SDMB Poker Q1 2011: That's jacked and other whining

Here is the thread telling about our poker club on PokerStars.

Couldn’t you have stopped at 72 ? :confused:

I mean, That’s great that you got first, but, didn’t you need to be first in the NEXT game?

Wow, the game went for two more hours after I signed off, where there were about 150 players left and Yeti 9th in chips.

Good job, but I’m glad I didn’t rail you all the way.

The only thing this tells me is that I have no business starting to play a 9000 player tournament at 11 pm central time.

Fck this.

I swear people in thouse tourneys cheat.

Someone trippled up in less than an orbit.

I get Ace 9 Suited.

We all call.

I had Four to the nut flush on the flop.

He goes all in.

He had rags suited, same suit.

I call.

He makes his straight on the river.

I had some pretty good cards that came in spurts, it sure helped. It gave me lots opportunities later to bluff on busted straight and flush draws, and slow play the high pairs. One pivotal hand that guaranteed a top 3 finish is when I took out 4 players at once on the final table when I called all-ins of shorter-stacked players with my KQs with Q-T-4 rainbow on the board. Next card was a Queen, then a rag which sealed the deal beating AK, KK, and AJ and some crap hand. Essentially doubled up from 5M to 10M in chips, which left the remaining field left with 2M, 1M and pocket change. Mopping up ensued. I believe the blinds were 30k/60k and at the end it was 50k/100k.

When Dag left, I was already bouncing up and down in the top 10, even before the final 72 had come to pass. I was hooked, Meeko, I just couldn’t walk away and blind out. I had to finish to see how I can handle the final table.

With luck, I was able to use what little skill I had. And with what little skill I had, I created a little luck to my advantage. Heh…NO…instead I was a bullying, rude 'n grim MF’r…

It is really fun to be a chip bully. In one of the facebook freerolls, and getting close to the bubble, I had close to 100,000 chips. Everyone else at the table had less than 7000 and trying to make the top 250.

It didn’t take them long until they figured out that I was going to make them go All-In if they wanted to play a hand. They weren’t going to put much of a dent into my stack of I lost.

I think most of us like the PokerStars setup. We should start a discussion about whether to move the Thursday Night game from Poker Mavens to Stars.

Maybe we could replicate the game at another night/time on Stars, and see how it goes.

Rephrasing what I said last night :

Of course, I’m biased [[After getting first]] but I could learn to love our new digs here.
**I’m firmly in the “lets move” camp. **

1. Remember it’s still in Beta, and all that entails.
  2. Remember that some of us don’t have real money accounts
  3. Stars apparently does take / institutes a Rake.

But I still think this beats the pants off of Mavens.
Should we take a better look at all the buttons and switches before too long?

I like Mental Guy, but, I’m just a tad leery of playing at his table.— Ok, I’m not, but I think we have a few customization and name changes to make, if we can.

And perhaps I am too forward here, but we should also nail down our schedules and game types.

Rephrasing something I said a few Quarters back : I would much rather have one good poker orgy a night, than to have two dogs that need to be put out of their misery.

I like the Stars setup and would not mind switching to it, but if there are players that only play the Thursday night league, they may not want to have to install the Pokerstars software. I doubt this is a factor for anyone, but it is a possibility.

I think the game last night replicated our Thursday night game fairly well except for me not scheduling a break. The blinds changed at 10 minute intervals, but they had more steps so they didn’t seem to go up as fast. If it seemed too long, we could reduce the time for each level, but we would have to go down to 5 minutes. I guess we could bump up the starting chips a bit. That said, I was fine with the levels last night.

If you wanted to experiment around with it for a few trials, we could do that.

Considering it basically just Pokerstars general software, I don’t think the beta is a big problem. I think they are basically just looking to see what features they may want to add.

One of the reasons I created the club was so that those of us that wanted to play for small real money stakes would have an easy way to do so, but I don’t think any of us want to eliminate the free games that we have. I especially want the “official” SDMB league game to remain a freeroll. Anytime someone wants to have a free tourney, they can request it, and I will set it up.

The rake would only affect players playing for real money and they would run into that on any site they play at.
The only way to change the name is to start another club. If someone would like to do that, then feel free. The only customization available is an image that we can display on the club screen and the background color. If anyone has suggestions for these, then let me know.

As far a schedule, I have no problem with scheduling set types of games at certain times, but I think we can still set up tourneys on request too.

i like the poker stars look and feel more than mavens.

and i signed up so i just have to hope that mental will approve my account.

and i gotta say i agree with meeko regarding frequency. i’d hate to see it get watered down and we end up back with only 5 - 8 players playing on varying nights. having said that for those folks that live on the wrong side of the pond it might be interesting to see what level of interest there is for an afternoon game (in the states) that would fit their schedule better. the only nights that are bad for me are friday and saturday. something about the kids and the missus and this nonsense they call “family time”.

I too like the Poker Stars set up and would not have a problem switching.

Now as for last Sundays 2nd round that I got into…

Thought the game was gonna start on 2pm PST, but should have known better…it actually started at 2pm EST = 11am PST. Fortunately, I was going to get on the computer early for some work and logged in about 11:40am and had about 1100 chips left of 1500. Blinds were 50/100 at that time. On my second hand, I was BB and was dealt pocket Jacks. Two or three called and I raised to 200. Flop was 2-4-5, rainbow. I think I went all-in at this point, two guys called. I had the lead with my pocket Jacks, the 1st to my left held A2, and the other had pocket Tens. The turn was no help to anyone, can’t even recall the card. The river card was an Ace, giving the win to the 1st guy on left with two pair. It took all of 4 minutes.

Funny how things tend to even out over the long run.

That entire game took about 8-1/2 or 9 hours, so maybe busting out in 4 minutes was a good thing.

Well, yeah…good point for those who finished w/o cash after blowing 3 or 6 hours and those who didn’t make it to the top 10. My parents came by about 3:30pm that day…Dad would have hung out with me and watched, but mom and wife would have been pissed if we stayed in the man cave without making some profit.

Courtesy Thursday Bump.

I assume we are playing at Mavens tonight.

I was wondering.

Did we ever officially even start PStars?

I don’t know that there is an “official” start. I intended it just to be a place where members could get together to play whenever they felt like.

I was assuming Mavens for tonight, then if players wanted to have the Thursday night game at Stars we could change.

I am planning to play and I can be at either location.

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean switch to Stars tonight. I meant that if in the future they wanted the game at Stars, we could set that up. I plan on playing tonight also.