troll/sock puppet”, you’d better have a lot more going for you than two threads. It’s such an insignificant number of my posts that you might as well say you thought you maybe saw me at some point, or something. You might also want to examine writing styles, not to mention the fact that I’ve disagreed with Munch already IN THIS VERY THREAD!

“You two seem to spend a lot of time on “neener-neener” ad hominem about how stupid I am, what a bad debater, etc, but when it comes to substance, the only example of my supposed lack of rhetorical accumen had to be invented.”

Um, no. The threads in which you have (rather quickly and easily, which made things much easier for all those concerned) displayed your second-grade logic skills are here on this board for anyone to see. The only invention in question is whatever you’re using to turn the shit between your ears into words on a screen.

The circus will probably be calling you about that one, actually. On the internet, nobody knows you’re an elephant.

And now onto something actually worth devoting time:

“He is an outstanding debater, well-read, logical and intelligent and a very much beloved Doper.”

Well, now I know I can smile from ear to ear:D

“But don’t be callin’ 'Punha names – he’s one of my favorites on the Boards. (Betcha iampunha had no idea I have a crush on him!)”

Indeed I had absolutely none. Why didn’t you tell me before?

::is subtly handed a 3*5 index card with the definition of “crush” on it::

Oh. Er, evidently, that is … it seems that once you tell someone you have a crush on them, it isn’t a crush anymore, it’s something else. Makes no sense to me, but I’m getting props in the Pit. Ain’t no way I’m gonna disagree;)

[sub]I’d grope you, but that whole fiancée thing, y’know?;)[/sub]

What exactly does that have to do with? Because you won’t fucking shut up about it, will you?

Incidentally, I totally agree with you that allegations that you’re a sock puppet are totally baseless. People, the fact that a person is intelligent enough to figure out how to code doesn’t mean he’s been here before. I’ve visited plenty of forums that use vb or Bb coding and I’m using italics and quotes in my first post. Nobody at the baseball forums I visit sometimes has ever jumped my shit for knowing how to post. Granted, I never acted like as big a boob as RM has here, but come on. That’s really pretty low, in my opinion. It’s not like he’s not giving us enough material to work with as it is. That actually was pretty ignorant if you ask me, NurseCarmen.
Back on topic. You’re at it again, Reverend – hijacking this thread, which has an even more narrowly defined topic than the last one you did it to, to shit all over about what an asshole Pat Robertson is. Yes, we know. We know you don’t like him. We know he’s a scam artist. We know he’s not a good Christian. We know he causes untold pain and suffering by conning people into thinking he’ll cure them. We know he’s a hypocrite who won’t take his own medicine. We’ve seen the link to your site. We’ve seen the links to the books. We know you have no sympathy for him.

Nobody but you is arguing this point. You’re having a phantom argument with phantom posters and it looks like you’re trying to hide behind it because every time you’re challenged you resort to yanking it back out again.

Jumping in here and accusing anyone saying that a human being is deserving of sympathy regardless of his personal character is a kneejerking right-winger is just ludicrous. Asserting that iampunha is a Robertson supporter because he thinks that you are a moron is atrocious logic.

That is what we are doing here. We are telling you that you are a shitty debater and a shitty person. Based on the evidence shown today on this board, that is the only reasonable conclusion. That is what this thread is about. It’s not about whether or not Pat Robertson is a piece of shit. It’s about the fact that some people do believe in sympathy for humankind, for Robertson and for his family, and the fact that you can’t accept that as a valid point of view.

And at how many of them do you post frequently and currently? There are several posters we’ve had on this board who weren’t just on this board and they could say the same thing. They’re banned. Notice there’s no actual indication that you currently post anywhere other than here.

Then how about you prove you’re actually who you purport to be? I could register the screen name Asian Prince and pretend my favorite color is purple and that I’m very sexy and that wouldn’t make me the poster cild for the killing of 80s fashion;)

Reverend, I completely understand your position and you shedding no tears for Mr. Robertson. One reaps what one sows. Expecting everyone to display more compassion and mercy than the average Christian televangelist is probably a bit unrealistic - the ‘what goes around comes around’ response has a powerful attraction.

You seem to be an experience debater and I too post on other forums ~ nothing scary about that I hope. That said…

why did you have to mention Mother Theresa in conjunction with PR. :mad: I protest!

Having read this and the thread that spawned the R.M. pile-on, I have to admit I don’t quite get it.

Reverend Mykeru indeed spouts some hateful stuff about Pat Robertson’s cancer. Whatever…but the way you lot are carrying on it is as though RM implanted the growth in PR’s prostate himself. From my reading, it was the irony of the situation, that PR advocates the power of faith yet when he is confronted with his own medical crisis turns to conventional medicine, that really got up RM’s nose.

