[QUOTE=want2know]
Am I the only one who doesn’t see Yul as some kind of Survivor god? I can’t stand him! That smug monotone, that “I’m-smarter-than-all-of-you” attitude…my Og, he basically told Becky that she wasn’t going to F2 with him, like he has the divine right to be there and decide who stands next to him!
[/QUOTE]
I always find it really interesting how different people can see the same things and feel completely different. I don’t see Yul as smug AT ALL. I don’t hear his monotone as an affectation so much as just being even-toned. That’s either his natural way of speaking (likely), or he’s just making an effort not to get into a tone of voice that pisses people off (which happens a lot in this game). I’ve watched every season of Survivor, and there are maybe three people out of all the players that I would actively LIKE to have as friends, and Yul is at the top of that list. I don’t see him as a “god” but simply as an extremely effective player of the Survivor game. He knows the game, he knows what he’s doing, he adapts quickly to changes, he plans rather than schemes, he will almost certainly get to the final 2 or 3 having pissed off very few players and done very, very little backstabbing. So many other players (in all seasons) are either hopelessly naive, overly social/friendly/trusting, overly scheming and backstabbing, overly confident, blind, or just plain stupid. Yul is none of the above.
Most of the winners of Survivor have done so either because they got lucky, or they ended up being the lesser of two evils. Very, VERY few have truly deserved to win because they really outplayed and outwitted. When/if Yul wins, he will deserve every penny.
[QUOTE=want2know]
Someone needs to take this smug little putz down a peg, and the way to do it is to vote him off next TC, get the idol out of his hands, and then take him out for real at the TC after that. Maybe this would be the “big move” everybody’s predicting for Ozzy, yes?
[/QUOTE]
See post #57. Unless they can get all six to go after Yul – which would require that someone agree to be the sacrificial lamb and voluntarily go home – it’s just too late to get rid of him knowing that he has the idol. I think it’s very clear that Yul made the same logical analysis that muldoonthief did, and that that’s why he revealed that he had the idol.
Yul is extremely intelligent and analytical. it was not a misstep that he revealed he had the idol, nor did he do it to save Candace from fruitlessly digging for it, nor did he do it to rub it into Candace’s face. He did it because it was the strategically right thing to do at that point in the game. Using the same logic as muldoonthief, he WANTED everyone to know he had it. Even if no one else is able to come up with that analysis as a thought experiment, the fruitlessness of trying to get rid of Yul would surely dawn on them as they tried to formulate how to do the voting: “Ok, the three of us will vote for Yul, and the two of you vote for Becky.” “Uh, but then after Yul brings out the idl, it’ll be a 2-2 tie. Which one of us wants to take that risk?” “Not me.” “Not me.” . . . say all the sefish kids.
And a thought just ocurred to me: An upcoming possible measure of Yul’s real smalts in this game will be if he deliberately doesn’t try his hardest at the car challenge. I don’t believe in curses and Yul probably doesn’t either, but if I found myself in that position, I’d reason, “Why take the chance? When I win, I’ll buy whatever car I want.” And besides, if you’re sitting in the final two WITH the car, you increase the likelihood (however small) that someone will use that as a reason to vote against you.