Sappy songs you are unapologetic about loving

For my whole life I have been a painful romantic. Honest to God, it drove my wife crazy, even if I was full of romantic feelings toward her.

Today I caught the end credits to That Seventies Show and the gang was singing along to this fave:

So, what’s one of your favorites that can prompt a Facebook search, a discreet sniff, or a new conversation topic. It can be patriotic, too. Just some song that produces an emotional response.

You may regret starting this thread but here it goes. Starland Vocal Band. Pure 70s hippie love overload.

On a more serious note.

REO Speedwagon.

:musical_note: It’s time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars forever :musical_note:

:sob:

To me, there’s a difference between songs that provoke an emotional response, romantic songs, and sappy songs. (Sometimes there’s an overlap - but those are three distinct categories). So, going with the thread title rather than the OP:

Sappy songs:

“Love Story” by Taylor Swift, it is childish and sappy and has some other sins. And I do not care. I love that song.

It’s all coming back to me now. (“There were moments of gold and there were flashes of light”)

One Tin Soldier, by Coven.
Manipulative as hell but I can’t sing it out loud without getting all choked up.

This is one that always catches me.

I also love this song.

Bless The Beasts And The Children-Karen Carpenter:

The first ten songs on my list are the Carpenters, so I’ll go with one I’m sure I’m not alone on:

Wildfire

There, I said it.

I don’t know the name. I think it’s by Shlock Rock (A Jewish band). Roughly, a man is the chazen (The lead singer/cantor of the temple). His father is very proud, but was born deaf. On Kol Nidre (the night before Yom Kippur- the Day Of Atonement) it’s almost time to start services and the man is late. He arrives just in time, explains he had some things to do and begins services. He is usually very good. But, that night he is breathtakingly spectacular. When services are over, the rabbi asked what made the difference. The chazen says “You know my dad was deaf- and last night he passed away. It’s the first time that my father’s heard me pray.”

I hate, loathe and despise most glurge. But that song really touches me.

I’ll second your Wildfire, and raise

Ride 'Em Cowboy by Paul Davis.

I was digitizing it from the vinyl, and one of my friends mocked me. I said “I didn’t record it FOR YOU!”

^ Yes! Another good cowboy song.

“I’ll Get By (As Long as I HaveYou)

Actually written in 1928, although it seems like it was made for all the people who’s fortunes were wiped out the year after.

More I Cannot Wish You from Guys and Dolls. I thought it was extremely sappy when I was a kid, and wasn’t surprised it was cut from the movie. As time went on, I realized how beautiful the song and the sentiment was. Others have noticed it, too.

Gawd, the harmonies in that one always give me chills.

There was that song “Last Game of the Season (Blind Man in the Bleachers).” Father is blind, kid keeps trying to get in the football game. He doesn’t come to the last game, turns out he died. “It’s the first time my father’s seen me play.”

Lyrics:"THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON (A BLIND MAN IN THE BLEACHERS)" LYRICS by DAVID GEDDES: He's just the blind...

I cannot listen right now (I’m playing Dungeons & Dragons on Discord with my pals). But, I did another search and found the song. It’s entitled Deaf Man In The Shteeble. IIRC A Shteeble is a house that’s also used as a synagogue. I shouldn’t be surprised. Shlock Rock did many covers/swipes.

That reminds me: Streets of Laredo.

Surprised that we’re not seeing more country music. From that genre, I’ll offer the following:

“Love, Me,” by Collin Raye
“He Would Be Sixteen,” by Michelle Wright
“Where’ve You Been,” by Kathy Mattea
“Travelin’ Soldier,” by the Dixie Chicks
“Live Like You Were Dyin’,” by Tim McGraw
“Don’t Miss Your Life,” by Phil Vassar

There are others, but those will do for a start.