RIP Jan Hooks

I thought she was hawt as French Stewart’s girlfriend on 3rd Rock.

Au revoir, Miss Dubcek.

I liked her as Jenna Maroneys Trailer Trash mom.

I was thinking of that one too. I remember how she kept reminding the judges “Now, ah worked one thousand man-hours on mah performance!” Melanie Griffith won the contest and offered to give Hooks the prize, but the judges wouldn’t allow it. I don’t recall Jackson contributing much to the sketch, but that was years ago.

What I liked about Hooks was that she was from Georgia and could parody southerners the right way. Even when she played Jenna Maroney’s white trash mama on 30 Rock. She was a despicable leech, but a *lovable *despicable leech.

Man, I’m depressed.

She was one of the good ones. Here’s Jan & Phil Hartman in Love is a Dream. (Facebook link. Couldn’t find it anywhere else).

My first thought was “Vicki Dubcheck is gone.” The scene 15 minutes into this episode of Third Rock from the Sun is one of the funniest things I have ever seen

One of the reasons I love to hate on Marsha Blackburn is because she reminds me of a Jan Hooks caricature.
But yeah, she was part of the golden era on SNL in my opinion.

Sad to hear. She was really versatile as a comedienne. I recall her having to play multiple roles in their Twin Peaks parody (made fun of by lamp shading in-sketch. She and Phil Hartman were perfect ‘everyman/woman’ when they needed to be but could ramp up to specialized characters when they needed to (Sweeney sisters, Troy Maclure voice).

IIRC they were both Canadian and did a mocking song sketch after a the Blue Jays won the World Series.

Jan Hooks was the closest thing ***SNL ***ever had to a female Dan Aykroyd or Phil Hartman. She was their most versatile female performer ever.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I think her years on*** SNL ***were the most consistently strong years the show ever had.

Looking at her IMDB entry, it doesn’t seem she has done much acting since about 2001, which leads me to think maybe her illness was a long term problem.

I remember her most from the SNL skit where she played Hilary Clinton to Phil Hartman’s Bill Clinton as a couple having a domestic dispute on Cops

“A little club soda will get that out.”

LIAR!!

Couldn’t find it anywhere else?
Not even in post#19 of this Thread?
:wink: (I’m actually glad I wasn’t the only one to think of it. It’s beautiful.)

Well, the Sliver era. The Golden era would be the time with Radner, Newman, Curtain, Ackroyd, Belushi, Morris, etc.

It’s not listed under Melanie Griffith’s IMDb credits, but other references say that season 14, ep. 9 was the ep. or SNL she hosted. That doesn’t sound right, because that would be 1989, but IMDb says Hooks was on from '86-'94, and Griffith did Something Wildin 1986, so '89 would be when she was at the height of her popularity.

I can’t find the show. Hulu had it, but took it down. Amazon doesn’t seem to have it, and youtube doesn’t have the “Miss Self-Esteen” skit up.

I expect there will be a Best of Jan Hooks on E!, Comedy Central, of NBC pretty soon, though.

Stop with your witchcraft that alters message boards :smack:

:confused: ???

As mentioned above and on IMDB, Jan Hooks was born in Georgia.

Definitely the second best SNL skit ever, after the Chris Farley-Patrick Swayze Chippendale one.

I remember that sketch. Griffith’s character won only because she showed up in a bathing suit and Hooks kept coming back reminding everybody of the rules and the extra effort she put in. Funny stuff.

In my opinion, Hooks was the most underrated member of SNL. If there was any justice in the world, she should have gone on to a bigger post-SNL career than she did.

Also, if I may further inject my subjective opinion and be completely superficial, Hooks was one of the top five most attractive regular female cast members on SNL. I had a bit of a crush on her.

And, I’m also depressed. She wasn’t that much older than me.

Saturday Night Live’s website still shows no evidence that they ever even knew who Jan Hooks was.

Nailed it. They just used this scene as a tribute to Jan on tonight’s show.

they did an ‘in memory of’ in today’s credits.