So it's a new year and not too long after the big holiday sales, what are you PLAYING right now?

Right now, I’m mostly playing an indie game called “Helldivers” on Steam, and sometimes firing up Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 when the mood strikes me.

I should be getting Fallout 4 next weekend as a belated Xmas gift, so I imagine that’ll overtake everything else for a while, until I solve it, or get stuck somehow.

Fallout 4 - I’m about level 25, have started faction missions with the Railroad and done much exploring, trying out various companions to see who I want to stick with longer term.

Far Cry 4 - About 10 hours in, a lot of fun.

Finished up Fallout 4 and my AC: Syndicate plans have been derailed by the number of friends I have talking up Dragon’s Dogma. So I picked that up and started it last night. Playing it as I wait on Rise of the Tomb Raider to get released.

I managed to resist buying anything during the Steam sale this past Christmas. I’ve just kind of ended some replay cycles for Banished and Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, and I’m not sure what I’ll land on next. I finally fired up Mirror’s Edge (purchased a few sales ago) and liked it, so I might continue with that. Or I’ll resume my Fallout 4 game.

I have been playing
Cities Skylines - after a few false starts I have gotten a decent infrastructure going and am making money instead of bleeding it. I’m up to about 3000 citizens and have most of the basic services - fire, police, med centers, schools.
Grand Theft Auto V - I havent done more than the first 3-4 missions because I’ve been messing around in the online game and have been having a lot of fun with that.
Magicians and Looters = A fun metroidvania game where you control 3 characters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
The Fall - Sort of an atmospheric platformer puzzle game. Kind of slow paced and it’s easy to miss items hidden in the levels, but an interesting story so far,
Ori and the Blind Forest - Holy shit that opening had to be one of the saddest, most depressing openings I’ve ever seen in a game. I’m not very far into it, but I hope the rest of the game isn’t as much of a downer…

I’ve been playing the hell out of this for the past few weeks. IMHO it perfectly captures the “character build” area of D2 that D3 utterly failed at while being much better in actual gameplay than PoE, so basically the best of both worlds or the happy medium depending on how you look at it.

Mostly Skyrim. >_>

As for stuff I’ve acquired recently… I’m about midway through day 3 of my second Life is Strange run. It’s much slower going than the first one, because I’m a) seeking out optional choices, and b) not charging along to see what happens, because I know the general story, and c) am agonizing more over the major choices, since I’m trying not to go through the same path as before.

Also got a couple hours into Among the Sleep, which is pretty legitimately scary, at least early on.

Minecraft. I’m always playing minecraft.

I’ve been trying to stretch myself by not only using redstone but taking the time to understand what I’m doing with it instead of just blindly following youtube tutorial videos.

I just picked up Sorcerer King today on sale. It’s the latest in the Elemental series (the previous installment being Fallen Enchantress). It’s interesting so far, though I’m not sure how well it’ll hold up after more than one playthrough.

It’s being billed as a hybrid of an RPG and and “asymmetric 4x” game. At the start of a game, the Sorcerer King has all but “won” by the reckoning of a traditional 4x game; you have to build up your strength while staying under his radar. Send heroes out adventuring to gather resources and build your reputation. The RPG vignettes were written by one of the regulars at Cracked.com, and IMO they’re pretty funny. I like how the the decisions you make during the vignettes give you points in personality traits (e.g. courage, compassion, or cowardice) that not only unlock new ways of handling subsequent vignettes, but also affect how you fit into the game world.

I’m working on the latest DLC for Witcher 3. I might even finish it someday.

I’ve been playing, off and on, both 7 Days to Die and Space Engineers. And I just picked up Ark: Survival Evolved the other day.

I really want to get Fallout 4, but I want to get it for really cheap so that the company that laid me off last year gets as little money as possible from me.

Of course, the main game I’m waiting for is No Man’s Sky… but that’s not 'til June, I hear.