Take a guess at when you will end up being vaccinated

I’m 43 and like the OP have asthma that’s not severe enough to require daily maintenance meds. I’m hopeful that I get it by mid-April, though I suppose it’s possible it might not be until early summer.

One thing that makes me doubt it’ll be as late as summer is that I work for a university that has been very invested in testing students twice a week, so I won’t be at all surprised if they not only arrange for students/faculty/staff to be vaccinated sometime in mid-to-late spring (before the semester ends in mid-May), but in fact require we are vaccinated before coming to campus for the fall semester.

Just had a phone call from my doctor on another subject, and asked her this question. She had no idea. Best suggestion she had was to watch the NY Department of Health site and if/when they say they’re inoculating a group that I think I’m in to give her office a call.

I hope things get clarified a bit more than that by that point.

Are you people basing your guesses on some announced schedule? I’m 51 in a health connected field and my only guess is “somewhere in the middle”. No idea what month that’s going to be.

For me, my licensing board has told us that they’ll let us know when we’re eligible. My board is under the state health board.

This is what Fauci said about vaccine availability and herd immunity: (link)

There’s a lot of weasel-wording in that quote there, but a couple of points bear emphasis:

1. When Fauci talks about getting back to normal, he’s talking about herd immunity.
  2. We’re not expecting to reach herd immunity until (conservatively) 70% of the population gets immunized.
  3. Therefore Fauci is implying that everybody can’t get the vaccine before the end of 2021. (It seems to me that his forecasts have been reliably 1-2 months on the pessimistic side of the real outcomes)
  4. It bears emphasis that when Fauci says “more vaccines will be available to the general public in early April”, that absolutely doesn’t mean there will be enough for everybody. It just means there will be enough supply to begin vaccinating people other than front-line workers and the most vulnerable.

Personally, I wish they would prioritize immunizations thusly:

1. Vaccinate rich and famous people first, so that the medical skepticism of the hoi polloi will be overpowered by their fear of missing out on what the wealthy elites got first.
  2. Vaccinate teachers second, so we can end the debate over school safety and return large chunks of the population to normality.

Vaccination for teachers I would bump up slightly for the PR value of getting people to trust the schools again but frankly it would be utterly immoral to not do the elderly and health providers first.

Just found out that I’ll be among the first in line for Phase 2.

I’m essential as well and assumed I’d still be a few months out. I have no idea how far down the list of healthcare workers they are, but I saw on the news this morning that they’ve started on long term care residents.
I figured I’m still a few months out.
It’s odd, I don’t feel like an ‘essential worker’, but I’m still in fairly close proximity to several hundred people a day.

Meh. 3/4ths of the jobs are “essential”. It’s kinda ridiculous without much more specification. Is there a good reason a guy in the meatpacking plant should be lower down the list than grocery cashiers? How about everyone at the auto plant?

Where did you read that meat packers on not essential workers and would be behind grocery cashiers?

And the auto shops? And medical suppliers? And the box factories to place food, auto parts and medical supplies in? Has clothing and booze been deemed essential?

Yes, they are all “essential”. That was my point. If “essential workers” get moved up the line, what is the criteria?

I am picking 3/12/21 which will be a year ,3/13 actually , since this became real to me. I may be overly optimistic from your answers. I am not essential anything but I am older -but not yet elder.
I expect to be told when and where from my doctor/insurance/Keizer rep.

I think that on a scale like this, Machiavellian morality has to apply. I don’t mean in the popular understanding of “I’m in charge and I’ll do as I please”, but in the original sense that if I’m responsible for the wellbeing of half a billion people, then I have to accept that I have to live with the discomfort of being an immoral jerk to some if I’m to do the most good for all.

That’s why I just grit my teeth and smile while high-ranking COVID-denying politicians get the jab ahead of everybody else. They don’t deserve to go ahead of anyone else, but if it makes everybody in the country fight to get immunized first, well, that’s the outcome we all want.

Well, it’s complicated because many covid denying politicians are ooooold bastards. Lol.

Yeah. The vicious are going to keep infecting the virtuous until we all get immunized, so there’s little point in me getting worked up too much about who deserves to go first. I don’t control it and it’s above my pay grade.

55 no health conditions work from home. I’m figuring the earliest is April for the first shot and I’m hoping by the end of June. It is possible it will be Fall.

I’ve been told maybe mid-January as a non-sheltering higher priority essential worker. But I’m a little skeptical, especially since the vaccine seems to be rolling out a little slower than was originally estimated. So earlier than the average Joe, but how much earlier is hard to say. January-February, hopefully.

I’m early 70s, one chronic health issue, retired, I’m guessing June.
I think vaccinations are going slower than anticipated, vaccine supply may be an issue soon. Not having to work, for me, puts me at a lower risk so I expect to wait till at least June.

I’m turning 50 in um two days. Have diabetes and HBP. So I should be round 1b I’m presuming??

I’ll be 84 in a few weeks. High blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease. Hoping for January, expecting February. But so far there has been no indication how to sign up for it.

I know three people who have gotten it already. Two are physical therapists in WA state (sisters who grew up across the street from us) and the third is my DIL in MA who is a physician in a hospital. Although she doesn’t directly deal with Covid patients, she is in constant contact with people who do and her hospital has gotten enough doses for their whole staff.