Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

When Barca’s buddy was introduced, Barca was already established as a major bad-ass. It actually gave him character. What the hell has he done this season except make out with dudes and piss in Ashur’s porridge (I will admit that was good).

Incidentally Barca’s character is falling victim to PC’ness IMO. He was established as being in a same sex relationship last season oh so he is all of a sudden a twenty first century homosexual, when in actuality a man like him would do anything that moves. It would be courageous of the producer’s to show him boffing some female slaves as well. THAT would make it historically accurate.

Watched Episode 2.1 last night. Maybe I was expecting it to be more like Rome, but I was a little disappointed. I like it, but many of the scenes seemed a bit comic bookish, and the gore was almost farcical-- more like Monty Python than serious drama.

Just getting to know the characters, so I’ll probably need to watch it again to really give it a chance. The Cocky Celtic Gladiator’s character was very good. Batiatus wasn’t very well developed for me, but then I haven’t seen any of season 1. I’m not seeing the villains that he and his wife apparently are (or become).

But here’s the thing. I don’t get STARZ, but this episode was on Encore. I’m wondering if it was just a teaser to get folks like me to sign up for STARZ because I don’t see any other episodes coming up on that network.

I don’t see how this has any effect on how gay a scene feels. Plus I didn’t really follow the rest of your post.

I suspect your point was a separate one and my post was merely a jumping off point, so I’m not refuting you. I will clarify that I wasn’t specifically talking about Barca, but rather using him as an illustration that to me, romantic and domestic scenes between gay lovers is far, far “gayer” than gay sex scenes.

Rome was a drama with genuine gravitas. Spartacus is an over the top cartoon. While it is full of win, it’s nowhere near the compelling journey that Rome was.

Spartacus is pulp. It’s raunch and violence. It’s not serious period drama. It delivers as lowbrow entertainment, but don’t expect Shakespeare.

I would say Spartacus is to Rome as The Walking Dead is to Zombieland. They are about the same thing and both are entertaining but for very different reasons.

Seriously? I doubt they had the actor *actually *piss on the guy’s face, of course it was a prop.

And no way do I want it to be less gay! That’s part of what makes it interesting. If it was just female tits and ass it would be boring.

So does anyone else think that they are leading up to Crixus killing Gannicus? He does *something *to end up as the Champion of Capua.

It’s been my assumption all along that he will. Too bad because I kind of like the Gannicus character. I like a character who is cocky but can back it up.

Do yourself a huge favor and watch season 1 first.

Really no kidding? Of course its a prop. But the point was that it was quite obvious that it was.

And per Crixus killing Gannicus and becoming Champion of Capua

Last season it was established that Crixus became the Champion of Capua in a fight against" two half men half wolves"

I’ve got 2 bits that it will be a murder/suicide by Melitta (Oenomaus’ wife).

Agreed, Cookies. Although I think Oenomaus will be involved, really - he might kill Gannicus after his wife confesses. Or something. I don’t think it’s Crixus that’s Gannicus’ end.

Would Oenomaus really blame Gannicus, though? It’s not like Gannicus had any choice in the matter. What else was he supposed to do? As slaves, they would all know that sexual performances could be demanded from any of them at any time, and that marital fidelity between slaves is contingent upon the whims of their masters.

Plus Oenomaus likes Gannicus, and is probably the smartest, most level-headed person in the entire series.

I don’t think Gannicus’ end is going to have anything to do with them. I actually think it’s going to wind up having something to do with the Roman dignitary. However, Crixus’ title at the beginning of season 1 was “The Undefeated Gaul,” so I wouldn’t bet on Gannicus if the two of them end up in the arena against one another.

I do remember “Doctore” stating to Sparty (it was almost a throw away line) something about his wife’s death and looking sad.

Sure that sucks that Gannicus was forced to screw his best friend’s wife. But on the bright side, he didn’t have to suck anyone’s cock!

It was a little more than that. He and Spartacus have a conversation about their wives the night before Spartacus’ wife is to be brought to the ludus (?) and Spartacus drugs Oenomeus.

My guess - based on absolutely nothing - regarding Oenomeus’ wife’s fate is that Battiatus will wind up having her killed for one reason or another.

I predict she’ll discover she’s pregnant with Gannicus’ child and will commit suicide out of shame.

Any idea how much before the events of Blood and Sand is Gods of the Arena?

I was thinking he was going to end up having to give her as a gift to that Noble that was visiting but that didn’t happen.

I was wondering that as well. It doesn’t seem like that much time between the two. Crixus needs to rise in prominence, but that might not take very long. It took Spartacus no time at all time become popular. Batiatus and Solonius are already well on their way to falling out. Asher needs to be injured and start to act as more of an agent for Batiatus.

Batiatus’ father being alive and Barca not being with Pitros (?) seem to be the other big things that need to change before Spartacus shows up. I assume Lucretia’s friend – Dexter’s crazy British girlfriend – will go back to Rome or die soon. She’s currently practically the exact same character as Ilythia from season 1 anyway.