So What's for Dinner Tonight? (2020 Anything Goes Edition)

If you make that soup, let me know how it comes out. The recipe seems pleasantly distinctive, but I don’t quite get the whole coriander seeds - the flavor might be nice, but the texture? Yuck, who wants to be crunching down on nasty little woody things in their soup?

So let me know!

Baked salmon with cracked black pepper, brown basmati rice, and diced sautéed zukes, summer squash, and onions. Maybe a nice chilled Sauv Blanc.

Broccoli and cheese baked potato. I made one last night and it was so good I’m making it again.

Cottage Pie. Was going to go the ale gravy route, but yesterday I picked up some soft garlicky cheese I had never had before. Figured yummy cracker cheese, but then read it’s wonderful in mash. So red wine gravy instead and cheesy garlic mash.

I had yum nua and half a small tom kha gai. Mrs. L.A. had tom kha w/vegetables and a Thai iced coffee. We didn’t touch the chicken satay, but we might yet.

Grilled top sirloin, corn on the cob, and Wasabi mashed potatoes.
And moose tracks ice cream!

I made the lentil soup. It was good. I wouldn’t eat it every weekday for 17 years, though. The lemon juice is a nice addition. I can definitely taste the coriander seeds, and I can feel them in my mouth occasionally, but I can’t see them, and they’re not really obtrusive.

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll give it a try at some point, probably, just for variety.

Hamburger salad. Kind of a deconstructed hamburger. Nice bed of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, chopped/diced grilled hamburger, dressed with mustard, ketchup, and mayo.

I made an apple pie for dessert.

My wife’s making one of her standards tonight: shakshuka (eggs, crushed tomatoes, bell peppers and onions) with home-baked focaccia bread, for dipping. We have it just about every week.

I’ve been hankering for autumn flavors, so a few things we’ve done in the past week:
-Bratwurst and grilled onions over a fire pit, when we visited my dad’s yard.
-Pasta with onions, oyster and cremini mushrooms, walnuts, garlic, and parmesan all sauteed together.
-Acorn squash stuffed with sausage, quinoa, dried cranberries, onions, and apples
-Roast chicken, roast potatoes

Tonight is chicken soup night.

Lucky you!

The last time I made shakshuka I doubled the sauce and froze it, so it’s waiting for me the next time I’m too lazy to make it (for breakfast).

Charcuterie and cheese plate tonight, with crackers, fruit and wine.

Pan fried pork chops done with a paleo crust, brown rice, and steamed broccoli. Simple & solid. Suav blanc & dark chocolate for dessert.

The leftover half of my shredded beef taco salad, and the remaining two-thirds of my tom kha gai.

Mrs. L.A. had her leftover shredded beef taquito, and is now eating pistachios.

Stuffed sweet potatoes - stuffed with mashed sweet potatoes, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, garbanzo beans, craisins, and pumpkin seeds, seasoned with chili powder mix (not straight chile powder) and black pepper.

And leftover lentil soup.

Turkey in gravy over stuffing with chunky cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes. Apple pie for dessert.

It was delicious, as always. I wish I could tell you what was in it, but it’s an old family recipe that my wife refuses to share.

My lentil soup recipe has me fry up cumin seeds and pour the seeds and the bit of hot oil over the top of the soup right before serving. It’s a delicious addition that really perks up the lentils.

Tonight is Tuesday, so it’s take-out night. Probably something from the Indian place. Y’all will consider my preferences to be boring and bland, since I avoid anything with capsaicin.

Last night was fajitas made with the leftover steak. Tonight I need to cook some chicken that’s been defrosting for a while, so either stir fry or chicken pesto linguine.