Shame on those that refuse the vaccine

I was right.

And it’s now fashionable to call repubs/conservatives scumbags when I was pretty much doing it all along.

#knowyourenemy

p.s. If you think that this is as bad as it gets, you ain’t seen shit yet. We’re headed for war. Accept it.

Some of the things you said were right. Which, let’s face it, is true for probably a large majority of the people who express opinions on these boards.

And some of the things you said were wrong, which is likewise true for most if not all Dopers.

Nobody AFAICT is taking it for granted that “this is as bad as it gets”. Nor is it particularly original or radical to think that political divisions in the US could lead to actual civil war. Again.

As usual when you get into your pompous-prophet mode, you’re setting up naive strawmen that you can attack with carefully vague predictions of impending doom at some unspecified point in the future. It has never been as impressive as you think it is.

Still, this digression is unjustifiably extending the hijack of the OP’s chosen thread topic, so I’ll shut up about it now.

Uh, okay.

Reminds me of that story arc of Rocky and Bullwinkle and the Goof Gas. The bad guys invent a gas that turns the victims into idiots, but it had no effect at all on Bullwinkle.

It reminds me of an illustration from the old Tunnels and Trolls tabletop RPG that I played when I was a little kid. I found a copy of it online:

Must be those same illegals who were bussed to polls so they could vote Democrat.

I’m sure good old American gumption will figure out how to manage this feat.

should have been the vaccinated and the unvacinated. :man_facepalming:

Sounds like the “illegals” have given a real boost to the American bus industry.

That’s a hilarious meme.

According to you, Covid is no big deal because those who died were “…on deaths Door and about to die of myriad illnesses anyway…” But you’re “…angry for all the people with terminal diseases who have been neglected…” A little inconsistent, aren’t you? (By definition, those with terminal diseases were about to die anyway). If you had any self-awareness, you’d realize that you’re angry that a doctor made a fatal mistake on your grandma so you’re not gonna listen to them on Covid, by god. Well, there’s every chance that mistake would have happened regardless of Covid – they’re common. And it sounds like that doctor thought like you did – why waste time on diagnosis of an old lady when she’s gonna die soon enough anyway – it’s not like your grandmas was a 30-year-old.

Even the governor of Alabama is trying to use the “shame on you” approach to get people on board.

All the while pointedly NOT using the state power to do damn much to actively compel or incentivize mass vaccination or masking.

Face it, this cohort of the population is resistant to “shame”. On the contrary, they seem to see having someone with higher social or educational status tell them they should be ashamed, as meaning they should double down on stubborn pride.

Even America’s most worthless governor (Parson’s of MO (not particularly stupid, not particularly (for a QOP) evil, not particularly anything) has allowed me to enter a drawing for a prize for getting vaccinated.

Meanwhile, he makes life & death decisions based on what some guy (he knows) told him some family (he doesn’t know) said was on a certificate (no one has seen) because none of the people in that chain could possibly have an agenda or misinformation. There’s a doctoral thesis in these people & their logic somewhere if you can write it without smashing your head into a wall repeatedly.

Basically the “cultural value” of “I’d rather die than back down to them”. These people would not just themselves die or become disabled, but find it worth it if thousands of others do, just to assert that Those Others cannot make them do what they don’t want to.

IOW, petty spite.

Anti-vaxxers aren’t ‘mental degenerates’, they aren’t confused or low-intelligence, or innocent victims of con men, they are perfectly intelligent, functional people, with access to all the info everyone else has. They made informed decisions & now they are facing the consequences of those choices.

This didn’t start with vaccines – for the past year+ these are the people who sneered at everyone who expressed concern about Covid, wore a mask, practiced social-distancing, and all other mitigation measures. (“Stop living in fear”, “Old people dying is no big deal, they didn’t have long anyhow”). These people celebrated when Covid deaths were concentrated in ‘liberal’ cities and minority populations. They delight in each & every death caused by the vaccine (all 10 of them), because it supports their idiot idea that a vaccine is more dangerous than Covid.

I’ll stop short of wishing them death, but I am thoroughly enjoying their suffering and fairly indifferent when they do die. I was flat-out gleeful when my neighbor landed in the ICU shortly after his latest anti-mask posting. And I chortle each time the cousin still having breathing problems three months later worries about his future (hard to do manual labor when you can’t breathe).

Being called a sick fuck by people who mock the disabled, bully the vulnerable, and torture children is not the insult you think it is.

It’s always worth looking to the wisdom of Mark Twain (said about a noted politician whom Twain held in contempt):

I did not attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.

You’re mistaken. You’re talking about anti-vax activists. I’m talking about people who could be vaccinated, but aren’t – the people who the “good riddance” applied to. It may be convenient to believe that everyone who doesn’t get the vaccine is doing so because they’ve chosen knowingly to make that a political talisman, but it isn’t true. Lots of them just don’t know any better, or are doing irrational risk calculation, which isn’t exactly a rare condition.

You also seem to believe I am “people who mock the disabled, bully the vulnerable, and torture children,” which is, let’s say, not in evidence. I’m the one who called him a sick fuck. I’m not the one selling anti-vax misinformation.

It’s good that you don’t wish death on them, though. We agree about that!

There is no lack of good information out there, supplied by doctors, public health experts, scientists and other knowledgeable people. Lots and lots and lots of good information. It’s hard to avoid all this good information.

What these people have done is make a choice. A choice to listen to right wing pundits on TV who tell them vaccinations are dangerous. (while they themselves get vaccinated). They have made a choice to listen to idiot memes on facebook, some of which are being promoted by behind the scenes by obvious fake accounts.

They could “know better”. They are choosing stupidity.