SDMB main banner is messed up

It changed sometime earlier this afternoon. The search icon, hamburger menu, and personal icon that used to be on the right are now in the middle, “The Straight Dope” label is oddly misaligned, and the “Fighting Ignorance …” motto now takes up the whole right side of the banner. This is in desktop mode on both my desktop and tablet; I don’t know what it looks like in mobile mode.

It looks that way both on the top-level forum page and within any forum. The banner is normal within any topic.

Normal looking in Chrome on Win 11 using Discourse Classic Theme.
Please let us know Browser, Operating System and Theme.

To check theme or change it:

• Click on your Avatar next to the Menu. (Upper Right Corner)
  • Select Preferences (The last symbol on the right)
  • Select Preferences again (The gear symbol)
  • Click on Interface. (Should be the last choice.)

It is equally jammed up on my work laptop, my personal laptop and my iPad.

Sorry, should have included that info. Theme is Straight Dope Light, browsers are Firefox for Android on the tablet, Firefox for Windows (Win 7) and Microsoft Edge – messed up on all of them. This screen shot is from Firefox. “The Straight Dope” label looks slightly different in Edge but otherwise the banner is identically messed up. It just happened earlier this afternoon.

But it isn’t in the upper right corner!

I’m seeing the same thing as @wolfpup, using Straight Dope Light theme in Chrome.

Same ‘mesed up’ view here.

Same, here.

Just as a data point, I don’t have that issue with Chrome on Win 11 and Chrome on my Android phone, both set to Vincent theme. Could it be a problem with the themes?

It is messed up (not that it is a problem, just different) with me as well, but only on the start page. In thread, like right now, it looks as always.
Windows 11 and Firefox, in case it matters.

It’s certainly not a huge problem, but I reported it because obviously something has changed – whether in the SDMB code or the underlying Discourse functionality – and at least in certain browsers and commonly used themes the result of the change looks pretty crappy and I’m sure is not what was intended.

More data will help the coders when they see this.
So far it looks like a Straight Dope Light issue maybe.

Could someone having the problem switch to Discourse Classic Theme and report if the problem remains or goes away?

Just for the record, I have zero issues on Dark, Chrome, Windows 11, but DID have the issues on Android, Chrome, default interface (not signed in) and an android fork (Silk browser for Kindle Fire).

It went back to normal when I switched the theme from Light to Dark.

OK, I temporarily switched to Discourse Classic. I have the disadvantage of not knowing what it’s supposed to look like, but it does look reasonably OK, with the search icon, hamburger menu, and personal icon over on the right where I would expect them. So yes, looks like a theme problem, though it may affect other themes besides just Straight Dope Light. The fact that it just happened this afternoon likely correlates it with a Discourse update which should be a major clue for the coders.

For me, it works fine on mobile, where the stuff in red automatically removed. And it works fine when it scrolls down.

But, using the Straight Dope Light theme on Chrome on Windows 10 has the red “Fighting Ignorance since 1972” and “It’s taking longe rthan we thought” in the wrong place, and displays an extra “The Staright Dope” text beside the banner.

This occurs on the front page, and it occurs if I scroll up to the top of any Topic page.

I also note that Discourse has been acting poorly for me before this, so I hope whatever update this is fixed it. (I would scroll in longer threads, and it would not consistently load new content, and then would jump every time it did finish loading new content. Before recently, Discourse automatically preloaded as I scroll, unless I scrolled really fast, and it never jumped when adding new content.)

Anyone remember exactly what it looked like before? I seem to remember the banner usually just not having those red bits on desktop, showing up only as I zoomed out. And then the red banner was below the SDMB banner.

But I could misremember. I rarely see the full banner. I’m usually seeing the short SD banner.

Also, I note I see it on Straight Dope Dark as well.

I’ve let Ed know via email as he is the point of contact to the Discourse team. So hopefully this will come to their attention either via seeing the thread or Ed letting them know.

I first noticed the change browsing on my tablet. I was hoping to capture a cached version of the old banner when I came to my desktop and post a “before” and “after” picture, but alas, I didn’t have the SDMB open when the computer went to sleep and when I navigated to it I got the corrupted banner.

I’m hoping someone has an old screenshot. I don’t seem to find one of new SDMB, just the old one. And archive.org shows the HTML-only version of the page, which seems to not show the banner at all.

Agree with the OP’s description. Win10 & MS Edge browser. Started some time this afternoon, 4/19/2024.