SDMB Christmas Exchange 2020 (Super Blitz Edition)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I inquired as to whether this was happening this year and was told it wasn’t. I can’t let that happen! So I’m taking it upon myself to run the exchange this year. Unfortunately it’s late in the year so we’re going to have to do this fast.

The deadline to sign up for this exchange is December 10

I know, I know…it’s only two weeks. But if we’re going to make the Christmas deadline this is how it’s gotta be, and even that is probably pushing it with post office craziness. We can go later if the crowd is ok with it.

Ok, so here’s what you gotta do:

1. Put a message in here saying you’re in. In your message put a little bit about the things you like so that we know what to get you. I’ve done enough of these things to realize that the “$20 limit” is BS…we’re all just too nice. Hey, it’s 2020, just give what you can and we’re all going to be happy with whatever we get.

2. Send an email to “sdmbchristmasblitz@gmail.com”. In the email please put your user name, real name, address, and whether you can ship internationally.

3. Send me a PM that also says “I’m in!”. In your message please put your user name and real name. I don’t need address on this one because I’m just going to use it as a checks and balances for the email (in case something goes awry).

Alrighty, that’s it! Good luck to all and let’s have us some fun this year.

Can I get some more detail about this? What it’s meant for, how it works, what’s its history, any lore?

I might be interested in joining

I mean, I imagine if I’m shipping stuff, it’s mostly going to be through Amazon. Is that an acceptable manner in which to participate? Does that fit the spirit of the activity?

@Ascenray it’s a Secret Santa gift swap. We do one every year here.
This was last year, there is a thread for each holiday going back years.

@Sir_T-Cups thank you so much for taking this on! I’ll send your email and P.M. in the morning.

Same for me-details tomorrow. I’m excited-quite likely to be the only gift I get and the little girl inside me still loves surprises.

Email and P.M. sent!

I love cool colors (green, blue, and of course purple) and dark chocolate. Any edible treats are welcome - I haz no allergies.

I have an assortment of pets & love all flora and fauna. Anything nature themed is wonderful. Stuff local to your corner of the globe is always fun.

I’m tall but wear a size Small. Nothing religious themed, please. Silver/white metal is highly preferred over gold/yellow metal.

… I can’t think of anything else offhand.

As has been stated, this is a thing that’s been happening for as long as I’ve been on the Dope. Just sending a thing on Amazon is a bit out of the spirit of the exchange and it’d be a bit hard to do anyway because no one really says “I want this specific thing”.

If the exchange seems a bit off to you, feel free to follow along and see how it works and you can join next year!

Yeah, I’d like to participate, but I want to get a better idea of the culture of the event.

Great!

The exchange is basically this. Say what you like here, keep an eye out on your email for who you get, read what THEY like, then find some stuff you’d like to give them. Local things are always a big hit (shot glasses, books, pens) and it’s also a great way to offload random junk you’ve gotten

Search “Secret Santa” for past threads.

You get matched up with someone, and you send 'em stuff. Then, someone (else usually) sends you a package of gifts.

The great fun, really, is coming back to the thread, seeing what everyone else got, and gushing over your own surprises.

That’s probably the only “rule.” You have to come back and thank your sender nicely, and nearly everyone gives an itemized rundown of the stuff they got (“milk chocolate covered termites! Gosh, thanks!”) so we can all “see” each other’s gifts.

Yes! I’m in!

I’m in, please.

My preferences:
Comestibles are preferred, such as chocolates, caramels, salsas. Brittle of any sort makes me a happy camper. The only sweets thing I cannot have is honey.
I love receiving local things- my Christmas tree has ornaments received from Dopers in previous exchanges. A nice coffee mug would be lovely, supporting my late in life addiction.
I have a “thing” for dragonflies, cats and nature (I’m the weirdo with multiple bird feeders, bat houses, and critter stations in my neighborhood).

I’m in also.

I like cool colors such as British blue, purple and since I’m a Cornhusker, red. Love coffee, chocolate (dark), fudge, cookies (crisp), candy except licorice or marshmallow, distinctive teas, mugs with smart ass humor, Snoopy and Peanuts (a throwback to my innocent youth, so sue me), the Far Side, books, books, books (mysteries + the Outlander series), NCIS on Netflix, my aforementioned Cornhusker football, CATS, CATS, CATS. Love handmade things. I collect vintage blue mason jars and old fountain pens. Oddly enough I seem to need a lot of chapstick-like things like Carmex (thank you Texas!!), but not actual chapstick brand. I enjoy things I can look at or hold and remember the people they came from, I think that is a roundabout way of saying I’m sentimental and soft-hearted. Love anything related to mothers and babies. I really, really enjoy fun socks. Love earmuffs, never have enough pairs, can’t stand hats or scarves-must be a character flaw, but there it is. I enjoy tastes of new things like nips of rum, liquors, etc. if you like it, there is a good chance I’ll enjoy trying it.

Allergies: only to msg and nitrates, so need to avoid cured meats. I have had several traumatic brain injuries so puzzles and sudoku are out. Don’t have a TV so don’t watch DVDs, etc. I’m a confirmed atheist and a die hard liberal. I am hard to piss off and easy to please. A people person.

I enjoy going places just because I’ve never been there before. Local, regional, community, church circle cook books I enjoy reading and ‘traveling’ with. Baking is my forte. After my granddaughter, I think SDMB is among the best things that have happened to me for many a year. I am reasonably literate in ipad and iPhone (for a 70 year old) but fairly hopeless in Microsoft/Android. I don’t play video games because of vision issues and the brain injury thing-not compatible.

Oops Chocolate, coffee from your local roasters, local delicacies, or anything home made that reflects you or something you enjoy. Christmas ornaments or useful kitchen things. It’s all good!

I’m in! I can’t believe I almost forgot about it…so 2020 of me.

I’d love items local to your area, especially handmade. I’m into knitting, pit bulls, tea, coffee, Nightmare Before Christmas, Die Hard and gardening. Favorite colors are deep jewel tones. If you send treats, nothing with mushrooms or coconut, please.

I’m in.
I like coffees, shot glasses, strange beers, the song stylings of Nick Rivers(I love me some skeet surfing!), Tullamore D.E.W., and walks along the beach with rabid ocelots.

Oh, good call! This applies to me as well, please, Santa.

Well, you’re easy to shop for!

Alrighty everyone, weekend one is in the books and here’s the updated standings.

Myself
purplehorseshoe
Swampspruce
MissTake
BippityBoppityBoo
Rhiannon8404

Hey @Acsenray you lookin to play? It’s fun I promise! Heyyyy @Czarcasm I don’t see an email from you yet so I won’t count you in just yet.

Be sure and tell your friends to join!

I’m in, and will send email and PM.

Email sent.