Rock songs with chants in them

I thought this thread was gonna be about Sisters of Mercy and Fields of the Nephilim songs, three of which that I know of start off with Gregorian Chants. (And of course, Sadeness by Enigma, but that isn’t really rock.)

[semihijack]That just brought to mind Time by Pink Floyd, which has chant-like singing in the background, especially toward the end, most noticably in the instrumental right before the last verse (of the time section, that is. There’s another verse technically part of home but considered the same song by most.)

Does anyone else have the Worlds Apart CD by … and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, that has a track that sounds almost exactly like the chants in Time (the one that goes “all those hours of wasted time have never crossed my mind, here i am, comfortable.”) Whenever I hear the instrumental that has those chants in it I want to start singing “And you run and you try to catch up with the sun but it’s sinking…”

I’m “glad” I could oblige. you bastard :stuck_out_tongue:

I just am glad that the mention of Mickey didn’t provoke the mention of … well … you know.

“The Boxer” by Simon and Garfunkel: ni nani ni na nini ni nani ni nani ni na ni ni nini ni nananana ni (IIRC)

“Gaudete” by Steeleye Span is a carol, but it sounds like a chant. Maybe it’s the Latin.

Also, “The Lord Is In This Place, How Dreadful Is This Place” by Fairport Convention. It’s kind of a blend of a Gregorian chant and a spiritual.

The “do-wop-diddy, wop-diddy, wop-doo” over the “go, go, go, team, go” cheerleader chant in '65 Love Affair by Paul Davis.

I entered this thread to mention this obvious, great choice - and the song that inspired the Ramones to come up with their own chant song - The Bay City Rollers’ Saturday Night -
S
A
T-U-R
D-A-Y - NIGHT!

Tool - Disgustipated “This - is - necessary”

Metallica - Creeping Death “DIE DIE DIE by my hand, I creep across the land, killing firstborn man DIE DIE DIE” etc.

System of a Down - BYOB “Why don’t presidents fight the war?
Why do they always send the poor?
Why don’t presidents fight the war?
Why do they always send the poor? [X3]
Why, do, they always send the poor [X3]
They only send the poor [x2]”

Actually, come to think of it, SOAD has many songs that employ excessive repetition…

My first thought was this earworm from Argent…

Hold your head up
Hold your head up
Hold your head up
Hold your head high

Repeat ad infinitum

Not Fade Away…

Love is real , not fade away…not fade away…

Especially when done by the Grateful Dead as a second set closer or encore…

Sha na na na, sha na na na na.
Sha na na na, sha na na na na.
Dip dip dip dip huh huh huh
Sha na na na, sha na na na na na na
Get a job. Sha na na na na na na na na

Sinead O’Connor- I Want Your (Hands on Me) “Put 'em on, put 'em on, put 'em on me…”

Black Eyed Peas Hands Up: “Get 'em up, get 'em up, get 'em up, get 'em up, get 'em up, get 'em up.”

Pearl Jam’s Aye davanita off Vitalogy.

Even worse. You put Weird Al’s “Ricky” in my head.

Here’s a chant from Bon Jovi:

Lay your hands on me
Lay your hands on me
Lay your hands on me

Lay your hands on me
Lay your hands on me
Lay your hands on me

There are several of them in various Savatage songs, including “Morphine Child” and the end of “The Wake of Magellan” (there’s also one on the Dead Winter Dead album, and one on the Trans-Siberian orchestra album “Beethoven’s Last Night”). The cool thing about them is that they’re actually several chants interleaved with each other, coming in and out, and eventually building to a climax where as many of five different chants are being sung at the same time, perfectly complementing each other. Very cool effect.

I think the artist is Manfred Mann’s Earth Band

“Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do”