SDMB Weight Loss Club, August

Bump. Another half-pound gone.

How many calories are burned by bumping threads? :stuck_out_tongue:

Many congratulations!

Ugh. I did that today. Except it was the McDonald’s drive through and a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. :smack: I had a weak moment brought on by two screaming hungry toddlers, crazy traffic on Belmont and a hungry 14 year old fresh from a doctor’s appointment. So we swung through the only place that didn’t require parking and dragging little ones in and out of carseats, and I made a foolish choice.

Oh well. 2 Point Soup for me tonight, and I’ll do better tomorrow, right? Right!

Right! :slight_smile:

Tomorrow is another day to get back on track. Today’s indulgence will be of no consequence in the long run. :slight_smile:

What is this 2 Point Soup you speak of? Mmm, soup.

Last week was my first week back on Weight Watchers, and I lost four pounds. When I logged in my weight on the website this morning, it griped at me for losing weight too fast. Don’t worry, little website, it won’t keep happening that quickly. It took a major effort of sloth and gluttony to maintain the weight I was at!

This particular batch is vegetable beef barley, made with leftover pot roast, the gravy from the pot roast, canned tomatoes, and every vegetable I could put my hands on. And a can of black beans. And barley.

Basically, every week or two I make “Leftover Soup” with leftovers from the week before and enough tomatoes in juice or chicken or beef broth to make it all float. I write down what goes in the pot and then use Weight Watchers recipe builder to figure out how many points it is. It seems that most broth based soups end up at between 2 and 4 points per 1 cup serving. This one is only 1.5, actually, so I get to add some crackers or bread for my dinner. I think it turned out way low because the gravy was so strong that I was able to add a lot of water and not lose flavor. Oh, and I put in a few cups of shredded cabbage, which is almost negative points!

Got 40 cups of soup out of the leftovers from a 3 pound shoulder roast. I froze 24 cups of it in 2 cup measures and I’m whittling away the rest.

I <3 soup.

I took my younger sister clothes-shopping today as a favor to our mom. She’s a size 4 or a 6. She got a lot of cute stuff and I got one shirt that I didn’t hate and was also cheap. I wasn’t going to go running today but now I think I will. I want to be able to buy myself nice clothes and feel good in them, too. Of course, I need a decent-paying job for that but one thing at a time. We also ate at the food court, ugh.

I continue to use the elliptical at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes.

I lift now 3 days a week and still see good progress in my arms.

I have found a new peculiar trait. I have always had a bad habit when shopping. I buy sweets to feed my addiction, promising myself that I will have one or two, but not abuse them.

Now oddly, I still can’t shake the habit of buying sweets. But when I get them home I don’t eat them. I have a box of chocolate covered donuts in the freezer and a bag of peanut butter M&Ms. The M&Ms have been here months.

I still have my little indulgences. But I am giving up my big indulgences.

Oh, i didnt know that SDMB had a “Weight loss club”… this is phenomenal! iv gone down several pounds, i can only say roughly as i never weighed, but about 20 since january, when i picked up american football and jogging… But as of late its grinded to a halt! hopefully SDMB can put me back into it! i can say i went from 100-105 down to about 90 kilos in that time… im at a critical stage as weighing wont revile much as i grow alot of muscle, specially in my legs, so looking forward to going back home and starting upperbody excercise…

(sorry for the spelling mistakes, its 1:30 in the moring and the alarm goes off in 6 hours >_> so im a bit stressed!)

Welcome, Viking.

Khadaji, that is strange about buying sweets and not eating them. Maybe it’s psychological; you know, as long as you have them in the house, you have a choice to eat them or not, and you don’t like not having that choice. Good work on keeping up the exercise, too!

For myself, I have a new low to report: 198.4 this morning. Down 1.2lbs. from my last low. See, I’ll hit a low, stay there for a day or two, bounce up a couple of pounds. But I never get as high as my previous “bounce-ups” and then a week or two later I’m at a new low. Strange, yeah. I blame being a female. Also, the humidity around here lately doesn’t help matters!!

The humidity here is nassssty right now. I’m sure it’s less in the mountains for you than it is here on the water, Norine… but jeez, I can’t see more than a few blocks ahead of me. I’m dehydrated because I just can’t drink enough water to keep up with the perspiration. Even in A/C!

It is funny how many times I end up bringing them to work and putting them out for people. I see them when grocery shopping, I can’t resist buying them. I get them home and leave them sit. It is odd and a waste of money, but I guess it is better than being a waist of money…

Sorry I haven’t been participating. I’ll weigh myself tomorrow.

I’m afraid vacation has taken its toll. But hey, swimming, walking, and lifting 5,000 pounds of luggage has to count for something, right? Half an ice cream cone, perhaps?

You’re right that the humidity is probably lower here (the temps a few degrees lower, too, because of the ‘mountains’). However, in the mornings, the mountains have a way of “holding on” to the moisture, so it’s quite humid in the mornings.

Ugh! I certainly would not want to be in the Baltimore area right now!

I’ll tell you one thing, though, with more than 1/3 of my body mass gone, I’m much more comfortable this summer than I was last summer!

WhyNot, that soup sounds great. Unfortunately we rarely have leftovers like that. My grandmother has a really good vegetable soup recipe that I should get from her though. It would be worth making a big batch and freezing in small portions like you described.

No kidding. 101 the other day and bog only knows what the humidity index is. This is indeed a stupid place to live.

Weight Watchers has a No Points Value Vegetable Soup that’s not inedible. It’s a little blah for me. Jazz it up with some cooked chicken or beef and a can of diced tomatoes in juice and you’ll be pretty close to my kind of soup.

Isn’t that something? It still surprises me that I don’t sweat like a pig the moment the weather even attempts to get hot. I’d always figured that was just the way it was with me. Now I barely sweat when it’s in the high 80’s. Of course, we’ve only had about two heat waves this summer for me to go by. Today, a week into August, it’s a balmy 61 degrees out. Weird.

I’ve noticed the same thing here. Also, I get colder much easier now. There have been times this summer that I have had to turn off the AC at night, and in the afternoon. Just not lately…lol. :smiley: