Star Wars The Acolyte

Trailer for the new series

It could be good, but it probably won’t be.

I was pleasantly surprised by Obi-Wan. I was really surprised to learn that Uncle Owen had a set of Rancor sized balls. Maybe they’ll strike oil with this one too.

Obi-Wan was… okay. It had its moments, and Ewan MacGregor couldn’t delivery a bad performance at gunpoint, but the dialog was mediocre and the plotting was atrocious. It wasn’t as aggressively awful as Boba Fett or Season 3 of the Mandalorian, but it also wasn’t anywhere near the level of Bad Batch or Andor - although to be fair, very few TV shows from the past 20 years have been as good as Andor.

I keep forgetting that I watched that.

Obi-Wan would have been much, much better if it had just been the titular character secretly solving crimes and righting wrongs in Mos Eisley to keep from dying of boredom in the desert.

I have enjoyed every Star Wars TV show at least 60% of the time, and some 90% of the time, and that’s more than what I got out of the prequels, so I’m okay with whatever they come up with. I’m not the biggest fan of lightsabre duels, but I can’t be too disappointed that they figure into the series so often. It’s part of their deal.

This series at least fulfils what so many have asked for, which is a story that is not directly a part of the Skywalker Saga, as it is centuries before any Skywalkers were born. So I hope they at least give it a chance for doing something they’ve clamoured for for so long. It’s a risk for Lucasfilm to do that, so please let it pay off.

The trailer doesn’t really give us anything though. No real plot. And Jedi keep getting surprised by evil!

And multiple Jedi constantly get their asses kicked by a single Sith.

On the other hand… holy shit, was that Manny Jacinto? “Any time I had a problem and I threw a thermal detonator, boom! Right away, I had a different problem.”

I thought Ahsoka was pretty good too, though admittedly that was helped due to watching the very attractive cast.

I liked Asoka too, although it had many of the same problems as Obi-Wan. My main issue was that it felt like half a season - nothing was resolved, and none of the mysteries were solved or even addressed.

OMG, this would have been awesome! I would have much preferred him having learned how to hide his force abilities and then secretly using them to help others then lost them. (I mean, if he doesn’t have the Force, what does he do if a threat appears??)

I discussed this in another thread. I didn’t think Ahsoka had a real conclusion; others thought it was a complete story. I think they need to skip trying to do Jedi training or make up things that are better defined. Being vague in training is not really training. Equally, I don’t think they fleshed out the two antagonists enough. I’m intrigued enough to watch more but it was meh to me.

I do like what I saw in the trailer for the Acolyte. I can also agree that the Sith always look better than Jedi when they are shown taking on more Jedi!

Apparently, this will be the first time we see a yellow lightsaber in an official SW movie/TV series?

Nope.

Huh. Well, thank you for the correction. Maybe they meant the first time on TV? I heard it on a YouTube review of the Acolyte trailer and should have checked.

This looks like Avatar the Force Bender to me for some reason.