Supernatural April 22 2010 "Hammer of the Gods"

So, does Lucifer take on the Super Best Friends next? :smiley:

With a title like “Hammer of the Gods” I really expected Thor would play a big role. Was one of the background filler gods supposed to be Thor? I think I saw one with long blond hair.

I really need to check out that Ghostfacers thing.

Matt Frewer, most recently the White Knight in Alice.

That was a glaring example, but I also meant the general chronology and heirarchy. Have the other Gods been around. If which God actually created the universe / Earth / humans? Or was the argument between Gabriel and Lucifer not about who created humans but instead just about that they became more popular than angels regardless of their origin?

What I mean by retcon is… please correct me if I’m wrong because I missed parts of the first two seasons… but wasn’t Loki the very first reference to an actual diety other than “God” on the series? I thought the whole point of turning him into an angel in the first place was so the show could switch over to the Judeo-Christian mythology, him having been the only major contradiction to date. But now they bring back other dieties, so it’s a retcon of a retcon.

That is how I took it - they introduced Loki a couple of times, then after the apocolypse started they re-introduced him, or better yet explained why Sam/Dean hadn’t killed him thrice before, as his being Gabriel.

IMHO, it would have been better had they explained all the ‘other gods’ as having also been ‘fallen angels’ that decided to use thier power/influence similar to Gabriels… but I’m pretty sure that would have aggervated too many viewers - it’s one thing to diss the Norse gods, its a whole nother to mess with Kali and a few more currently ‘active’ gods.

Although Bobby mentioned Loki by name as one of several Trickster gods, the name wasn’t officially used for Gabriel until this episode. And there were other pagan gods like the Scarecrow/harvest god from season 1 and the Christmas couple that wanted to sacrifice Sam and Dean…

Thats incorrect - earlier this season, Sam/Dean captured the Twickster/Loki with the angel fire thingy, and thats when they revealed that ‘Loki’ (or the Twickster) was Gabriel all along.

In case my meaning wasn’t clear; Sam, Dean and Bobby referred to Gabe as “a trickster” or “the Trickster” but had NOT referred to him as “Loki” specifically. Bobby mentions Loki and other “Trickster” type gods when he tells the bros what they are facing but this episode was the first time the name “Loki” is specifically applied to him. I know this is right because I just watched every episode that he’s been in. :slight_smile:

ETA: I realize now you thougt I meant that “Gabriel” had not been used before this ep; as is clear now I meant “Loki” hadn’t been used.

Finally got around to watching this one. Quite enjoyed it. Sure wouldn’t mind seeing more of Kali, if you know what I mean! :wink:

So, what are the guesses as to the unidentified gods? I kept trying to figure out who the blonde woman was.

Kind of a curious gathering. Baldur and Odin, but no Thor. And Kali and Shiva, but only Mercury representing Olympus…

There was a line very near the end, which I rewound and was still unable to catch. Not sure if it was said by Sam, Dean, or Loki, but the closest I could come was something like “spearmint rhino.” Didn’t seem critical, and it was getting late, so I didn’t rewind again with subtitles, but find myself a tad curious.

They all had name tags…

Mercury (Roman God)
Kali (Hindu Goddess)
Ganesh (Hindu God)
Baldur (Norse God)
Odin (Norse God)
Baron Samedi (Haitian God)
Zao Shen (Chinese God)

best line “Ok, you primitive screwheads, listen up!”

I was ready to see Dean whip out the S-MART shotgun, but no such luck.

Tho they all had tags, I don’t think you got a good look at every one of them.

You list 7 names. As I recall, there were 4 or so sitting along either leg of the table in addition to Kali/Baldur at the head, for a total of around 10.

ISTR a guy sitting to Zao Shen’s right, and a blond-ish woman at the end of that same side ofthe table.

Hey, whatever happened to Jesse the AntiChrist? I hope they don’t just leave that storyline in the dust… Then again he might make a good season 6 opponent…

The blonde woman at least did not get a name tag shown. I think she might be another Olympian, though who knows why they didn’t identify her.

What I think is interesting is that this is only SOME gods who chose to show up for the meeting. There are probably a bunch more out there who just didn’t want to come to the hotel. I was hoping for more esoteric gods, really only a few pantheons were represented.

It’d be cool if some of the other gods come into play a bit later, though I agree that it’s kind of annoying that they were so ineffective against Lucifer.

It was Gabriel - in the context of defending humans, he said something like “At least they try…and you should check out the Spearmint Rhino.” The Spearmint Rhino is a chain of “upscale gentlemen’s clubs.”

Thanks, man. I guess I heard it correctly. And I’m not sure whether I should be glad or sad that I did not understand the ref! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just thought of something else. During the Gabriel/Lucifer tete-a-tete, Gabriel posited that Lucifer’s issues were basically a cosmic hissy fit after their father brought home the new baby. Could it be…JESUS?! Or is there another reference in the Supernaturalverse that I’m missing? I only started watching the show midway through third season. Anyway, having Jesus show up would be interesting, to say the least.

I’m pretty sure Gabriel was referring to humanity in general.

I think DianaG is right on this one.

Also, I really really hope that Jesus never figures into this. I think that introducing the heavenly forces of light (God, Jesus, and, to a lesser extent, Michael) is a hell of a can of worms. I strongly suspect that the boys will wrap things up on their own and get treated to a “He knew you had it in you” speech from Joshua at the end.

Okay, I am putting this under a spoiler even though everything I know is second-hand and vague because I am trying to stay unspoiled.

[spoiler]
Like I said, I am trying really really hard to not be spoiled for the finale, but it’s been tough. (Well, I could avoid the internet, but what fun would that be?) Anyway, from what I hear tell, due to people’s reactions to stills from the episodes that have popped up, I don’t think that will happen.

This is because it appears to some people, based entirely on the stills, that Dean is possessed by Michael at some point in the season finale.[/spoiler]

Me too considering Lucifer’s downfall happened long before the birth of Jesus.