Should I get a restraining order?

What happens if the guy happens to be one of your supervisors? eh…

Count me among those who are not amused. Yeah, I see the joke in the OP, but it’s actually rather sad that a guy gets a law suit threat because he compliments a woman on her looks.

I agree that it is sad. I was hoping to make the woman look as unreasonable and reactionary as possible by my OP… thus showing how pathetic is was that she acted that way to a simple compliment.

You succeeded in looking utterly pathetic, Opal. :wink:

Well, I thought it was funny…

I thought it was funny, too.
I read this thread first, so I didn’t know what the heck was going on. Then I found the other thread. And everything made sense.
Except for the part were people turn oranges into bannanas.
But, that part never makes sense.

pat

I wasn’t sure if it was a joke at first either (not having seen the other thread), but I figured it probably was, so I made an effort to make my response as perfectly dead-pan as the OP. Okay, I’m at work, I’ve been stuffing envelopes for three days, and I’m a little bored. Sue me.

Okay, now tell me if I’m doing this right or not…

1. I recognized this as a parody.
  2. It was mildly amusing, and I think I understood the point.
  3. Hi Opal.

Is that how it works?

(original thread)

OpalCat, this was GREAT. I just hope plnnr saw it. This may explain why I haven’t had a date in umm… 14 months? I’ve been too NICE! That’s it. No more. Ladies, you can hold your own damned door!

Trust your instincts, however, don’t go overboard with a restraining order…yet.

This guy could just be really shy and it took some time to get his courage up to talk to you. It is sad in today’s society that women have to be on constant guard for attack and guys have to be on constant guard for every thing they say.

My Two Bits:

Change your routine, arrive earlier…or work 15 minutes later for a couple of days, see if he is always there. If he is, then there is grounds for concern.

Is there someone in the office that you can go in and out of the building with, sort of a protection/barrier from this guy?

What about building security at this place? Make yourself known to them, like right as you get off the elevator when this guy is on and walk right up and just say " Hi" for a few minutes. You can say " There is a guy that gives me the creeps blah blah blah…do you mind if I hang out here for a moment… and could you say, " HI OPal" tomorrow when I come in." That could be a good deterrent too.
Always be prepared
Look in the phone book for personal protection items
(pepper spray, etc.). Keep your keys laced through your fingers of your punching hand (I’ve always done this) that alone could keep some crazy person from attacking you.
And now, my stunning conclusion:

Don’t read too much into a compliment. Trust your instincts. and my favorite cliche du jour Perfect Paranoia is Perfect Awareness.

Good luck.

Opal,
You have GOT to start close-captioning your posts for the humor/sarcasm impaired.

For what it’s worth, I got a good laugh from it. :slight_smile:

Zette

HERE IS A LINK TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD THAT INSPIRED THIS SATIRIC ONE.

My advice: IMMEDIATELY contact a lawyer, and see if:
-you can file a sexual harassment suit against this guy
-see if you can sue the building owner for allowing a n atmosphere conducive to sexula harassment
-see if you can sue his employer
-see if you can sue your employer
That ought to cover it!

Handy wrote:

Huh??? Lost me there.

Shirley, either you just “whooshed” me or you didn’t see the part where Opal was posting in parody.

FWIIW, I thought it was funny.

Wait a minute…she was joking?

Diane, that’s just handy’s usual ‘read three words, then type the first thing that comes to mind’ style of posting.

Nobody else knows what the hell he’s talking about either, because he’s never read enough of the thread to make sense. (It would slow down his posting, which would trash his post count.)

Still, he’s mostly harmless - unless he works on the 17th floor of your building, in which case, buy Mace. :wink:

Y’know, when I opened this, I expected it to be about Cyberian54.

I’m sorry, it was me. I just get so speechles by your sexytude. When you looked at me, I watched your eyes. When you looked elswhere, I was checking out your supple body, especially the from your professional blouse down to the curve of your buttocks, miniskirt with black hose down to your spiked heels. But when I look into those eyes I just become overwhelmed.

Actually, he just sounds like a harmless, awkward guy. A lot like I once (and sometimes still am). You certainly have no grounds for a court order. I make eye contact and initiate conversations with attractive women. It is fun. He is just not good at it. Just be confident in your demeanor. Be respectful but firm. Smiling, nodding and saying hey to familiar people is not disrespecful. Of course, I avoid people at times tool.

ok, thanks to those of you who thought I was serious, but this was just a parody of a different thread, which is linked further up the thread in two places.

I don’t work in an office building, I’m a stay-home mom. I talk to strangers all the time and think that yelling at someone for paying a compliment is at best very rude. I was just trying to illustrate what a nutcase this woman seemed like.

However much we might not agree on occasions, this time we do.

I guess it’s a guy thing.