Spidey - Orlando III (return of the Dopes)

I just wanted to bump this because I like being called a GeoStud. But also, I just got a FANTASTIC Universal Studios Fan Club membership FREE from my Human Resources Dept! I get a HUGE discount off admission (they don’t say how much, but it must be a LOT!) and other GREAT benefits! Not sure what they all are, but they MUST be GREAT!

Only 23 more days!

Well, here’s the thing. Cyndar has delivered the very sad news (via Live Journal) that she and her Amazonian pal won’t be able to make it. Booooo. Also, thinksnow mumbled (as much as you can mumble in type) his own cancellation - something about Orlandope being “derby weekend”. Sounds made-up to me, but I don’t know much about hats.

So, who’s going to be there? Time’s running out!
Elessar (Mr. Killdare)
elmwood (but he sounds uncertain)
FairyChatMom
Geobabe
katiekilldare
pricciar
Spiritus Mundi
TroubleAgain
UncleBill
velvetjones

Our party has lost a lot of its members. (Lucky for us, we cool ones are still around.)

So, just to recap -

May 3 - Friday night - Spiderman movie/dinner/fun
May 4 - Saturday - Universal Studios’ Islands of Adventure
Saturday night - fun at Universal City Walk or Downtown Disney
May 5 - Cinco de Mayo (but will probably end up be quiet breakfast and lunch)

I’m in the Orlando area now, so what should I check out? I guess I should see about ordering Spiderman tickets ahead of time…

Oh my God, this is going to be so much fun.

Pezpunk, broccoli, sign up already.

I don’t think I can make it. The funny thing is that a friend of mine is having a graduation party at pleasure island on the 4th!! So I would definetly come up there.

The bad news is that I decided on Saturday that I wanted to go to Costa Rica so I booked tickets. My trip is April 28th and I arrive back in Tampa on May 4th at about 8:30pm. I will probably be too beat to make it. Plus Mrs. Punk will probably want to spend some time with me since we wont see each other for a week (wink wink nudge nudge)

We will see about cinco de mayo but I imagine that everyone will probably be leaving Orlando early?

Hmmmm. My schedule seems to be strightening itself out, and it looks like I might be able to stop by on Friday. Not sure about Saturday yet, though: still too early to tell.

[slightly off-topic]

elmwood - I lost your phone number in the GCC (Great Computer Crash). Please e-mail it to me again: there are some more British pubs in town I want to check out.

[back to your regularly scheduled thread]

It looks like I’m going to have to join the ranks of the party-poopers. My daughter has a banquet that weekend - she wrote an essay that’s being recognized. Naturally, we’re going to attend. So I shall have to miss out on the fun…
:frowning:

I’m sorry you’ll miss the fest, Pezpunk, since you’ll be busy in Costa Rica (read: Clearwater Beach). I don’t know when people will be leaving town that Sunday.

But screech-owl, I sure hope you can make it. I’m in Maitland now; maybe we can have lunch talk aaaaall about it.

katiekilldare Criminately woman, I used to work in Maitland (okay, Winter Park, close enough)! E-mail me and we can do lunch, dinner, drinking round the world at EPCOT, whatever.

Congrats to your daughter, ** FairyChatMom** - what was the essay about?

I can’t remember the exact wording of the topic, but it was about the importance of sexual abstinence in achieving her educational and professional goals. I can tell you, it was a relief for me to read it - knowing the emphasis she places on her future. Plus she entered this contest of her own accord, so she came to the decision without nagging from me. I can feel secure in avoiding grandmotherhood for a few more years…

I drove over to the hotel yesterday, it’s a short walk to Downtown Disney, and will be perfect. I looked to see if advance sales for the movie were available. Doesn’t look like it.

Where should we eat dinner on Friday? When are you guys arriving? Is it too soon to decide this stuff? I’M EXCITED!

Sadly, the likelihood of me actually being there has gotten much slimmer. My dad turns 60 that weekend, and my step-mom is planning a party. I will keep checking the thread, though, and update you guys if it looks like I can make it.

I am looking to make the short (!!!) drive up from Miami (alas, in my car, not on the bike), so I may be a late-ish arrival unless I can sneak out of work early. Once I bust out of Miami traffic, I can fly pretty low and make up time on the Turnpike, so maybe a UncleBill arrival of 9-ish? Depending on the lovely and talented Geobabe’s flight times, I may adjust that to greet her. But I’ll have four wheels and two back seats! And I’ll be sober!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread a friend of mine is having a party of sorts in Orlando the saturday night you guys will be hanging out. Mrs. Punk may go up to hang out with them so I am kicking around the idea of getting off the plane at about 8:30 in Tampa and driving out to Orlando. I am not sure yet though. I am hoping that someone can post the saturday night plans on here once they are known so maybe I can meet up with you guys.
Thanks

I’m excited too. I’m not sure about Friday yet, my band might be playing in Winter Park.

What time’s the movie? Where is dinner happening? Universal City Walk has some decent places to eat though some of them may be a tad expensive.

I can’t wait to meet everyone. This will be so cool. If I actually get to meet people, I won’t feel like such a loser lurker anymore.

How will I know you? Name tags, matching t-shirts? funny hats?

NEWS FLASH!

Geobabe is flying into Fort Lauderdale early afternoon and we are driving up together, so a 5pm-ish arrival time at the hotel seems appropriate. See you at 6:30pm. :wink:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

My guess will be all the above velvet

Well, I think either City Walk or Downtown Disney for the movie. I’m leaning toward Downtown Disney’s Pleasure Island 24 (AMC theaters), since it’ll be so so close to the hotel. I’m keeping a look out for advance tickets to Spiderman.

In Downtown Disney, restaurant choices include Planet Hollywood, House of Blues, Rainforest Cafe, Wolfgang Puck’s something or other, and a Cuban Restaurant owned by Gloria Estefan. Take a look here. What do you guys think?

Definitely. Still New Years Eve countdown every night in the bar area?

It’s New Year’s Eve every night in Pleasure Island. It’s great - they shoot tons of confetti off the tops of the buildings. It’s about a $20 cover, and it gets you free entry into about 6 dance/comedy/jazz/adventure nightclubs. It’s 21 and over. Want to do that on Friday night?

Everyone over 21?

I want to have that option, and yes, Geobabe and I are of age. Barely, in her case.

Ha.