Teenage girl hysteria in movie theaters?

Does this happen in the U.S.?

It happened to me last night here in Barranquilla (Colombia). We happened–kind of by accident–into a movie called Cazadores de sombras: Ciudad de huesos (City of Bones) that just came out, which I hadn’t really heard much about. I just thought, “What the hell, there’s nothing better in the mulit-plex,” and expected a typical “made-primarily-for-foreign-release” type of action/si-fi thing. From the cardboard cut-out they put in the lobby to promote current showings, I could gather that it was based on a best-selling series of books called Mortal Instruments, but I didn’t recognize that title, either.

Anyway, we were a little early, and walking into the individual theater for this particular movie we noticed groups of young women taking pictures of each other in front of the promotion boards for the movie. “Okay, they just like to contextual their Facebook photos, makes sense,” I thought. We sat down before most of the people, but as the rest of the audience started to file in, it became clear that they were all probably under 18, and ALL female, entering in groups of about five or so, greeting each other, etc., as though it were some kind of social event. I was one of only about five men in a theater of a least 200 people.

A few trailers and ads played through normally, but soon the feature film started, but it didn’t really seem so, because many in the audience were talking to each other adamantly, and I thought they were ignoring the film at first, but actually they were commenting on it. It became clear that the lead was a teen girl, but then the first male character came on (the “normal” male character who has a kind of quasi-platonic relationship with the young teen lead), and the first of the teenage girls’ shrieks started. “What, is that Justin Bieber playing the part?” I thought. No, it clearly wasn’t. As the other male characters appeared (all of them generic heart-throb type-cast, none of whom were recognizable), all the girls in the audiences would shriek and swoon. They were audibly on the edges of their seats as to when the moment would come that the main heart-throb “demon hunter” would eventually kiss the lead character, etc., and every word he said directing positive attention toward her it was as though most of the audience were on the verge of fainting. The reactions reached such tremendous volume that I had to read the Spanish subtitles to understand what they were saying in the English dialog track half the time.

I couldn’t figure it out. I asked my SO (who hasn’t been living here recently), but she didn’t know either. These weren’t Colombian celebrity actors; they were American and British, and not very well-known, as far as I could tell. It started to make more sense when I could tell that the girls could predict some of the key plot-points (by saying things like, “No! Don’t give him the chalice!” etc.) , but could it be that a series of books alone has such a great following in Colombia, or even in the States, that it would elicit such a hysteria? It was almost like those old movies of the Beatles where the girls are all shrieking and crying so loud you can’t hear the concert.

I really wondered: I know these series of books can often have fan followings that are pretty serious, such as this:

But from reading something like this I don’t get the impression that the author was shrieking at each appearance of the male characters as she watched the film.

Or maybe she was? Has anyone experienced this phenomenon with this movie or any others?

Fan boys and fan girls (of anything) around the world tend to feed on each other. When a gaggle of them reaches critical mass it can get noisy. It’s just that simple.

I’ll be the first to say it: Twilight. But the audiences were a mix of teens and 40-something-year-olds, instead of just teens.

Everything I’ve heard points to Mortal Instruments being a pretty well-known series, well liked by a similar demographic to Twilight, so your experience isn’t surprising.

Incidentally, it looks like all the young male stars have fairly extensive acting backgrounds (including one who was in Twilight AND Harry Potter), so they’re not all that unknown.

With that, I’m just gonna leave this right here. :smiley:

Well, I remember some imbecile woman who kept shrieking every time somebody blinked in 28 Days Later, but I gather this isn’t what the OP means.

It totally happens around the world! Young girls can be a crazy bunch. There was a near-riot at a screening of the new One Direction movie.

I’m definitely not going to see the new One Direction documentary in a theater, that’s fer sure.

Way back when, when Dune first hit the theaters, I went with a friend of mine, and there were about ten girls (middle school to high school). Approximately every two minutes, they would comment on how stupid the movie was, how it didn’t make any sense, and that it sucked.

“Why the fuck are you here, then?” My friend said as an aside to me.

Then Sting came on screen, and we knew. The girls stood up and screamed and cheered, certain that if they did so loud enough he would somehow hear them. And I’m pretty sure he did.

Hey, that reminds me of when I saw David Lynch’s “Lost Highway” in the theater. Imagine a scattering of inhumanly bored, dead silent viewers, except for a quietly chattering group of girls in one row all wearing gothic clothing. Suddenly they all jump up and cheer because the dude from Nine Inch Nails (I think) appears on screen in a cameo for literally a few seconds. They then sit down and start complaining that the only good part is over and that’s the only reason they came in.

(Don’t believe what anyone says: except for Bill Clinton, 1990s culture was awful all around)

Hee hee hee hee!!

Weird…I was looking forward to this movie (I really like the books) but not as much since it’s seems so badly cast. Other than Kevin Zegers, I can’t imagine why the girls find anyone in it worth shrieking about.

As for the rest of the OP, I suppose it happens in the US too, but I’ve never witnessed it myself. I never saw any of the Twilight movies in the theaters though.

I just saw this movie and in our theatre there were a couple of families with preteen kids, a few teenagers and several dozen people in the 30-50 age range. No screaming.

The movie isn’t nearly as good as the books but it’s still not bad.

What made me laugh about the experience was the restroom after the movie. Two early 30’s women were discussing the movie and complaining about how confusing it was and how hard it was to figure out what was going on. Seriously a 6 yr old could have figured out the plot. My friends hadn’t read the book and kept leaning over to whisper plot points before they happened they were that blatantly telegraphed.

I saw “A Hard Day’s Night” when it came to my neighborhood theater, a few months after its initial release. Some group of girls screamed through most of it.

Yes, and I was one of them. I thought the entire theater screamed. I went and saw it a couple times more and didn’t scream.

You think that’s bad, what about Brad Pitt movies? Women shriek and sigh with every close-up, laugh at his least funniest lines, and cheer at the wrong instances.

That’s what I thought might be similar, but I’ve never seen them in a theater.

What I’m talking about here is not just a few over zealous fans in the audience as some have described. I’m talking about essentially the whole auditorium.

I saw movie with him earlier this year and there wasn’t a single thing like that.

I participated in some teenage girl hysteria when I was 13 and *Titanic *was in theatres. It’s embarrassing in retrospect. A huge group of us got together to go see it, knowing that Leo was going to die in the end. We all sobbed through the part where he was chained to the pipe in the “brig,” thinking that he would surely die any minute!

Have you ever actually seen this happen at a Brad Pitt movie? Because I certainly haven’t, and I’ve seen about a dozen of his movies in theaters. Seriously, women shrieking at Seven or Moneyball?

On the flip side of the coin, when I saw The Expendables, there were a number of guys in the theater who shouted and clapped and punched the air every time someone got shot. It was a little unnerving.

Went to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Music Box Theatre in Chicago. Same thing… lots of people inexplicably talking and yelling. Never seen such rudeness.

When some friends and I saw The Ring there was one woman in the theater who was screaming her head off every time just about anything happened, which was weird because that’s not a movie with a ton of “Gotcha!” surprise moments (IIRC there’s really only one or two).