RIP Richard Moll

Best known as Bull from Night Court, Richard Moll passed away Thursday at the age of 80. As an aside, it’s strange to realize how many cast members we’ve lost over the years from Night Court whereas of the Cheers ensemble we’ve only lost Kirstie Alley.

That leaves only 2 of the core cast. John Larroquette and Marsha Warfield.

Richard Moll didn’t seem to enjoy his legacy as Bull. But he was so good in the role. Goodbye Nostradamus.

By some accounts he could be a rather difficult man at times. But he always seemed to give it his all, not just in Night Court but also in smaller roles like House. RIP.

And Coach.

I had been thinking of cast members who passed since those shows ended production, but Night Court likewise had two actresses who played bailiffs die in short succession before Marsha Warfield (Roz) joined the cast.

Selma, played by the legendary Selma Diamond and Florence played by Florence Halop.

Selma was one of the two writers on the Show of Shows that were the inspiration for Sally Rogers of the Dick Van Dyke Show.

I’m surprised Moll lived so long. Lurch (Ted Cassidy) on The Adams Family died at 46. Shortened life spans are not unusual for the giants.

Moll was very good as the imposing bailiff.

RIP

Hard to believe Ted Cassidy was only an inch taller than Moll. 6’9" vs. 6’8".

I’m pretty sure Cassidy died from complications with a tumor and not a height related medical issue. He was in his 40s.

I don’t think 6’8" qualifies as giant.

I always felt bad that Moll’s character had a shaved head. I remember seeing him with hair off season and he didn’t look scary.

But, I suspect a long-term role, in a hit show made it worthwhile for Moll to go bald.

Curly in the 3 Stooges made the same decision. Lose the hair and cash the checks. :wink:

Weirdly, that was almost an accident. He was apparently doing a small role in a movie with a buzz cut. So in the first episode he’s not shaved, but just very short.

They decided they really liked the look and decided to go with bald.

ETA, story in here instead of trusting my memory.

“No, no. Not a cow. BULL!”

:rofl:

In an interview on ET, Moll was talking about his being cast as Bull:

“They asked me if I was willing to shave my head for the part. I said ‘Are you kidding? I’d shave my legs to get the part!’”

I love Night Court, and am really sad to hear he’s passed away.

RIP, Richard!

Just the other night I was watching an old Night Court and thinking how odd it was that John Astin outlived Harry Anderson and Markie Post.

In the death pool thread, I said that Selma would be glad to see Bull. I don’t actually believe in an afterlife but it’s a nice thought anyway. Thanks for the laughs, Mr. Moll!

Ellen Foley is still alive. My hubby keeps calling her “the Meatloaf girl”.

The first year clerk is still alive also. {Karen Austin}

Many of the irregulars also like Data from Next Gen.

Paula Kelly passed in 2020, she was only in 12 episodes of season 1 though. The first Public Defender on their way to getting Markie Post.

I was greatly surprised to learn that Bob Wheeler had an acting career.
:wink:

I always liked that old hunchback.

John Larroquette once described Moll as “Three of the five cheapest men I know.” He then told a tale about how they once filmed a scene in which Bull had to borrow a dime to use as a improvised screwdriver. The did a bunch of takes and after each take the dime disappeared into Molls pocket.

ETA: And Moll had my favorite line ever from Night Court: “I get it now! ‘Our Father who’s Art in heaven!’”

Oh, you’re making that up! :angry:

My favorite line from Night Court is also from Bull, when Dan asks him why he carries all his money around instead of putting it in a bank. “People rob banks, Dan.”

John Astin is still alive too, believe it or not.