I am not all that familiar with the phenomenon of Pat Robertson (thank goodness) but Reverend Mykeru’s disgust at him does not seem misplaced. And while it is oh-so-noble for us to feel remorse when anyone becomes seriously ill, there are some people in this world I would certainly not be crying over. Indeed, I have wished pain and suffering on certain individuals, but alas, it has not come to pass as yet. I suspect that there are not too many people out there who can make honest claim that they have not done the same at some stage in their lives.

So, why single-out Rev. M for such a vitriolic hate-fest when you are all professing love and compassion for EVERYONE, regardless of their beliefs and actions? So what if he doesn’t like PR? So fucking what if he feels like dancing with joy? How many people would be crying with sorrow if O. BinLaden or Saddam Hussein were assassinated?

:confused:

kambuckta, if you have not, you might wish to read Spiff’s thread on Robertson’s cancer, as well as the one cited in the OP. IIRc Mykeru seems rather vengefully gleeful at the news of Robertson’s prostate cancer. “I’m only sorry he only has one prostate to get cancerous” etc. In the face of several personal testimonials from survivors of cancer as well as family members of those who have died from cancer and those who are currently going through it.

I think the issue has been not so much joy at seeing that Robertson has cancer but that he doesn’t give two shits how anyone else in the man’s life is affected. We all agree, I think, that Robertson is certainly not our pick for Christian of the decade, but that’s not necessarily any reason to inflict pain on those innocents he knows.

Folks, lay off the accusations of puppetry. You know you’re supposed email such concerns to the mods. Not that I’d be surprised if this thread wasn’t already being watched closely.

FWIW, I confess to feeling some sympathy towards Mykeru’s attitude of contempt for faith healing and its practitioners. Also, I’m embarassed to admit to a little schadenfreude when I heard the news of Robertson’s illness, but I also know that such feelings are ultimately useless and unhealthy. I wonder if Mykeru’s hatred of Robertson and his ilk may be more personal than he’s let on. This may explain the level of vitriol in his posts.

Shoot, I’ve already reported this thread to moderators myself, and I’m the OP!

No, kambuckta, RM’s disgust at Robertson is not misplaced. Again, I singled RM out for this “hate-fest” because he’ s a shitty debater and has shown himself to be a shitty person. He’s guilty of many of the same things he holds Robertson up to such contempt for. And because he refused to stop hijacking mhendo’s thread that I linked to in the OP.

And what iampunha said. He evinces a gleeful attitude at the prospect of innocent peoples’ suffering. This, in my opinion, is deserving of scorn, though not of suffering to other innocents. Here’s where RM and I part ways. Robertson causes pain and suffering to innocents, so RM hates and scorns him, wishing pain and suffering on him and his innocent kin; this behavior in RM I hate and scorn, but I decline to wish suffering on RM and his innocent kin.

Clear enough yet?

WL, I think that’s about the best empirical statement of what we have here.

I don’t recall seeing Reverend Mykeru actively ‘inflicting pain’ on anyone iampunha. He was expressing his satisfaction with PR having an illness, but I didn’t appreciate that he was extending that to include ‘innocents’. When anybody posts a…“All [insert collective noun of hated group] Must Die and I Hope They All Rot in Hell” threads in the Pit, are we then expected to add a clause that registers our sympathies for families and friends of [collective name of hated group]?

Shit, this is the Pit. Surely someone can be excused the usual niceties that might apply in real life? Now, if RM was writing a personal letter to Pat Robertson’s wife saying that he was absolutely ecstatic about the cancer news, it would CERTAINLY be time to turn the hounds on him. But I do not think he deserves the pitting and accusations of socking and trolling that he has recieved here.

I get the vitriol. I agree with the contempt for faith healers. I could do reams of paper worth on the irony of a guy who “heals” other people by faith alone and yet dials up the Mayo clinic the moment he finds out he has a tumour. You don’t want to know the level of invective I could sink to regarding anybody who had the gall to go on national television and declare that a large portion of the population of the U.S. was responsible for the outrage of 9/11 because their personal beliefs had offended God Himself.

When what’shisname was running around the continent shooting doctors who performed abortions, though, every single fundamentalist nutbar I heard took time out to say that it was wrong to do that and it was a tragedy that it happened and that they felt bad for the families of the BABY KILLING NAZI MONSTERS. None of them just kept on shouting that the victims deserved it.

I have about as much respect for RM as I do for Fred Phelps, based on his performance here today. They seem to use the same debating tactics, just going back to their central point and repeating it as if it was an answer to any question.

Yeah, Robertson’s a piece of slime mold that should be scraped off the shoe of any thinking person. Nobody’s arguing the point, at least not that I’ve noticed.

