SDMB Photo Assignment 3: Photos Due March 1!

Yeah, I’m thinking we should probably have some rules for these. Being a ‘photo assignment’ I know I should get off my ass and actually take some photos for it, but man, that takes effort, and I’ve got a very demanding 3-year-old asking me why she keeps asking me ‘why?’. It’s hard to make the effort, unless those are the actual rules.

Perhaps we can have a going over of the rules. I propose…
1: Photos must be taken expressly for the assignment.
2: Don’t feel obliged to submit for all categories
3: Try to comment on other people’s photos. That what we’re here for, to an extent, right?
4: No digital manipulation beyond colour-cast removal, levels, etc.
5: …?

Now, If every one is going out to take photos expressly for this, we risk it plummeting from view. You think we can ask the mods for some leeway in bumping them to keep it alive?

My feeling is that photos can be digitally manipulated as long as they maintain the integrity of the original… I give it the same thought I do to filters and such.

I disagree with number 1. If I have a picture I have taken that I think fits the bill I want to use it. Why does it matter that it was taken last summer by me then yesterday by me. It was still taken by me and even contests with prizes dont have a rule like that.

#4 I have already commented on… I dont have a problem with digital manipulation as long ast the integrity of the photo remains the same.

WHAMmo

Well now, that’s not very sporting of you considering it is obvious most of the pictures in these two threads were not taken for the thread. Why this rule, I wonder?

Purple

Wake Up!

Choice

Same subjects, different shots.

Feathers, Feline and Cheerios

FF&C Part Deux

ok, let me try and explain the reason for my rule #1. I have a lot of photos. I’ve been shooting since I was 12, but the last few years have been spent largely doing technical photography, not much artistry. I fell I have lost it, to a certain extent.

I can probably pull something from my collection for most categories, but that does nothing to advance me as a photographer. The value of the challenge is to be given an assignment, and to use it as a catalyst to see something old in a new way. Without this, it’s just an opportunity to show off.

It’s a whole different ball game then.

I see you live next door to the grapist!.

I love the perspective on this one. The integrity of the focal point is almost hypnotic. Seems like a good candidate for going black and white.

AFG, I assume you’re trying to hit all the categories in one shot? Good job.

Then go for it, I say!

Me, I’ve had my camera for less than a year so I don’t have that many pictures. And what’s wrong with showing off?

I’ll play this time.

Purple

Words

Within five minutes of waking (doesn’t exactly look like that in the winter, though)

My choice

Oh, I love rubber duck races!

Great pics; I’m going to take mine over the next week, I think. Will give me something to do.

Cool! Why were the duckies in the water? It must have been rubber duckie mating season.

It was one of those “rubber duck regatta” things. But maybe a few baby rubber duckies were conceived in the process.

the colour purple - wine is a shade of purple, isn’t it?

words - Sunday morning words

something you see within five minutes of waking up - I’m watching my weight

photographer’s choice - No. 41 is my nephew

Very cool! I especially like how the colours at the top, of the red building and the blue fire escape, remind me of Spider-Man.

Do you have a close-up shot of the smaller vertical store sign?

Nope. But I can go get one.

Moe Szyslak, I like your ‘words’ picture – nice!

Here are mine, although I didn’t take them specifically for this assignment… but I have been waiting for the perfect moment (like this!) to use them – does that still count as showing off? :wink:
purple

words

waking

choice

Was that the Ducktona 500 in scenic Ripon, WI? Cool pic!

No, it was something on Memorial Day weekend in Dayton, Ohio. I don’t know that it’s even a regular event.

metonymic, what place is that in your choice picture? I always like aerial views and am curious about it.

Looking at that picture closely, I’m becoming convinced that the strings of duckies are trying to spell out a message…