He’s still a human. He’s still a victim of a horrible disease. He’s still got a family that worries about him. I got a great chuckle out of it when I read the headline, but I’ve managed to move beyond that.

I think we misunderstand each other. I said “inflict pain” … and didn’t mean to put RM as the subject of the verb there. Change that to “have pain inflicted on them” and I think you get a better idea of what I mean. I don’t mean to accuse RM of inflicting any pain on Robertson or his ilk, but I also don’t think it appropriate to wish evil on a man when some of that evil is going to rub off on those who don’t deserve it.

Again, if you read the other two associated threads, especially those testimonials (most notably by Coldfire and Kriger), I think you’ll see where I’m coming from re: innocents.

My personal opinion is that anyone who seriously posts that deserves anything reasonable coming to them.

The pitting is because WL wanted to get the hijack out of the other thread. The accusations of trolling and sock puppetry were uncalled-for, I agree. That sort of thing really ought to go to a moderator, and I’m confident (given that WL posted such) that at least one of them is reviewing the threads in question to determine what, if any, action ought be taken against anyone.

You are right. Rev. Sorry to allude to such a thing.

I’ll stick right by my second post though.

Reverend Mykeru vs iampunha, and the rest of the free world

Hey! This place is way more entertaining than the drollery ya get at the Great Debates board.

Being a realitive newbie on line and assuming that the good Reverend is the enternet Godzilla, could some one explain the references, Sock Puppet and BV code, that is if ya could lay down the axes long enough to assuage my ignorance? …and please don’t hurt me

I have no idea why this posted to this thread…I posted it to the Pat Robertson thread, and it magically appeared here…Sorry

I’ll do my best, ranwashingt. First, to clear up a misleading bit:

This is the BBQ Pit. It’s a forum, not a board. GD is a forum as well. They are all fora (plural of a latin word forum, meaning room … like bedroom, living room, etc) on the SDMB (latter part is message board).

All the fora combine to be the SDMB … Straight Dope Message Board. It’s not a forum but a collection of fora.

Now then. A sock puppet is a registered screen name other than one’s primary one. For example, if I had a sock and was stupid enough to name it, for example ahnupmai. A sock puppet can be used for everything from posting the less-kind things to being a “mee too” to someone’s OP to stepping in as a “friend” or what-have-you in a thread where one’s principle SN is taking heat. It can also be used to flame someone if one doesn’t want one’s main SN to come under attack. You could even use it to flame that screen name back and in doing so gain brownie points, though it wouldn’t be much and that’s a pretty pathetic thing to do.

VB (you typed BV, but it’s the other way around) is the coding we use on this MB … [b****] to make something bold, [/b] to stop the bolding. same thing with [u****] and [/u] and [i****] and [/i****]. To make something an URL, it’s as easy as doing this:

[ur****]l=“http://www.thiswebsite.com”]a link[****/url]. The Straight Dope

As for Mykeru being the internet godzilla … hell, he’s not even the worst we’ve seen here in the past 6-12 months, let alone the worst the internet’s ever seen.

**ranwashingt **

It’s all a conspiracy. That’s how I explain the very very long post that I wrote to this thread that disappeared down the memory hole when this cheap-ass forum was responding so slowly that the browser timed out.

Incidentally:

vB code and Ubb code: The code to do things like bold, italic and quote in the forum. Similar to HTML it adds attributes to plain old boring ASCII.

Sockpuppet: A poster posting under multiple names. Usually in order to agree with himself. Think of Mr. Garrison with Mr. Hat from South Park. It’s like that.

** iampunha**

It’s just your limited experience.

Good point. If you and the owner of that website are the same person, why bother hiding your email address here?

Jeff Olsen

Rolls Eyes

I have never seen this many people on one forum that need lithium.

Maybe, just maybe it’s because I don’t want people sending me email from this forum. Other forums I do. They are special. If anyone has anything to say to me here there is always PM. If I get e-mail I prefer that is be related to my site or from someone that has standing with me. No one here rates yet.

But, ok, fuck-nuggets. I tell you what. You go to www.mykeru.com, click the fucking e-mail link there (it’s mykeru@yahoo.com) and send an email there. Then I will post whatever you send right here.

Then I will take what you send me and do a piece on my site, with you as the guest of honor, explaining how Marlin Perkins and Bob should helicopter over this fucking forum with an air dart and give a whole bunch of you your anti-psychic medication before the paranoia really grips you.

Will that convince you? Nah, probably not. It’s a conspiracy of the little fat men and robots are stealing your luggage. Back and to the left. Back and to the left, back and to the left.

Please continue channeling the ghost of Jim Garrison.